• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NC gov staff plant questions supposedly from Charlotte Observer to avoid HB2 talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/taylor-batten/article102315532.html

With Hurricane HB2 blowing North Carolina’s doors off, Gov. Pat McCrory took questions in Charlotte last week – from himself.

McCrory’s staff planted questions at a lunch event in SouthPark on Thursday with the crowd under the impression that they were coming from the media or the audience. The moderator, a volunteer from the lunch audience, introduced three questions by saying they were from the Charlotte Observer.

He apologized to me afterward, saying it was his understanding all the questions on one of his sheets were from the Observer. In fact, they were from the governor’s own staff, an event organizer said.

Speakers at Hood Hargett Breakfast Club events routinely take questions from the floor. McCrory required that all questions be submitted in advance in writing.

When the moderator asked how to get started, McCrory said, “Anything you like. No filter here.” Sure, who needs a filter when you posed the questions yourself?

When I tried to ask McCrory a question, the filter went up. “We’ve got three Observer questions answered already. I think you guys dominate the news enough.”

Of course, those weren’t Observer questions. They were softballs from his staff about what he wanted to do with his next term; how he wanted to reduce the state’s rape kit backlog; and how the state crime lab performed under McCrory’s opponent, Roy Cooper.

When the event was over, McCrory did not meet with the throng of reporters who were there. He ducked out a side door and down a hall that led to a back exit. I followed him to try to ask him about HB2, but his staff blocked me.

Ricky Diaz, a campaign spokesman, on Friday acknowledged the campaign provided questions for the governor, but said “we were asked to in order to keep the conversation format going.”

Jenn Snyder, executive director of the Hood Hargett Breakfast Club, said that’s not true. She said she had expected the governor to take live questions from the audience but the campaign insisted on this other format and wanted to include questions of their own along with ones from the audience. All the questions were portrayed as coming from the audience and the Observer, and the crowd was never told that many of them actually came from McCrory’s campaign.

Blader

When the moderator asked how to get started, McCrory said, “Anything you like. No filter here.” Sure, who needs a filter when you posed the questions yourself?

lmao. What a sniveling wimp.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Disgusting coward. If you're a transphobic bigot, at the very least own up to it instead of being a slimy weasel about it. I hope this filth gets voted out first chance they get.

He is getting voted out, right? :/

commedieu

Banned
Disgusting coward. If you're a transphobic bigot, at the very least own up to it instead of being a slimy weasel about it. I hope this filth gets voted out first chance they get.

He is getting voted out, right? :/

This is the weirdest thing about bigotry in america. People literally act like bigots.. say things bigots say... do things bigots do. They get support of the kkk... Are pretty much bigots..

But they don't want to go stand behind their bigotry? As if they are fooling someone, or that it's worse to be seen as a bigot some how, instead of peole judging your words and actions as bigotry. It's so bizarre to watch this go down. As if something will explode of they just go that extra .01%.

It really is worse to be called what they are, than just being what they are to them.

Mathieran

Banned
NCgaf, we have to get this guy out of office

I can't wait to vote against him

Same. Got an early voting schedule. I don't know much about Cooper but the last time I've been this eager to vote for someone was Obama in '08. It's gonna fee good voting against him and trump.

Alucrid

Banned
For example, he told me, “I strongly disagree with anyone being fired or not hired based on sexual orientation.” But he said it’s Congress’s job, not North Carolina’s or Charlotte’s, to make that law.

He told me Congress should pass a civil rights law that extends protections to gays. Pressed on whether he was saying gays do deserve legal protection, McCrory took a half-step back: “I wish the federal government would have this discussion.”

lol what a fucking clown

Pat McCrory is the one of the worst people in politics at the moment not named Trump. I really would ask for everyone living in North Carolina to vote for Roy Cooper for Governor (and Hillary and Deborah Ross for Senate, of course).

Same. Got an early voting schedule. I don't know much about Cooper but the last time I've been this eager to vote for someone was Obama in '08. It's gonna fee good voting against him and trump.

Cooper is a bit of an old-school Dem, but seems like a genuinely good guy. Deborah Ross is your more progressive, former-chair-of-the-state-ACLU liberal firebrand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom