• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need a gluten-free meal on your flight? Air Transat says bring your own food

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless you pay more, of course:

A popular airline says it has stopped offering meal accommodations for the majority of travellers who require special diets for health or religious reasons.

Air Transat says passengers flying economy class on transatlantic flights are required to choose from a selection of hot sandwiches which cannot be adapted to address allergies or other restrictions.

The airline says its EuroBistro menu includes an option for vegetarians and says it can accommodate requests for kosher meals, but says it cannot provide choices suitable for conditions such as gluten-intolerance or meals that conform with other religious traditions.

Air Transat says those wishing to request a special meal may either upgrade to club class or bring their own food on board the flight.

According to Air Transat, the menu changes came in response to customer satisfaction surveys that found passengers were seeking more variety in the company's meal offerings.

This doesn't affect me personally since I've never flown with them but this just adds to the general bullshit that is taking a flight. From prices that swing sometimes hundreds of dollars from day to day because who knows why, to the fees airlines add on a whim, to the seats that keep getting smaller and smaller. I hate it.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Airline meals, even on long haul flights, seem like such a weird hold over from that glorious but now long past time where Airlines actually had a dream (or pretended to at least) of making flying enjoyable and comfortable for everyone.

It might be better for everyone if they just went away entirely.

People who require a gluten-free meal on a flight should have to provide proof of Celiac disease, or be kicked off the flight for being insufferable.

HeySeuss

Eh, they shouldn't adjust their menus for something that actually effects so few of the population. Most people only want gluten free because it's the latest fad, not because they have celiac disease.

There must be some serious penny pinching going around if they can't afford gluten free meals.

Never heard of an airline unable to do that.

Celiacs is so rare that I don't see why they need to cater to it.

General "gluten intolerance" is unevidenced (likely) bullshit. It needs no more catering to than requests for "no yellow foods!"

Protome

Eh, they shouldn't adjust their menus for something that actually effects so few of the population. Most people only want gluten free because it's the latest fad, not because they have celiac disease.

Pretty much. They don't provide meals specifically for people with relatively rare allergies, this seems completely reasonable.

I work in the food industry. Allergens and food intolerances. The market is huge which really doesnt affect that many people. To be legally allowed to sell gluten-free food, here in the uk, it must meet the specification of <20ppm.

If your manufacturing process produces gluten. It is incredibly costly and very difficult to produce gluten free. The best option is to open a new building dedicated to handling only gluten free.

For an airline, I hardly see them making such an investment. So what they said is correct. If you want gluten free, bring your own food.

edit: thats not even saying if airline sandwich sources are own from the airline or outsourced.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
My mom only eats gluten-free nowadays for not health related reasons but she doesn't expect to be catered to on airplanes or even in some restaurants. As long as she is allowed to eat her weird tasteless carton-like bread-thing she's fine.

Paz

Airline meals, even on long haul flights, seem like such a weird hold over from that glorious but now long past time where Airlines actually had a dream (or pretended to at least) of making flying enjoyable and comfortable for everyone.

I dunno, paying 1400 bucks for a set of 13 hour flights to/from the states leaves me in a position where I think it's reasonable they provide me with half decent hot/full meals, it's not like it's convenient or really possible for me to arrange my own high quality food with the restrictions involved.

I'm a Hare Krsna with a strict vegetarian style diet and tend to have to request a custom meal because airlines double down on fucking us by often not having many (as in literal number of) veg meals so they run out when picked by people including non vegetarians, and they also like to offer meals full of eggs for their vegetarian option (If they even offer a veg option).

I mean if they want to reduce the number of special meals it'd make way more sense for them to prepare a vegan option as one of the defaults cos it'd get rid of about 60% of the special request options that exist on most major airlines. I'd be sad because I like my dairy but there are no vegetarians who can't eat Vegan food for dietary/religious reasons, it'd also be a sub par but acceptable option for folks who have animal slaughtering requirements.

Edit - Sorry rant sort of unrelated to the topic, but I feel there's a lot of ways they can cut down on complexity to offer genuinely valuable stuff like food that won't cause you intense bodily harm if you're a celiac.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
My mom only eats gluten-free nowadays for not health related reasons but she doesn't expect to be catered to on airplanes or even in some restaurants. As long as she is allowed to eat her weird tasteless carton-like bread-thing she's fine.

See, this is fine, go on whatever weird-ass diet you want, but don't try dragging the rest of the world with you to cater to your every need and taste. It's like being mad they don't serve Mexican food at a Chinese restaurant. More people should have that mind-set.

darscot

Do people really expect Airlines to cater to whatever nonsense fad is currently the rage. Anyone with a serious allergy or illness sorts shit out for them self.

rawd

Just flew Air Transat 4 days ago and I brought my meal on board purchased from the food court area of the airport. I'm still alive.

Eidan

I'd think a person who has special dietary needs would have the foresight to bring their own meals for a flight. I mean, who gets on a plane and tells a stewardess, "I'm pescatarian"?

Remove the cost of the meal from the ticket and I'd be happy to bring my own food.

That works right up until someone "forgets" to bring their own food on a 13+ hour flight and doesn't have a credit card to pay in-flight and then accuses the big bad airlines of starving the poor customer.

Plenty of reasons to hate airlines, but not catering to people for their special snowflake diets is not one of them.

stuminus3

Jesus H Christ some of you people.

The gluten-free "fad" that is apparently such a huge inconvenience to you has dramatically improved the quality of life for actual celiacs because now they are able to go to the same restaurants and shop at the same supermarkets as the rest of us.

But no, you don't want that just in case you happen to end up in the presence of people you think are "insufferable".

Ironic.

Good grief.

For the record, celiac disease isn't nearly as rare as you think it is. Bully to you for being born perfect, I guess.

dpunk3

I took EuroAir about 3 weeks ago, elected to not take the hot meal because I wasn't hungry. Asked for one later, they didn't have any more so I asked for a sandwich, which they then charged me for. Fucking insane how these people can charge thousands of dollars and still claim they aren't making a profit, so they can keep taking on fees and random bullshit. I mean, $6.50 for a bottle of water? Fuck yoooou!

Syncytia

It's mostly just the US based airlines that have garbage food.

Ethiopian, Etihad and Singapore all have legit food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom