• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA 2005 sells BIG

DMczaf

http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/ncaa-football-2005/531722p1.html

Sales of game, released last week, were up more than 30 percent year-over-year on Sony Corp's PlayStation 2 console, more than 40 percent on Nintendo Co. Ltd.'s GameCube and more than 100 percent on Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox, the person said.

EA spokeswoman Trudy Muller declined to comment on the numbers.

Last year's "NCAA" game set sales records for the company and was the No. 2 football title of 2003, behind EA's other perennial blockbuster, the "Madden NFL" series. The "Madden" game was the best-selling console game of the year.

This year's "NCAA" game is also the first to support online play on the Xbox. EA and Microsoft had a contentious relationship when it came to online play until early this year, when the two sides came to terms and EA said much of its key sports lineup would in future support Xbox Live.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Cerebral Palsy said:
And I laugh at them all.

*knees Cerebral in the balls*

:(

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Rhindle said:
Online gaming is a fad. No one can make any money on it.

Sure they can. What if EA announced that Madden 2006 didn't have online play. I am sure EA would lose sales to Sega/VC. I for one refuse to buy any sports, racing, and FPS without online play and I know there is more just like me.

Anyone else who works in retail notice how many of these games are getting returned? Out of a shipment of 60, 10 were broken. So annoying.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Gunstar77 said:
Sure they can. What if EA announced that Madden 2006 didn't have online play. I am sure EA would lose sales to Sega/VC. I for one refuse to buy any sports, racing, and FPS without online play and I know there is more just like me.

me too

FoneBone

SUN TO RISE IN EAST TOMORROW

Gunstar77 said:
Um, he was pretty clearly being sarcastic.

Alcibiades

Gunstar77 said:

not me, and I know 3 other buddies that don't, so I just canceled you guys out...

efralope said:
not me, and I know 3 other buddies that don't, so I just canceled you guys out...

That doesn't cancel anything out. Fact is they would still lose money to us 3. And there are plenty more people out there who wouldn't buy Madden or ESPN without the online play intact.

Alcibiades

Cerebral Palsy said:
That doesn't cancel anything out. Fact is they would still lose money to us 3. And there are plenty more people out there whoe wouldn't buy Madden or ESPN without the online play intact.

I guess you are right since just about every sports title on PS2 or XBox has online, it doesn't really matter in terms of deciding one over the other...

efralope said:
I guess you are right since just about every sports title on PS2 or XBox has online, it doesn't really matter in terms of deciding one over the other...

Uh... WTF are you talking about. I think Madden is trash, but if that was the only available title with online play... I would buy it in an instant over ESPN (with no online play). Online play is that important to me. I wouldn't purchase any sport title that didn't have it.

Alcibiades

Cerebral Palsy said:
Uh... WTF are you talking about. I think Madden is trash, but if that was the only available title with online play... I would buy it in an instant over ESPN (with no online play). Online play is that important to me. I wouldn't purchase any sport title that didn't have it.

that's what I said, since most sports titles are online, that feature isn't what would be the deciding factor (well maybe specifics like tournaments, etc...), but I meant in general, most sports titles are online now...

efralope said:
that's what I said, since most sports titles are online, that feature isn't what would be the deciding factor (well maybe specifics like tournaments, etc...), but I meant in general, most sports titles are online now...

Ugh, read over our last few posts again. I KNOW just about every sports game now has online play. We were talking about if Madden or ESPN didn't in response to the comment that online play is a fad, and money can't be made off of it.

Rhindle

efralope said:
For the 100% more Xbox users who bought NCAA this year, it obviously was a deciding factor.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
i had to suffer through the chaos that was launch day for this stupid ass game

if i hear "yall got that football game in" one more time i swear. i will cry ;_;

sp0rsk said:
i had to suffer through the chaos that was launch day for this stupid ass game

if i hear "yall got that football game in" one more time i swear. i will cry ;_;

What's the number for your store? Area code also.

lordmrw

I get tired of hearing people ask for the new Madden in march every year when these are the same cunts that have been buying it in August every year for the past 5 or 6 years. ANd god, I hate how store shelves get clogged with last year's sports games whenever new ones are released.

Alcibiades

woops I should have used "but anyway" before saying they were all online. I said you were right that people would consider it probably, but that it wasn't really an issue over choosing since most were online anyway...

Alcibiades

Rhindle said:
For the 100% more Xbox users who bought NCAA this year, it obviously was a deciding factor.

what about the 40% improvement in GCN sales, I mean, XBox and GCN sales have improved over the last year compared to little improvement over PS2 (%-wise), so couldn't some of it be attributed to just that in general...

That said, between choosing a PS2 and XBox version (since both are online), I would imagine that other things would be a deciding factor more than one being online, since they both are...

Lee-T

Yeah, BobbyRobby it's amazing how many of these are getting returned. We sold around 20 the first day and had about 4 of those returned. Also, this is the first sports game I've seen for the GC where people actually have been coming in looking for it (we sold out first day for XB and GC).

Chi-Town

CrimsonSkies said:
"what about the 40% improvement in GCN sales"

Did the game sell more than a 100k on the Cube last year?

I hunted down the sales figures for last July.

1 Ps2 NCAA 495,093
3 Xbox NCAA 128,301

Gamecube version didn't make the top 20 so it's sales were somewhere under 48,000

Top Bottom