• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

Grifter

Onkel, how long do your automatics keep ticking after you've taken them off? My Fortis seems to go anywhere from 9-15 hours so I'm wondering if I can affect its lasting power and avoid resetting if I decide to use it the next day.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Grifter said:
Onkel, how long do your automatics keep ticking after you've taken them off? My Fortis seems to go anywhere from 9-15 hours so I'm wondering if I can affect its lasting power and avoid resetting if I decide to use it the next day.
that seems like too short. All autos I had had a power reserve of 40-48 hours, so wearing it every other day kept them running just fine. alternatively, you can just pick them up and swivel them like a glass of cognac for a few minutes per day or invest a bit of cash in a watch winder.

Edit: You have hand wound it up to full, right? just unscrew the crown and make 30-40 turns. watch should be fully wound then.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Grifter said:
so I just unscrew so it's in the unlocked position? don't need to pull it out or unscrew further, right?
exactly! just unscrew until the stem pops out a little bit.

slider

OnkelC said:
slider:
heh, that de grisogno is the value of a nice top-of-the.line Audi or BMW:lol
personally, I dislike that steampunk look a bit, but it's a really nice collectors piece.

No shit? That's... wow, that's an expensive watch!

I'm not sure how I feel about it now but to see it in movement was... How can I describe it? If you didn't fall in love with it you could at least appreciate why someone else would!

Right, I'm gonna rework my invoice to this guy. He's obviously very well off. :)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
your client seems to ba a true WIS (watch idiot savant) because the meccana was also strictly limited, no chance of walking into a store and picking it up. He went on a search for it or is a regular customer at de grisogno.

on the other end of the price range, i ordered one of these beauties on monday just for shits and giggles:
seagullsmlfz3.jpg

let's see how far 220USD will take you in chinese watches.

slider

Next time I have a meeting with him I'll bring it up again.

But, WIS... priceless!

Incidentally, as you seem knowledgeable (and keen!) on the topic, this takes me off on a tangent...

Do you think that particular watch isn't worth that much? Or that no watch is? I think I know the answer but I don't wanna put words in your mouth.

Cheers.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
slider said:
Do you think that particular watch isn't worth that much? Or that no watch is? I think I know the answer but I don't wanna put words in your mouth.

Cheers.

Tough one. since every watch above a certain money threshold is not bought only as a device to tell the time (every mobile phone or 99 cent watch does that), wristwatches can be seen as fashion iterms, jewelry, accessories and/or status symbols, in short as a luxury.

with luxury items, personal taste and the will to shell out a praticular amount of money for said item dictate the price, and nothing else.
IMHO, it boils down to the question "would it be worth the asking price for ME?", so i (and nobody else but the buyer) has the right to question the particular buying decision.

The meccanico wouldn't be my particular taste and not worth a six-figure USD price for me, but I accept that there is an audience for that interesting watch and i can relate to the person buying it because he/she finds it an interesting/fascinating timepiece.

slider

Hey, great answer. Now that I've read it I've realised I dunno what I was expecting you to say! It was either:

a) No way!
b) Yes way!

And, yeah, no one has the right to tell people what to spend their money on. I guess it'd come down to "would I spend that much money on that watch?".

For sheer coolness this meccana rocked my socks.

Prince

I bought this one a couple of weeks ago, really like it. Classy looking, not too big and not too expensive.

nzlyq8.jpg

5pr6km.jpg

Seiko Premier SNA585P1.

LazyLoki

Cereal KiIIer said:
Just bought this

034-1.jpg

We are now 2 to have one LazyLoki

awesome choice!

i opted for the black face because it seemed a little bit less flashy, but looking at yours it doesn't seem too bad :D

btw, it looks used, bought it second hand?

Yeah used. I paid 600$ shipped. My fiancee would have killed me if I had bought a watch for over a grand :lol Anything above 100$ is too much for her but wth ... It's my money :D

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
So, finally bought a new watch. Or rather, a friend of mine bought one for me in NY as it is much less expensive over there. Now all I have to do is wait a month for him to return to Sweden with it =(

But still :D :D :D

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Somebody has been showing style and spent big! congrats! Looking forward to seeing pics. same goes for rage1973s Panny.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
OnkelC said:
Somebody has been showing style and spent big! congrats! Looking forward to seeing pics. same goes for rage1973s Panny.

Thanks =) pics will be forthcoming, although as I said I won't be getting it for a month. Guess it's ok since I've been waiting to buy it for ~3 years. =)

edit: here's another blurry pic

12e9c2b5.jpg

lil smoke

Banned
Keen said:
So, finally bought a new watch. Or rather, a friend of mine bought one for me in NY as it is much less expensive over there. Now all I have to do is wait a month for him to return to Sweden with it =(

But still :D :D :D
Yeah Canal Street has some bargains. :lol

iamblades

Anyone know of any alternatives to the Omega Speedmaster Reduced(3539.50), preferably slightly cheaper?

I love the look of the watch, especially the all black face and tachymetre scale, but I don't know if I can swing a $2k+ watch right now. I'm scouring the net for a bargain though.

So beautiful.

So I looked a bit through this thread and noticed that these Stowa-watches are really nice. But they still are too expensive for me. So does anyone know similar brands that are cheaper (max. 250$)?

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
lil smoke said:
Yeah Canal Street has some bargains. :lol

At least for my friend if he bought it there. I just have an damn expensive replica :lol

That Seagull looks amazing onkel!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Cereal KiIIer, welcome to the wonderful world of "Flipping"!:lol :lol :lol :lol
nice choice for the new one, i have always preferred center seconds to chrono functions.

Flipping watches is a good way to own a wide variety without investing too much money. Taake the Dweller, for example.

I sold these:
smallP1030568.jpg

smallP1030220.jpg

smallP1030221.jpg

2smallP1020976.jpg

smallP1020151.jpg

smallP1020289.jpg

smallCIMG0037.jpg

smallP1010535.jpg

To fund this:
smallP1040078.jpg

which was only the last part in a long line of come and go's...

iamblades said:
Anyone know of any alternatives to the Omega Speedmaster Reduced(3539.50), preferably slightly cheaper?

I love the look of the watch, especially the all black face and tachymetre scale, but I don't know if I can swing a $2k+ watch right now. I'm scouring the net for a bargain though.

So beautiful.
cheapest alternative I can think of is an alpha,
http://www.alpha-watch.com/details.php?myid=239
but mind that you get what you pay for...

iamblades

OnkelC said:
cheapest alternative I can think of is an alpha,
http://www.alpha-watch.com/details.php?myid=239
but mind that you get what you pay for...

Yeah thats more than 'slightly cheaper'. :lol :lol

Been scouring the web for used speedmasters and have been finding a lot of really good condition 3510's for less than $1k which is right up my alley, but as I'm not going into space and I am rough on things sometimes, I really want the sapphire crystal of the 3539. Haven't been able to find any used 3539s though, they seem to be much rarer.

Also, how did you like your Orsa? I've been looking at those as a more affordable watch until I have the stable finances to justify going all the way on a new omega.

YagizY

I am very excited that I finally get to post in this thread. I finally got my first "fancy" watch in my life. Prior to this I was wearing more sporty watches like Nike's and such. Anyway, I got this for my birthday and it was kind of expensive (at least in my book, I'm only 21 years old) but I love it.

100_1661.jpg

Sorry for crappy pic, my digital camera is garbage.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
iamblades said:
Yeah thats more than 'slightly cheaper'. :lol :lol

Been scouring the web for used speedmasters and have been finding a lot of really good condition 3510's for less than $1k which is right up my alley, but as I'm not going into space and I am rough on things sometimes, I really want the sapphire crystal of the 3539. Haven't been able to find any used 3539s though, they seem to be much rarer.

Also, how did you like your Orsa? I've been looking at those as a more affordable watch until I have the stable finances to justify going all the way on a new omega.
especially if you are handling watches a little bit rougher, the Hesalite crystal of the speedy pro is the better alternative, because scratches can be polished out easily and it's not ptone to shattering upon heavy impacts.

here's another testimonial why the Speedy Pro (with Hesalite) is considered one of the toughest watches around:
ap163.jpg

The Orsa was a nice watch, but I couldn't bond with it. Unfortunately, it got lost at USPS while being shipped to the new owner.

YagizY, congratulations! Bulovas are a good choice for the aspiring WUS! have lots of joy with the watch!

iamblades

OnkelC said:
especially if you are handling watches a little bit rougher, the Hesalite crystal of the speedy pro is the better alternative, because scratches can be polished out easily and it's not ptone to shattering upon heavy impacts.

Well I don't think I would handle it rough enough to scratch or shatter the sapphire, but I take your point.

I might just end up getting a used speedy reduced with the hesalite and put the pro on my dream list.

YagizY

Hey Onkel what is the name of that Fortis watch you had but you sold, I really liked it so I did some further research but could not find it on their site. I want to keep it in mind because I really like it and maybe in a couple of years I might try to purchase one.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
YagizY said:
Hey Onkel what is the name of that Fortis watch you had but you sold, I really liked it so I did some further research but could not find it on their site. I want to keep it in mind because I really like it and maybe in a couple of years I might try to purchase one.
The Fortis is named "Pilot Professional" and can be found on the Fortis Homepage:
http://www.fortis-watch.com

YagizY

Oh i see now, you just put a steel band on it I presume, or is that how you purchased it. Because that watch pictured on the site had a leather band.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
YagizY said:
Oh i see now, you just put a steel band on it I presume, or is that how you purchased it. Because that watch pictured on the site had a leather band.
most of them can be had with leather band as well as a steel bracelet, just download the catalogue for the available options.

OnkelC said:
Cereal KiIIer, welcome to the wonderful world of "Flipping"!:lol :lol :lol :lol
nice choice for the new one, i have always preferred center seconds to chrono functions.

Flipping watches is a good way to own a wide variety without investing too much money. Taake the Dweller, for example.

So you sold everything ? :lol

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
OnkelC said:
Keen, congratulations! a really nice timepiece.

How does it feel on the wrist?

Thanks =)

It feels great. The weight will take some getting used to, but other than that I really like the rubber strap as opposed to a steel link.

Top Bottom