• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

If your table isn't used for anything other than gaming, you could use spray adhesive to put batting directly onto the table, and then spray and put your fabric overtop. Might need to think of a good way to attach it to the bottom, but then again it doesn't need to look pretty underneath. You'd still have that line in the middle where it folds, and that may be the trickiest part with this idea to ensure you can unfold and still set it up.

If you do use the table for eating, you could use your clips and throw a cheap vinyl/plastic tablecloth overtop to keep any spills from going through.

Or get a sheet of plastic, put the batting on there, then your fabric on top, and make it into your own padded play mat. That way the table isn't ruined.

Edit:Here's a poker mat that's $70 CAD and with free shipping. You'd have to cut it down to fit your table.

Ideally I would love to only spend about 50 bucks, but I'm sure that's not realistic.

I saw a video tutorial for what you did. I like the idea, but I live in a relatively small apartment so I need a solution I could store easily - ideally!

I was at local store playing game today and was thinking about your post, so I check out their mat section (they have huge Magic tournament there) and they have large size (folding table size) for about $80-90 they don't cover the entire thing like you did to your table top but most of it. I was really surprise they were that they didn't cost more than that. Not sure what you have at your local store up in the north. (I am in Portland, Oregon area).

They were something like this -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Giant-6-Ft-...758884?hash=item4d3db51324:g:I8UAAOSwHQ9WZFn~

I played another game of Power Grid at local Meet-up Did much better than the first time I play but man, you head hurt after playing that game. The winner and I were separated by just 2 points. We also played Vikings. I never heard of it before. We played it wrong the first time then restart it. It was interesting, tile laying, drafting and building game. I won but probably by luck more than skill.

I taught my group Age of War yesterday and was really pleased with how well it went. Teaching myself the game at home, left hand against right hand so I knew it well really paid off. They seemed to like it even though I hammered them [when trying not to :/] so hopefully some of them will wish to play it again as I really like it. If not I'll just bring it home and play it myself :). Buoyed by my success I tried to teach myself Welcome to the Dungeon last night but gave up when I realised that the pre dungeon card selection really needed to be hidden from the other hand player. Oh well, at least I managed to clarify what the Polymorph does. I'm really looking forward to our Wednesday play as I think this game will really go down well with them. The elements of bluff, counter bluff and trying to dump your friend in deep do-do should be right up their street! :D

Shengar

I've been wondering whether Waterdeep cards sleeved or not. Really like how the cards feel but I feel they started wearing out after dozens of play (with a lot of angry moment). How about you guys who own Waterdeep?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I've been wondering whether Waterdeep cards sleeved or not. Really like how the cards feel but I feel they started wearing out after dozens of play (with a lot of angry moment). How about you guys who own Waterdeep?

If you're asking whether or not to sleeve your cards, I think you've answered your own question. :) If you are getting a lot of plays and are starting to see wear, you might as well put down a small investment to protect the cards from further destruction!

Shengar

If you're asking whether or not to sleeve your cards, I think you've answered your own question. :) If you are getting a lot of plays and are starting to see wear, you might as well put down a small investment to protect the cards from further destruction!

The card feels nice though :(
Thought the card would be fine without sleeve since it feels more resilient than a standard card but it ends up getting played more than I expected and it started wearing out.

Karkador

Banned
Have fun*!

* if that's the right word for that game.

Our first couple of games went pretty well, though USSR more or less steamrolled the US both times (I was the US, lol).

After two plays, I can tell that this is one of those games that's easy to learn, but difficult to master- and that's probably one reason why it's been such a popular game.

fenners

Our first couple of games went pretty well, though USSR more or less steamrolled the US both times (I was the US, lol).

After two plays, I can tell that this is one of those games that's easy to learn, but difficult to master- and that's probably one reason why it's been such a popular game.

Yeah, Twilight Struggle was #1 on BGG for a reason :) Love that game. It really shines if both players are at the same point in the learning curve too, learning the intricacies together instead of one player dominating.

There's some right downright sneaky ways to leverage defcon & force the other player to work against themselves that aren't obvious, for example... And only one player knowing the cards is bad too.

I'm really due a game of this.

Karkador

Banned
FWIW, having now played both Twilight Struggle and Pandemic Legacy, I think they're both great games that can hardly be compared to each other, and hardly belong in the same ranking.

Eidjinn

This topic is awesome!

I'm new to the hobby, so I guess there are no place better than here to ask a few questions:

1) I really liked Catan, specially the interaction between players. Are there any games that would be considered a step up?

2) I liked the idea behind Game of Thrones, although a lot of people critized it for having some mechanics that truly don't add much to the game. The idea of betrayal in a war game is awesome. Any board games with same or even better mechanics?

3) Also, I'm pretty amazed by how many board games were printed in my country, so do you guys have ipinions regarding Puerto Rico, Agricola, Caverna and Terra Mystica? is is worth to buy these games?

Thanks a bunch!

Karkador

Banned
This topic is awesome!

I'm new to the hobby, so I guess there are no place better than here to ask a few questions:

1) I really liked Catan, specially the interaction between players. Are there any games that would be considered a step up?

You mean, like, trading with other players and making deals and stuff? You might want to look at Chinatown, and my personal fav Quo Vadis

2) I liked the idea behind Game of Thrones, although a lot of people critized it for having some mechanics that truly don't add much to the game. The idea of betrayal in a war game is awesome. Any board games with same or even better mechanics?

It's not a war game, but the Battlestar Galactica game is probably the most popular example of "a board game with a bunch of stuff happening, and oh, someone is probably secretly betraying you all".

On the other hand, there's Cosmic Encounter, which is a beloved and rather oldschool game, simple yet full of possibilities, where you fight each other and make alliances, and use your unique special power to try to come out on top.

Similarly to Cosmic Encounter, there's Rex (formerly known as Dune), which is by the same designers. That one has more of a "wargame" feel to it, but still with unique player powers and tenuous alliances.

3) Also, I'm pretty amazed by how many board games were printed in my country, so do you guys have ipinions regarding Puerto Rico, Agricola, Caverna and Terra Mystica? is is worth to buy these games?

If you want a game that's a little less about player interaction (or at least, less fucking each other over at every turn) and more about pushing forward a strategy and solving a complex problem, those are the contemporary classics at the moment (but there are many more games worth checking out). Of that group, I like Puerto Rico the most (though I haven't played Terra Mystica yet).

Just finished August in Pandemic Legacy, the
search mechanic was sort of interesting, it was really easy to game though. We just waited until we drew a card that fit the search criteria, put an equipment sticker on it, then the soldier just used the card to search and retrieved it until the search was over. I guess not being able to cure is a pretty big disadvantage for the character but we've also been using the Dispatcher which makes trading pretty easy.

One thing I don't like about the searches is that they can totally break the illusion of a story depending on how your board is set up. CODa is blue in our game and Atlanta was the only Faded city with a research center. We started with Los Angeles (which is Faded) in the Soldier's hand so we built a research center there and that's were we found the scientist. Kind of anticlimactic when we used the above method to find the scientist in a research center we just built. Oh well.

I do really like the story that's emerging from the scientists we've found, looks like the CODa is some sort of inside job. Curious to see how much a plot there ends up being.

Dryk

Just finished August in Pandemic Legacy, the
search mechanic was sort of interesting, it was really easy to game though. We just waited until we drew a card that fit the search criteria, put an equipment sticker on it, then the soldier just used the card to search and retrieved it until the search was over. I guess not being able to cure is a pretty big disadvantage for the character but we've also been using the Dispatcher which makes trading pretty easy.
We always knew that was a possibility but only used it once, at which point it was a huge help. It's absolutely intentional.

You mean, like, trading with other players and making deals and stuff? You might want to look at Chinatown, and my personal fav Quo Vadis
It's also a bit a swerve because it's entirely trading but look into Bohnanza, I lured my family away from Catan with it and I enjoy it a lot more.

Something I've learnt over the last year is that nobody's really managed to replace Risk in the way I want. Game of Thrones is definitely the best I've played (especially the combat system) but there's still work to be done in that space. I need to try Rex at some point because it looks like it captures some of the same things Game of Thrones does, but at the same time you're less mobile and it seems like your positions are a lot more fluid. The game I always have an eye out for captures the same feeling of accruing and losing territory that Risk does.

Karkador

Banned
It's also a bit a swerve because it's entirely trading but look into Bohnanza, I lured my family away from Catan with it and I enjoy it a lot more.

I'd recommend it, but it's way too long of a game for what it offers. Going through that big deck multiple times is excruciating. If there's a shorter variant for it, then sure.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Dang this thread is rocking!

I think I need to start planning my board-game travel for the year. Realistically, I probably only have time for one convention. Did FFG Worlds this year, BGG.Con the five years prior. Thinking of going back to BGG.Con even though I enjoyed my FFG experience. What are you guys doing? Any going to BGG (or FFG, even)?

Palmer_v1

I think I need to start planning my board-game travel for the year. Realistically, I probably only have time for one convention. Did FFG Worlds this year, BGG.Con the five years prior. Thinking of going back to BGG.Con even though I enjoyed my FFG experience. What are you guys doing? Any going to BGG (or FFG, even)?

I'm considering Geekway. Gencon was way too much hassle with the hotels.

fenners

A few friends scattered around the East Coast had talked about Gencon, but it isn't happening this year. Likely BGG.Con in November, after skipping last year - they 'solved' the overcrowding through smaller conference rooms scattered around the hotel tower which gives more room but destroys the 'immersiveness' of being in the big room & meeting new folk... Most of my gaming group seems to be planning to switch to the April/May BGG.Con in 2017 so I'll likely follow.

Iced

What's your budget?

Ideally, I think a neoprene sheet from a scuba diving or fabric shop would be best.

Not sure if a 0.5" thick high density foam sheet would work, but then you'd probably want to use an adhesive spray to attach your green fabric so it looks a bit better.

I spent about $100 CAD to buy three 2' x 4' pieces of MDF board, added cotton batting, and wrapped it with felt and secured it with a staple gun. Used spray adhesive to help keep everything in place. The felt was the most expensive part.

Edit: don't forget to iron out fabric before gluing it to something. ;)

I found this tonight (which is just a bit smaller and cheaper than the one you linked me to): http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B003SPPWJS/

Can you explain what the difference is between this and buying a fabric neoprene sheet? This would need to be cut down somewhat, but it seems like it would suit my needs.

I've played a couple of games of 7 wonders duel.

It is a very well put together game but I'm wondering where exactly it fits in. With my partner it is perhaps a little over complicated for her and was really hard to explain. She got it soon enough but something like splendour seems a more natural fit for the same urge.

With somebody else like myself to play with? I think I'd rather just play a 4x videogame.

So I really enjoy it, but I wonder how often it will get played.

Blizzard

Banned
I've played a couple of games of 7 wonders duel.

It is a very well put together game but I'm wondering where exactly it fits in. With my partner it is perhaps a little over complicated for her and was really hard to explain. She got it soon enough but something like splendour seems a more natural fit for the same urge.

With somebody else like myself to play with? I think I'd rather just play a 4x videogame.

So I really enjoy it, but I wonder how often it will get played.
For us I guess it's like Splendor, but when we want something more complicated. I like Race for the Galaxy, but that's a bit excessively long and complicated for some people. So maybe somewhere in the middle.

Taborcarn

What are people's thoughts on Elysium? I'm putting an online order together of a few games and was considering adding this to the cart as well. I like euro's/worker placement games that are also hybrids with some randomization or combat mechanics thrown in, and this seems like it has a bunch of different types of mechanics going on.

I found this tonight (which is just a bit smaller and cheaper than the one you linked me to): http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B003SPPWJS/

Can you explain what the difference is between this and buying a fabric neoprene sheet? This would need to be cut down somewhat, but it seems like it would suit my needs.
Can't say for sure what the difference might be, if any, but it seems to be very similar to neoprene -- perhaps just not water resistant. Since it's made for card playing, I imagine it'd suit your needs. If you do buy it, let us know how it turns out.

Iced

I just noticed Meeplemart has this in stock for $79.99:

H7SC6i6.jpg

It's 72x30, so the perfect size for my table. A question, though: does anyone here use a playmat with a design like this, rather than a solid colour? If so, do you ever find it distracting while playing?

Iced

Stick to single color playmats, wild designs is a visual mess and some games can be lost on such mats

That's what I was thinking. I think I'm just gonna go for the 36x36 black mats and deal with the overhang. I'd rather not cut them down in case I ever use them on a table that isn't 72x30.

Any good recommendations for a 2P campaign boardgame? My group and I are about to start in on Pandemic Legacy after finishing Risk Legacy, but I was also looking for something my SO and I can play together.

I did have Pathfinder ACG, which was ok when I played it as a solo game. But it ultimately I lost interest since it was just felt like flipping cards.

joelseph

Any good recommendations for a 2P campaign boardgame? My group and I are about to start in on Pandemic Legacy after finishing Risk Legacy, but I was also looking for something my SO and I can play together.

I did have Pathfinder ACG, which was ok when I played it as a solo game. But it ultimately I lost interest since it was just felt like flipping cards.

LoTR card game
Shadowrun Crossfire
Mage Knight

Faiz

This weekend my wife and I were finally able to sit down and give Viticulture a try. Huge hit for us. Gonna play 2-3 more standard 2nd edition games and then start adding in expansions from Tuscany.

Eidjinn

It's not a war game, but the Battlestar Galactica game is probably the most popular example of "a board game with a bunch of stuff happening, and oh, someone is probably secretly betraying you all".

On the other hand, there's Cosmic Encounter, which is a beloved and rather oldschool game, simple yet full of possibilities, where you fight each other and make alliances, and use your unique special power to try to come out on top.

Similarly to Cosmic Encounter, there's Rex (formerly known as Dune), which is by the same designers. That one has more of a "wargame" feel to it, but still with unique player powers and tenuous alliances.

If you want a game that's a little less about player interaction (or at least, less fucking each other over at every turn) and more about pushing forward a strategy and solving a complex problem, those are the contemporary classics at the moment (but there are many more games worth checking out). Of that group, I like Puerto Rico the most (though I haven't played Terra Mystica yet).

We always knew that was a possibility but only used it once, at which point it was a huge help. It's absolutely intentional.

Something I've learnt over the last year is that nobody's really managed to replace Risk in the way I want. Game of Thrones is definitely the best I've played (especially the combat system) but there's still work to be done in that space. I need to try Rex at some point because it looks like it captures some of the same things Game of Thrones does, but at the same time you're less mobile and it seems like your positions are a lot more fluid. The game I always have an eye out for captures the same feeling of accruing and losing territory that Risk does.

Thanks for the infos!

I really got interested in REX!

joelseph

It's 72x30, so the perfect size for my table. A question, though: does anyone here use a playmat with a design like this, rather than a solid colour? If so, do you ever find it distracting while playing?

Distributors gift stores table size mats occasionally. Ask any FLGS that carries Mtg if they have any extras. You can usually get them for cheap!

Neverfade

What are people's thoughts on Elysium? I'm putting an online order together of a few games and was considering adding this to the cart as well. I like euro's/worker placement games that are also hybrids with some randomization or combat mechanics thrown in, and this seems like it has a bunch of different types of mechanics going on.

Elysium is in my collection, and its not bad, but the best greek-based card game to come out last year-ish was Deus!

3947625417_e02b761700_o.jpg

This weekend my wife and I were finally able to sit down and give Viticulture a try. Huge hit for us. Gonna play 2-3 more standard 2nd edition games and then start adding in expansions from Tuscany.

Where did you get it? It looks great from what I've seen but I can't find it in stock anywhere.

Dryk

Where did you get it? It looks great from what I've seen but I can't find it in stock anywhere.
Viticulture 2nd Edition is currently being phased out for Viticulture Essential Edition, that might be why. EE has a couple of the module from Tuscany integrated so you might be better off waiting for that. I know it's hit Amazon and I think the Kickstarter copies are in the wild, don't know if it's gone any further down the chain yet.

EDIT: If you're in the US CSI has some

Blizzard

Banned
We played Jaipur for the second time. I think I've won both games, 2-1 each time. However, this time I should have lost. My friend just got greedy and gave me an extra selling round trying for more points.

One little thing that annoys me is that I always forget when 3 chip piles are about to run out. I feel like there need to be markers, like the facedown cards in Dominion. Otherwise I mentally think "Oh, there were five chip piles to start" and then suddenly the round ends. Maybe I can come up with some placeholder.

Also, I'm not sure where the game fits. I feel like 7 Wonders Duel is more interesting despite the setup time, and Splendor is simpler with less hassle about sorting and counting chips.

Nezumi

I'd say it is a mix of deckbuilding and rummycup. Basically every round there is a pool of cards that every player tries to get their hands on, whether or not you can take a card is determined by one or two of the four colored pillars you still have in your pool. Every turn you have to discard one of these pillars, limiting the options of available cards. Every card gives the owner a different effect, some are one time only, others permanent, some mess with other players some even give positive effects to your opponent.

Once all players have turned in their last pillar, a round ends and depending on a number of conditions players can now move their cards to Elysium. This is were the rummycup aspect comes into play as every player tries to get either groups with cards of the same color or with the same number but different colors. Once in Elysium most cards lose all the effects they had before, so the decision when to move up cards is rather crucial.

A game is played with five of the eight (I think) decks. Every combination if those decks changes minor aspects of the gameplay so it has a huge replay value. On the downside, while the rules aren't in themselves overly complicated, all the different effects on the cards and their symbols might be a little intimidating for more casual players as it often leads to phases were everyone just stares at the cardpool in silence trying to make sense of everything and come up with a strategy.

Personally, I like it a lot, but let it be noted that most player interaction is limited to simply grabbing the best cards before everyone else does (there are some exceptions). The material is really nice with detailed pictures on the individual cards. It also comes with a box that fits everything beautifully well.

Taborcarn

Thanks for the Elysium impressions Neverfade and Nezumi. I think I had parts of it (combat) mixed up with Cyclades. I'm going to go ahead and get it though, it still seems like I'd like it and the art looks great.

Top Bottom