• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Castlevanias - how long are they?

Mau_Mau

Banned
Just found my old NES Castlevanias 1-3 and was wondering how long these games take to finish? Yes, this is a stupidly shallow question, but I only get a few hours a week for gaming and would like to avoid making this an 8 week effort. I was mostly looking for an answer for Castlevania 2, but am interested in hearing opinions if 1 or 3 are better. Thanks.

explodet

Castlevania 1 isn't too difficult thanks to unlimited continues - there are unlimited continues, right? It's just arcade game length - a few hours.

Castlevania 2 is rather obtuse thanks to a lousy translation - some hints will go right over your head. Get a FAQ and you should complete it quickly.

Castlevania 3's length is in its replayability - the different paths and characters you can choose. But if you want to just kill Dracula, it shouldn't take more than a few playtimes, thanks to passwords and such.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
They can all be finished in one sitting. It should only take a couple of hours for each one. CV2 is the longest one. CV3's length can vary dramatically depending on what paths you take. My personal favorite for the entire series is 3.

For CV3 I recommend taking the path that allows you to get Sypha Belnades on your side. It will make things easier. The lightning spell does huge damage to bosses and the other spells aren't that bad either (the fire one does 3 bars of damage).

Greekboy

Banned
I found CV1 to be toughest due to the boss on the fifth stage that kept giving me fits. CV2 was the easiest but the best was CV3 for sure. CV2 and CV3 should take the longest to complete.

SantaC

Lisa Lashes said:
I found CV1 to be toughest due to the boss on the fifth stage that kept giving me fits. CV2 was the easiest but the best was CV3 for sure. CV2 and CV3 should take the longest to complete.

you mean the death? Yeah it took quite a while before I completed that level.

Greekboy

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
you mean the death? Yeah it took quite a while before I completed that level.

Yes. I left out the name so as to not spoil it for him but boy do I remember him giving me fits all those years ago.

john tv

CV1 rocked ass, and yes, Death was a bitch. Hardest boss in the game, IMO. Can't wait to replay that on GBA when it comes out next Tuesday...

CV2 and 3 each rocked, too. CV3 took me the longest of the three of them to finish, but mainly because it's just plain hard. It's not like it's super huge or anything.

Trasher

explodet said:
Castlevania 1 isn't too difficult thanks to unlimited continues - there are unlimited continues, right? It's just arcade game length - a few hours.

Castlevania 2 is rather obtuse thanks to a lousy translation - some hints will go right over your head. Get a FAQ and you should complete it quickly.

Castlevania 3's length is in its replayability - the different paths and characters you can choose. But if you want to just kill Dracula, it shouldn't take more than a few playtimes, thanks to passwords and such.

Maybe he doesn't want to cheat.....

explodet said:
Castlevania 1 isn't too difficult thanks to unlimited continues - there are unlimited continues, right?

I think....but if I remember correctly, the continues wouldn't put you at the beginning of the section you were on, it was several sections before, which kind of sucked.

Troidal

Although the first one comes in a close second, Castlevania III is one of the most memorable games ever in my entire gaming life. No other Castlevania has topped this one off IMO. The new SOTN format that most come to know and love are just watered down easy. Granted, they look pretty and all, but...

I dont think this game can translate into 3D well. The 64 versions were more like Zelda with whips, the PS2 version was not that spectacular.

In the end, I would rather want them to make a high-res 2D Castlevania in the same animation level as Guilty Gear/Street Fighter III. But that's just the old school gamer in me that wants it...probably not what kids want these days :-/

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
CV1 made my NES SING. God, I can remember each of the stages theme songs like I just played the game yesterday. Damn it, I don't want to spend $20 when this comes out :(

bjork

The
tornado thing
in CV2 had me stumped for weeks... and this was back when I had limited access to a NES and no trusty Nintendo Power to help...

way more

Lisa Lashes said:
Yes. I left out the name so as to not spoil it for him but boy do I remember him giving me fits all those years ago.

My name is mac, and I've never beaten the grim reaper.

Mau_Mau

Banned
bjork said:
The
tornado thing
in CV2 had me stumped for weeks... and this was back when I had limited access to a NES and no trusty Nintendo Power to help...
Yeah, I think I'm close to done now with CV2 and there are some tasks/items in the game that just aren't made apparent to players. The villagers also seemingly speak in some form of vague code (obviously due to memory restrictions, but still...) which can be baffling at times. Oh well, this game is definately on the easier side, but its still great fun. Its not exactly holding up as well as I remembered - though I probably last played it in 1989. Catchy tunes too.

bjork

I still love it... I'd like to see it reissued, maybe as a famicom mini or something.

WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE still makes me go "ah shit" and get hurt by jumping werewolves.

There was a speedrun video for Castlevania 1 where the player finished the game in 11 minutes (if I rememer correctly) thanks to a few shortcuts and abuse of the holy water.

Teddman

explodet said:
Castlevania 1 isn't too difficult thanks to unlimited continues - there are unlimited continues, right?
They don't really help. You continue from the outset of each level.

Greekboy

Banned
ThirstyFly said:
There was a speedrun video for Castlevania 1 where the player finished the game in 11 minutes (if I rememer correctly) thanks to a few shortcuts and abuse of the holy water.

I still can't see how you could plough through 6 stages in 11 minutes. No way.

Top Bottom