• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

National Post: Canada’s pot industry just failed its first test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article.

Something smells funny about the raids Toronto police launched last week on dozens of unlicensed marijuana dealers.

Police shut down 43 marijuana outlets, arrested more than 90 people and laid hundreds of charges. They confiscated more than 270 kilograms of marijuana, 24 kilos of hashish, $160,000 in cash, 127 kilograms of resins and spreads, and a big stash of drug-infused goodies, including candy, chocolate and 142 kilograms of pot-infused cookies. Charges included possession for the purposes of trafficking, possession of the proceeds of crime, plus dozens of zoning and licensing infractions.

According to the polls, and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Canadians are overwhelmingly supportive of marijuana legalization. Even though the legislation hasn’t been written yet, much less voted on, storefront pot outlets have been popping up like dandelions in spring, first in Vancouver, now in Toronto, eager to cash in on the presumed demand.

If the marijuana industry was as sober and responsible as it maintains, it would be delighted that police were clamping down on the free-for-all of illicit traders peddling a questionable product and giving authentic, licensed purveyors a bad name.

“These locations have a broad impact on surrounding neighbourhoods. There is no quality control on these products,” Saunders said. “This is no regulatory process behind this … You don’t know if you go to one store and purchase one brownie, or one muffin or cupcake. You go to the next store, how much THC is in this one versus that one? You don’t know … it’s a genuine health concern.”

Thoughts? Certainly in Vancouver, as the article says, the dispensaries popping up around here have been operating under a regulatory grey area, and Vancouver City Council I remember gave a hard deadline to those who were unregulated: get regulated, or face a shutdown. Even though said regulations were hard to get due to strict zoning bylaws.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Why are people opening stores if the laws haven't passed yet. What did they expect would happen?

Nobody is going to buy pot from some sketchy dude growing it in his backyard when they can go to 7-11 and buy a pack of joints with their slurpy, so the dealers are getting whatever cash they can before they become irrelevant.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I think they're going for an "overwhelm them until they cave" tactic, ala Uber. There are still quite a few dispensaries open in the city, and I wouldn't be too surprised if more kept opening up. Eventually, the city might like "fuck it". I think it's because a lot of people don't want the government to exclusively sell marijuana, like they do hard liquor

I see the crackdowns as a responsible reaction to stupid outlets selling/stocking before it's actually legal. As it is they're breaking the law and Saunders is on-point.

Will be a footnote once the shit is legal.

WaterAstro

There was one near my place that got shut down, and I hope it stays like that. I don't want those stores in residential districts in corner stores.

darscot

Seems like a complete waste of time and energy. Hopefully they get it legalized soon and sort out the whole mess. So much police enforcement is just stupidity or financially motivated.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I live in Toronto, and these pot shops are stupid. Alcohol is legal to buy, but I can't sell it at a store without a license. People need to wait for the regulation.

The real thing here is that pot is going to be a billion dollar business, and people are scared that if they don't get in right away. they won't be able to compete, so they're jumping in ahead of the laws.

People love blaming the "fascist" cops and the "right wing" mayor, but let's be honest, businesses operating without license or oversight in an unregulated market outside of the written law and without regard to proper labeling and health standards is the most right-wing thing I can imagine.

bonus vid: Vice on the Toronto edibles scene

http://youtu.be/-mPINKOuwGM

People love blaming the "fascist" cops and the "right wing" mayor, but let's be honest, businesses operating without license or oversight in an unregulated market outside of the written law and without regard to proper labeling and health standards is the most right-wing thing I can imagine.

Absolutely agree on this. I am a proponent of legalization, but what really grinds my gears is when Marc Emery and his followers, alongside the young dude-bro pot smokers decide that regulations are for wimps. What do they fucking expect when the Libs put in the proposal? That it's going to be open season? Hell no.

I wonder if it also comes down to the small guys getting their money before the big pharmacies come in. I know at least here in BC, one of the major drug store chains, London Drugs, has said that they are looking into getting into dope when it becomes legalized.

Take pot out of the equation and it's just people selling a good without regulation/licenses. I don't see how you could make a legitimate argument in favor of it.

darscot

I don't think its "facist" cops, but i do seriously question the priorities of the police. They have accomplished nothing , yes they closed a few shops down and with an a couple hours instead of a shop they will be a dude standing on the corner. Its just a waste of time. The shops I have seen try and keep a low profile, they are clean and trying to avoid hassle. It's not like they have stopped anyone from selling pot.

Article says Health Minister is tryign to get it tabled by next spring or thereabouts

Ahh, alright good. I was just worried it had been put on the back burner. I can suffer through another year or so of varying degrees of illegal weed from current suppliers if it means the government can get all its ducks in a row for a properly regulated legal distribution network.

Ahh, alright good. I was just worried it had been put on the back burner. I can suffer through another year or so of varying degrees of illegal weed from current suppliers if it means the government can get all its ducks in a row for a properly regulated legal distribution network.

I don't think the Libs can back out on that promise they made during the election, nor electoral reform considering they campaigned pretty hard on it.

The NDP was definitely right on one point: They should have put in place immediate decriminalization while the groundwork for legalization can be put into place. They knew this shit would happen.

benjipwns

Banned
Take pot out of the equation and it's just people selling a good without regulation/licenses. I don't see how you could make a legitimate argument in favor of it.
The potential regulations/licenses are unnecessary and exist purely to prop up cronyism and the failed drug war?

The potential regulations/licenses are unnecessary and exist purely to prop up cronyism and the failed drug war?

"This is no regulatory process behind this … You don’t know if you go to one store and purchase one brownie, or one muffin or cupcake. You go to the next store, how much THC is in this one versus that one? You don’t know … it’s a genuine health concern.”

Of course the police were going to crack down. The legislation hasn't been written yet and won't be written until 2017. This is just inpatient people trying to get ahead of the curb and make some quick cash.

The NDP was definitely right on one point: They should have put in place immediate decriminalization while the groundwork for legalization can be put into place. They knew this shit would happen.

That would encourage even more irresponsible and temporarily illegal activity. Turning the weed business into the wild west would be the worst possible thing for it.

darscot

That would encourage even more irresponsible and temporarily illegal activity. Turning the weed business into the wild west would be the worst possible thing for it.

Its been the wild west for the last 50 years how is it finally getting of the streets and heading towards legitimacy a bad thing.

Twiforce

Capitalist government acts like the fucking Mafia, raids a couple of shops over a harmless plant and ruins a couple of lives with prosecutions that will cause psychological suffering which stories like these never mention.

Headline blames the victims for failing a "test."

Otherwise decent people internalize the logic of the abusive relationship between State and people, justify the cycle of violence with "well it's the law"

Business as usual in capitalist, statist 'democracy.'

Jebusman

Banned
Capitalist government act like the fucking Mafia, raids a couple of shops over a harmless plant and ruins a couple of lives with prosecutions that will cause psychological suffering which stories like these never mention.

Headline blames the victims for failing a "test."

Otherwise decent people internalize the logic of the abusive relationship between State and people, justify the cycle of violence with "well it's the law"

Business as usual in capitalist, statist 'democracy.'

I.... is this a joke post?

I nearly cut myself on the edge.

I.... is this a joke post?

I nearly cut myself on the edge.

Considering both this and Benji's post, I'm leaning towards 'serious'

Hey, if they want their brownies to be laced with fentanyl, be my guest. Maybe then they'll be talking the capitalist governments acting like mafia.

darscot

So you don't get skunk weed up in Canada? I want to know what I'm buying and that it's clean.

Skunk is awesome, if you mean like some kind of shit product or bad weed. Up here that has always been some kind of urban legend. People saying I got out of my mind that joint must have been laced with bad shit. Its fucking laughable there is no motivation to lace weed with other stuff. Weed is everywhere and it very top quality.

Jebusman

Banned
Skunk is awesome, if you mean like some kind of shit product or bad weed. Up here that has always been some kind of urban legend. People saying I got out of my mind that joint must have been laced with bad shit. Its fucking laughable there is no motivation to lace weed with other stuff. Weed is everywhere and it very top quality.

I can only go by anecdotal evidence to the contrary.

Being someone tried to hand a joint laced with what I can only assume was LSD to a friend of mine. So yeah, nah, it happens.

darscot

I can only go by anecdotal evidence to the contrary.

Being someone tried to hand a joint laced with what I can only assume was LSD to a friend of mine. So yeah, nah, it happens.

Would smoking LSD even do anything and drug dealers often give way product for free, they throw all kinds of expensive drugs into 5 dollars joints. rollseyes

I mean like I smoke and I barely get high. Or if I'm buying edibles they contain an appropriate amount of the drug as opposed to a tiny bit.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Considering ontario Libs want to sell pot from the LCBO... what those people did was very fucking stupid lol

darscot

I mean like I smoke and I barely get high. Or if I'm buying edibles they contain an appropriate amount of the drug as opposed to a tiny bit.

Ha ha, I have never heard anyone complain from buy from any of these shops. If people complained by all means have the police raid them. This has nothing to do with that. These places sell very good stuff.

Madness

Why are people opening stores if the laws haven't passed yet. What did they expect would happen?

Make as much easy money and try to get a leg up. Think about people with tons of illegal moonshine on the eve of prohibition repeal, what are they going to do with all that booze?

Its been the wild west for the last 50 years how is it finally getting of the streets and heading towards legitimacy a bad thing.

I'm not saying that marijuana shouldn't be legal at all. But the process of legalizing it needs to be gradual, not 'okay no one goes to jail now and we'll make up the rules later.' Legalization brings a lot of new attention from the middle and upper class. When it goes badly they support it less, which can lead to roll back. Look it some of the problems that Oregon has had and how its slowed things down.

Because it's so legit right now?
I'd argue the mass incarceration we're allow to keep going due to minor drug charges is far worse. Not to mention we're wasting time and money arresting people for things we know will be legal within a year.

Not to mention the reason it was made illegal wasn't even for poor business practices or organized crime at the time. It was due to some pretty flimsy ideas of how weed works, not to mention some undeniably racist and anti-left reasons.

Ha ha, I have never heard anyone complain from buy from any of these shops. If people complained by all means have the police raid them. This has nothing to do with that. These places sell very good stuff.
I think you are missing the point. If there is no regulation then consumers have no power to complain. There would be no "police raids". Also, saying they all sell very good stuff today doesn't mean they always will. What if a couple stores corner the market and the other ones are hurting for money. What's to stop them from cutting corners to increase their profit margins?

benjipwns

Banned
Make as much easy money and try to get a leg up. Think about people with tons of illegal moonshine on the eve of prohibition repeal, what are they going to do with all that booze?
Give it to politicians to try and get them to stop repeal?

I'm not saying that marijuana shouldn't be legal at all. But the process of legalizing it needs to be gradual, not 'okay no one goes to jail now and we'll make up the rules later.' Legalization brings a lot of new attention from the middle and upper class. When it goes badly they support it less, which can lead to role back. Look it some of the problems that Oregon has had and how its slowed things down.
How could it go "badly"?

I think you are missing the point. If there is no regulation then consumers have no power to complain. There would be no "police raids". Also, saying they all sell very good stuff today doesn't mean they always will. What if a couple stores corner the market and the other ones are hurting for money. What's to stop them from cutting corners to increase their profit margins?
Does McDonalds worry you this much?

Twiforce

I'm not saying that marijuana shouldn't be legal at all. But the process of legalizing it needs to be gradual, not 'okay no one goes to jail now and we'll make up the rules later.' Legalization brings a lot of new attention from the middle and upper class. When it goes badly they support it less, which can lead to role back. Look it some of the problems that Oregon has had and how its slowed things down.

What exactly is going to go badly? Shall we continue to ruin lives by inflicting prison on harmless people? Is that preferable to upsetting the sensibilities of uptight middle class white people?

darscot

Are you serious are just kidding around, your concerned about profit margins in an industry that literally money grows on trees. Corner the market, hurting for money? We are talking about selling pot. Lets try and keep this in the bounds of reality, maybe time to put that pipe down and ease down your paranoia level. You talking a lot of fucking what ifs.

Are you serious are just kidding around, your concerned about profit margins in an industry that literally money grows on trees. Corner the market, hurting for money? We are talking about selling pot. Lets try and keep this in the bounds of reality, maybe time to put that pipe down and ease down your paranoia level. You talking a lot of fucking what ifs.
Sorry but no, you are spouting some serious anti-consumer rhetoric that screws poor people all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom