• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NAtURAL DOCtRINE Import |OT| - GAME OVER MAN! GAME OVER!

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I see.

I have been watching a lot of videos from the game and the Vita version looks crazy over saturated, can you confirm if that is the case.

looked fine to me or i would have mentioned it. if anything its the ps4 version that looks weird with the ugly character models showing up in high res. lol

Parakeetman

http://t.co/uxBItYQxDe

http://t.co/LCsJRaS7A4

(SH taken from utube with Vita SH function)

Maybe it's the lighting?

as stated before didnt notice anything major. cant tell from screenshots on a mob device.

most of the time im too busy actually playing a game than caring about little things that dont matter truthfully.

unless its something horrid like the excessive bloom in syndicate or the actual frame rate problems two worlds 360 had chances are i wont really mention little things.

though if a game has excessive loading times like sen no kiseki vita had prepatch thats another thing ill usually call out.

as stated before didnt notice anything major. cant tell from screenshots on a mob device.

most of the time im too busy actually playing a game than caring about little things that dont matter truthfully.

unless its something horrid like the excessive bloom in syndicate or the actual frame rate problems two worlds 360 had chances are i wont really mention little things.

though if a game has excessive loading times like sen no kiseki vita had prepatch thats another thing ill usually call out.

I am not trying to hate on the game.

You have played the game and know how it feels to play, but I have only seen the game through pictures and videos so it's hard for me to skip the analysis of the game as visuals. ;)

Edit: I asked this in the review thread but haven't got any answers yet and you maybe can explain it to me. What is the purpose of the melee characters automatically moving to a zone that is cleared of enemies?

Doombear

Cross quoting from the PSN thread.

Nice review, especially this part:

but it still feels silly to play a game where you’re some dude named Jeff.

Hehe. I am kind of bummed that I had to put this on the waiting list in favor of picking up Mordor this week. The positive reviews I have read in the last couple days excite me, as I will still be grabbing it soon either way!

Parakeetman

I am not trying to hate on the game.

You have played the game and know how it feels to play, but I have only seen the game through pictures and videos so it's hard for me to skip the analysis of the game as visuals. ;)

Edit: I asked this in the review thread but haven't got any answers yet and you maybe can explain it to me. What is the purpose of the melee characters automatically moving to a zone that is cleared of enemies?

its to supposedly prevent enemies from moving into it. when your characters or an enemy occupy a square the opposing side are not able to pass through it. so with that in mind need to be careful when setting up whos attacking the adjacent square as everyone who partook in the attack moves to that square.

in the ot had made vids from both the ps4 ver and vita running on the vita tv for those who were curious as to the graphical difference.

Corpekata

Banned
Script is weird. Tutorial covers that Whatsherface is the client. After clearing the tutorial....another conversation about the fact she's the client. Pink Hair freaks out about this. Again.

Parakeetman

Hey, what's wrong with Jeff? It kinda cool right?
Right?
Geoff is better thougj I admit

both names fucking suck personally. and yeah outside of the lesser treaded subject of racism that this game does take on, the story is a mess thats shotgunned all over the place plotwise and does not really seem to go anywhere.

considering where i left off was 75 percent done with the game id say its impossible to cram the rest in and tie it off neatly.

though as stated before with the plot and graphics aside those who want a challenging and unique srpg experience most def get this.

Shengar

though as stated before with the plot and graphics aside those who want a challenging and unique srpg experience most def get this.

Natural Doctrine is on my to-get list, and my Vita needs a new game so I'll definitely get it. But first I need to finish Wasteland 2 first :p

This game is rough. You think you can stick someone out just two spaces, and bam, Game Over. Opening a door is like defusing a bomb. And, there are situations early on that require utilizing the Link Turns just to run-the-fuck-away.

I'm liking it. My only complaints so far is that I dislike wasting a turn to open treasure chest and that the camera doesn't clip walls.

I'm enjoying it quite a lot, being able to defeat the Troll in the jail cell perfectly was a euphoric moment, understanding the mechanics and being able to cancel enemy turns is satifying. Definitely get this game if you're the type who has always wanted more depth in strategy rpg's than go here, hit this guy now guard and let one enemy do his thing now do it again, rinse amd repeat. This games weakest enemies will chop you up if you let them surround you.

both names fucking suck personally. and yeah outside of the lesser treaded subject of racism that this game does take on, the story is a mess thats shotgunned all over the place plotwise and does not really seem to go anywhere.

considering where i left off was 75 percent done with the game id say its impossible to cram the rest in and tie it off neatly.

Jeff/Geoff is better than the multiple horrible Japanese rpg names Japan seems to think people actually name their children in english. Edge maverick, squall leaonhart, cloud strife.. and so on, I guess it's just such a mind screw to find a main character who isn't named after a phase of the moon folks just don't know how to process it. He's a normal dude caught up in some gnarly mess, his mom didn't name him to become the next square Enix emo semi anti hero. He named him that cause she probably liked how it sounded and wanted him to be a botonist.

/Name rant

Parakeetman

I'm enjoying it quite a lot, being able to defeat the Troll in the jail cell perfectly was a euphoric moment, understanding the mechanics and being able to cancel enemy turns is satifying. Definitely get this game if you're the type who has always wanted more depth in strategy rpg's than go here, hit this guy now guard and let one enemy do his thing now do it again, rinse amd repeat. This games weakest enemies will chop you up if you let them surround you.

Jeff/Geoff is better than the multiple horrible Japanese rpg names Japan seems to think people actually name their children in english. Edge maverick, squall leaonhart, cloud strife.. and so on, I guess it's just such a mind screw to find a main character who isn't named after a phase of the moon folks just don't know how to process it. He's a normal dude caught up in some gnarly mess, his mom didn't name him to become the next square Enix emo semi anti hero. He named him that cause she probably liked how it sounded and wanted him to be a botonist.

/Name rant

and at the end of the day its still a shitty name. ヽ(・∀・)ノ esp when you look at the other weird names the supporting characters have.

yep nothing worse than having died to mob of goblins while pluton hunting, leveling due to doing something stupid lol

although there literally is one stage designed specifically to kill the player and nothing else really. am sure folks will understand when they get there.

The US version is definitely 1.02 or 1.03, golem can't be healed by Nebula.

It's a decent SRPG, difficulty is somewhat overrated.

The US version is definitely 1.02 or 1.03, golem can't be healed by Nebula.

It's a decent SRPG, difficulty is somewhat overrated.

I hate that Golem can't be healed by Nebula, would have made him last much longer :(
And yeah, its a difficult game but the way they made it sound like it was unfairly so, most of them being completely clueless as to why they were constantly getting killed by a group of weak enemies..just makes me think they didn't take the time to actually learn the mechanics and calling the game unfair because of it.

and at the end of the day its still a shitty name. ヽ(・∀・)ノ esp when you look at the other weird names the supporting characters have.

yep nothing worse than having died to mob of goblins while pluton hunting, leveling due to doing something stupid lol

although there literally is one stage designed specifically to kill the player and nothing else really. am sure folks will understand when they get there.

Which one is that? I do recall the orc champion weapon mine where I had to pay attention to the fact they kept saying "uh oh, a trap" to get that I wasn't supposed to be trying to fight the room full of death. I haven't looked back but I might once i get my shooters leveled up some more.

I watched some videos of this on PSN and it looks like the game I've always dreamed of.

Yet people say it's hard to the point of being hostile to the player, and not in a good way.

Dammit, wish there was a demo.

autoduelist

And yeah, its a difficult game but the way they made it sound like it was unfairly so, most of them being completely clueless as to why they were constantly getting killed by a group of weak enemies..just makes me think they didn't take the time to actually learn the mechanics and calling the game unfair because of it.

Yeah, I'm playing my first time and set it to 'lethal'. Nothing seems impossible so far. Sure, there are rooms to avoid here or there but the checkpoint system works well with those (open, die, start just before I opened it, smart enough to no longer open that door till I come back leveled up).

Giant armies of goblins require an understanding of chain/link mechanics to avoid death, but you can't fault a game for requiring you to understand it's mechanics to proceed. If it wasn't hard enough to kill me if I mess up / don't use the chain/link properly, it would mean the system was pointless.

I hope people pick this up. It requires actual strategy/tactics in a way few games do. I heartily recommend it to anyone who likes srpgs.

Parakeetman

I hate that Golem can't be healed by Nebula, would have made him last much longer :(

Which one is that? I do recall the orc champion weapon mine where I had to pay attention to the fact they kept saying "uh oh, a trap" to get that I wasn't supposed to be trying to fight the room full of death. I haven't looked back but I might once i get my shooters leveled up some more.

Yeah pretty much if one doesnt learn the game system it will seem like enemies have endless turns lol

Its one of the further into the game optional dungeons. D:

Best demotivational poster that perfectly fits the game.
KFouPGA.png

Parakeetman

So, as a fan of Tactics Ogre, Jeanne d'Arc and FF Tactics, is this game for me or not?

Serious question

The battle system is quite different from those games which are all basically move a single unit type of thing.

This one works a lot more on linking together unit movement and such. Really need to find you a video in english that you can watch, since its easier to view and understand than have something written out in text. Will add it here if I find the link someone else had in a different thread. *found it

A playthrough of the English version, I'm going to cop it for sure.

Natural Doctrine Walkthrough Part 1 Gameplay Lets Play PS4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvaA4U_0BzU
the other parts are on the right, I watched till I had an idea of the batle system!

As myself and others have said if you like SRPGs and want something a bit more unique and challenging this game is most def it. But you do need to take time to learn the game mechanics as its different from the usual SRPG. One thing though is dont really expect a good story / character development lol

The battle system is quite different from those games which are all basically move a single unit type of thing.

This one works a lot more on linking together unit movement and such. Really need to find you a video in english that you can watch, since its easier to view and understand than have something written out in text. Will add it here if I find the link someone else had in a different thread. *found it

As myself and others have said if you like SRPGs and want something a bit more unique and challenging this game is most def it. But you do need to take time to learn the game mechanics as its different from the usual SRPG. One thing though is dont really expect a good story / character development lol

I'm gonna watch the video now. Something tells me to just avoid this game, but there's a part of me that thinks it may be something I'd regret missing out on.

Brew124

I've only put a couple hours into the game so far, but I've mostly enjoyed my time with it. Made some stupid mistakes here and there that ended up killing me, but overall, it's pretty good.

The game is out on the EU PSN store now, but is the price of the vita version and the ps3 version really supposed to be the same. Is it like this in JP and US as well?

autoduelist

So, as a fan of Tactics Ogre, Jeanne d'Arc and FF Tactics, is this game for me or not?

Serious question

Possibly. If you like the tactics side of those games, and don't mind a slightly different approach to your standard attack queues, then I'd say yes.

The combat system is quite different from those, but ultimately you're taking a team of characters up against squads of enemies, just like in other SRPGS. Combat isn't tile based, and rather than a simple 'queue' showing who goes next, you can chain commands together in various ways. It's pretty easy to pickup, though the challenge lies in that the enemy can also chain and link, so if you overextend yourself you'll see the enemy beat you to a pulp.

It's not the hardest game in the world, but it's certainly more challenging than an introductory srpg like Jeanne D'arc.

Possibly. If you like the tactics side of those games, and don't mind a slightly different approach to your standard attack queues, then I'd say yes.

The combat system is quite different from those, but ultimately you're taking a team of characters up against squads of enemies, just like in other SRPGS. Combat isn't tile based, and rather than a simple 'queue' showing who goes next, you can chain commands together in various ways. It's pretty easy to pickup, though the challenge lies in that the enemy can also chain and link, so if you overextend yourself you'll see the enemy beat you to a pulp.

It's not the hardest game in the world, but it's certainly more challenging than an introductory srpg like Jeanne D'arc.

I see. I certainly like a lot the strategic part of those games and I don't mind trying something different in terms of combat and movement. I don't mind getting a challenging game either. Thanks guys! I will make my mind during this days.

Alric

Reading some of your comments on the game have me excited to play. Two questions.

I saw cards in game in some screenshots, what are those for?
Does armor or weapons change look if you equip new ones?

Still, I gotta find a copy at gamestop soon

Parakeetman

Reading some of your comments on the game have me excited to play. Two questions.

I saw cards in game in some screenshots, what are those for?
Does armor or weapons change look if you equip new ones?

Still, I gotta find a copy at gamestop soon

The cards are from MP, its for selecting your party as each one has its own point cost which makes up the "deck" for the party thats used in multiplayer.

Only weapons / shields change, armor graphic itself does not.

There are no towns, shops, NPC to talk to etc.

autoduelist

still loving this game, jus have one question... are weak walls obvious? i saw the one in the tutorial dungeon but none since. starting to get worried im missing lewt.

Parakeetman

still loving this game, jus have one question... are weak walls obvious? i saw the one in the tutorial dungeon but none since. starting to get worried im missing lewt.

They should be for the most part.

Also be sure to grab EVERYTHING on story missions as you cant go back to them ever again. Thats where better weapons are too and it does make a diff personally. Am talking about chests that is.

I missed some stuff and it hurts later on. D:

Parakeetman

this game looks pretty fun, but dem graphics are looking almost ps2ish at times.

As mentioned yeah the graphics are shit. So if one is into pretty shiny things dont get the game lol.

Gameplay wise it is highly amusing for the most part though.

I actually love the look of it.

I know it looks old, but something about it I find so appealing. Haven't played it though...

Parakeetman

I actually love the look of it.

I know it looks old, but something about it I find so appealing. Haven't played it though...

Its just more the character models that look odd. Whoever made those character models / skins should hang their head in shame. Esp Anca or however they translated her name as her mode has its mouth hanging open all the time like shes trying to catch flies. lol

Am sure folks will notice soon enough

Parakeetman

So the PS4 version has no benefits?

In Japan the benefit of PS3 / PS4 was you could buy the pack w/ the vita ver for around 70 bucks. But for the West since they didnt do that, personally dont think there are any benefits.

Oh also Japan had PS4 specific scenario DLC for whatever reason... Which came out a few months ago.

Truthfully if you are planning on getting a PS TV / Vita tv whatever its called now, just get the Vita ver and PS+ your save back and forth. between the vita and PSV TV

What about the Vita version? If I do take a chance on the game I'd probablu go with Vita. Just wondering if the screen is big enough for everything to be visible. Looks like a lotta info on screen

Parakeetman

What about the Vita version? If I do take a chance on the game I'd probablu go with Vita. Just wondering if the screen is big enough for everything to be visible. Looks like a lotta info on screen

The Vita ver is what I played on most of the time. If you are curious what the vita version looks like on the OT I have footage from both the PS4 and Vita ver (running on vita TV). Its of the JP version though. As dont have the US ver to record footage off of. One sec getting you links. Both of the vids below should be from the exact same section the opening tutorial so you folks dont have to worry about any spoilers.
*Had to fix the vids as links were messed up in the OP. :/

JP ver of game
PS Vita ver. running on Vita TV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1m1ou7QCa0

JP ver of game
PS4 ver.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4yUMLlgzc0

Truthfully the Vita version is perfectly fine and you will get used to how busy the UI looks once you start playing. Its the most daunting thing that folks notice when they look at screenshots or vids, but once you get hands on it will all make sense and not bother you as much.

This thread was originally for the JP version. But since we dont have any other OT for folks to visit, people are coming here and Im more than happy to help answer any questions. Am pretty sure Im one of the only members here at GAF that has gotten through 75% of the game before I had stopped since other things came up. If there were other folks they didnt post at all unfortunately. But not that many of us seemed to have picked up the JP version, so whoever you saw here that was it for the most part.

autoduelist

They should be for the most part.

Also be sure to grab EVERYTHING on story missions as you cant go back to them ever again. Thats where better weapons are too and it does make a diff personally. Am talking about chests that is.

I missed some stuff and it hurts later on. D:

Yeah, I missed one of those chests in one of the earliest story missions and have regretted it since. But now I make a point of grabbing everything. I really want to know what I missed, but not worth reloading an ancient save.

As for weak walls, I guess I'll revisit all the free dungeons I've unlocked and look at every wall closely.

Parakeetman

Yeah, I missed one of those chests in one of the earliest story missions and have regretted it since. But now I make a point of grabbing everything. I really want to know what I missed, but not worth reloading an ancient save.

As for weak walls, I guess I'll revisit all the free dungeons I've unlocked and look at every wall closely.

what stage was it i can look up the info. just put spoiler tags around it or describe the stage setup.

i know one of the things i missed was a rifle.

Yuterald

Got my stupid backpack limited edition the other day. Only have had the chance to play the tutorial and one of the optional (?) caverns. Got wrecked by some big dude behind a jail door though, ha! Battle system definitely seems interesting though. Yeah, the characters and story, from a first impression, seem totally whatever-town. Like, I don't give a shit about these people! I agree too, calling/naming the MC Jeff is lol-worthy. It's just not a cool RPG character name! I don't want to go on a journey with my co-worker Bill and Patrick from accounting, ha!

The only thing that bugs me, and it's a total nit-pick sort of thing, is the fact that even though you increase your damage by spacing out your characters during a linked/united attack, they all end up running close to each other after the commands are given and the attacks play out. Am I weird in over analyzing this or does anyone else feel like it's kind of stupid? It's more so from a visual standpoint, I guess. It's like what plays out during battle goes against the fundamental mechanics, or at least how they're explained. Maybe I should look at it like the characters are "charging" from a distance and when the turn plays out, they obviously need to run in closer to attack (aside from the ranged characters, obviously).

I'll play more this weekend...

Parakeetman

Got my stupid backpack limited edition the other day. Only have had the chance to play the tutorial and one of the optional (?) caverns. Got wrecked by some big dude behind a jail door though, ha! Battle system definitely seems interesting though. Yeah, the characters and story, from a first impression, seem totally whatever-town. Like, I don't give a shit about these people! I agree too, calling/naming the MC Jeff is lol-worthy. It's just not a cool RPG character name! I don't want to go on a journey with my co-worker Bill and Patrick from accounting, ha!

The only thing that bugs me, and it's a total nit-pick sort of thing, is the fact that even though you increase your damage by spacing out your characters during a linked/united attack, they all end up running close to each other after the commands are given and the attacks play out. Am I weird in over analyzing this or does anyone else feel like it's kind of stupid? It's more so from a visual standpoint, I guess. It's like what plays out during battle goes against the fundamental mechanics, or at least how they're explained. Maybe I should look at it like the characters are "charging" from a distance and when the turn plays out, they obviously need to run in closer to attack (aside from the ranged characters, obviously).

I'll play more this weekend...

Nope you are right, its pretty pointless that part of the system and really makes zero sense what so ever.

Not to mention at times they will go and place themselves in idiotic formations which cause them to get hit after you take over a square. Which is an even larger pissoff. Or when they move into position to melee attack it fucks with your cover fire done by allies...

There are lots of little design things with the game that will make you go hmmm. trust me on that. lol

Yuterald

Nope you are right, its pretty pointless that part of the system and really makes zero sense what so ever.

Not to mention at times they will go and place themselves in idiotic formations which cause them to get hit after you take over a square. Which is an even larger pissoff. Or when they move into position to melee attack it fucks with your cover fire done by allies...

There are lots of little design things with the game that will make you go hmmm. trust me on that. lol

Okay, lol! It was like instantly "wha..." when I saw this happen. That's a shame. Seems like they had some of the right ideas/intentions with this game, but totally forgot to look at the big picture. Oh well.

Top Bottom