• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Capcom Fighting Jam characters revealed

DarkCloud

Street Fighter 2 - Zangief
Street Fighter Alpha - Karin Kanzuki
Street Fighter 3 - Urien
Warzard - Nool
Darkstalkers - Anakarsis

Also Akuma is confirmed to be in the game but not sure if he's a midboss, finalboss, or what. He's on the Street Fighter 2 side however.

jam.jpg

Total Roster now:

Street Fighter 2 Bison, Ryu, Guile, Zangief
Street Fighter Alpha - Rose, Sakura Kasugano, Guy, Karin Kanzuki
Street Fighter 3 - Chun Li, Yun, Alex, Urien
Warzard - Leo, Hauzer, Makuro, Nool
Darkstalker - Demitri, Felicia, Jedah, Anakarsis
Capcom Allstars - Ingrid

And apparantely there's room for 1-2 characters per game still...plus the hidden characters.

Iggy from Madman's Cafe talks about his time on the CFJ beta arcade unit

ourumov

If they just forgot about the CVS sprites...Oh man, I just hate them. I would rather see rehashed alpha/sf2 ones that the CVS ones.
Why don't they use the SF3 sprites for the shotos ???

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Too many Street Fighters, if they truly utilized all their franchises I'd probably want it. As it is though, it just seems like another vs game, Street Fighter vs Capcom as some have said.

XS+

Banned
They're using SF3 sprites for Alex and Urine, they should do the same with Yun and Chun Li (instead of the crap CvS2 sprites)

jarrod

Banned
What about Cyberbots, Tech Romancer, Rival Schools or Star Gladiator? Where's Devilot, Hayato, Jin Saotome and Kyosuke (they already have sprite renditions). More general Capcom characters (MegaMan.EXE, Zero, Chris Redfield, Strider, Samanosuke, Viewtiful Joe, Dante, etc) would've been nice too.... do I have to wait for CFJ2? :/

XS+

Banned
Has Capcom ever gotten it right the first time when making a new fighting series?

SSF2 sucked
Darkstalkers sucked
X-Men COTA sucked
SFA1 sucked
SF3 NG sucked
CvS1 sucked

I'd hold out on this one and wait for CFJ2.

Sai

Most everybody thought those games were the ultimate hotness when they first came out, XS+. :)

XS+

Banned
Sai said:
Most everybody thought those games were the ultimate hotness when they first came out, XS+. :)
Maybe. Actually I think most people were very excited about those games coming out ("anime Street Fighter!" "the real sequel to SF2!" "Amazing Capcom and SNK dream match!!"), instead of liking what they ended up playing.

But most people are doubting CFJ already and that's not good.

Sai

XS+ said:
Maybe. Actually I think most people were very excited about those games coming out ("anime Street Fighter!" "the real sequel to SF2!" "Amazing Capcom and SNK dream match!!"), instead of liking what they ended up playing.
And even when these games finally hit the arcades, it's going to take a while for the game's flaws to really sink in for 'em, so you're probably right.

But most people are doubting CFJ already and that's not good.
True. Maybe that's a good thing though! If CFJ doesn't do too hot, maybe Capcom will start taking a hint or two. ;)

XS+ said:
It's true. With the exception of MAYBE SFA1, which was pretty good if a little lacking in the character department, all those games were in dire need of a sequel. Of course, they all got them, and the game was much better for the extra year (or few months) of tweaking and extra characters...

jarrod

Banned
DarkStalkers and X-Men were pretty well recieved I thought also. CVS and SF3 were the only real launch turds I remember.

Chun-Li has her SF3 sprite unless my eyes are deceiving me, but SF3 characters have lost frames apparently. Which sucks.

Anyway, the game looks interesting. They also managed to pinpoint many of my semi-favs (missing Ken, Vega, Hugo and Makoto though) that I'd like to learn playing, like Felicia, Karin, Jedah and Guy. Guess I'll have the opportunity now.

XS+

Banned
SSF2 also bombed if I recall correctly. For me, SSF2 and SFA1 turned me off to Capcom for a long time, and lured me over to the Neo Geo machines and KoF/SS.

And CvS1 actually would have been a great 'SF vs KoF' game in all departments, but weren't for the nonsensical ratio system killed the balance, and fighting comp fans' interest.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Darkstalkers and X-Men were good games for the time when they launched, despite their flaws. I really enjoyed DS; Vampire Hunter/Nightwarriors was definitely a nice improvement, but DS was still a lot of fun. X-Men, on the other hand, always felt like something was missing from the game play, and Marvel Super Heroes fixed all that, but it was far from being something that "sucked."

I don't know if I'd call SSF2 a "new" series; it was another SF2 upgrade, but perhaps the biggest one, in the sense that they changed hardware and added the four new characters. It wasn't as fast as SF2 Turbo though, which I remember many people complaining about, and at the time, MK2 was huge in the U.S. How did Super fare in Japan? Were Samurai Shodown and Fatal Fury Special killing it?

Don't know how it was everywhere, but Alpha 1 was pretty well received in my area. All the arcades had it; plenty of people were feeding the machines quarters, and the only real complaint was that people wished it had more characters. I don't really remember there being too much bitching about the game on usenet's alt.games.sf2 either, but it has been 9 years now. o_O I do remember people that hated it either didn't like their favorite SF2 character (especially Zangief) gone, or just hated the chain combo system....yet all these people hurried to get the game when it came out on the PSX/Saturn.

And CvS1 was definitely brought down by the ratio system. At least the home version let you pick any character/ratio you wanted in versus mode, and had the mode where everyone was ratio 2, but still, it just didn't work. CvS1 was a definite let down for me, especially after I read a brief interview excerpt from one of the people at Capcom saying that CvS2 development had already begun, and that the sequel would basically offer everything that people wanted in the original.....and this was all before CvS1 even officially hit arcades. :\ The beta was cool at E3 that year though, and the arcade machine in my area did get some play time...for about a week. :p SvC Chaos has done much better than this game did, despite all the hate it got.

Finally, I loved SF3...LOVED it, but it needed a lot of work. What was up with removing the air hurricane kicks for Ken and Ryu? The cast of only 10 characters was too small for the time, etc. But I loved the look and sound of the game, and kept going to arcades to play it. Second Impact was a big improvement, and 3rd Strike only made it better, but there are some things about 2i I like more than 3s, and I still prefer the backgrounds and music of New Generation over its updates...I'm really hoping that 3s on PS2/Xbox has an option for the old backgrounds, or at least the old soundtracks, a la Vampire Chronicles, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I hope they add more guys from other series besides SF. They need to bring in Megaman, Jin, Captain Commando, Bionic Commando, Arthur or Maximo, Dante, Vanessa, V. Joe, Chris Redfield, Jill Valentine, Tyrant, etc.

XS+

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
I guess the better way to put what I'm trying to say is, not many people will consider the first of any Capcom fighting series the best one. There's always something lacking or getting in the way. It's a lot different than improving over time or correcting little bugs/glitches, they just flat-out have a history of screwing up and not giving the people what they want. Then they correct their wrongs in the 2nd or 3rd installment (Hyper Fighting, Third Strike, A3, MvC2, IIX etc.)

JC10001 said:
I hope they add more guys from other series besides SF. They need to bring in Megaman, Jin, Captain Commando, Bionic Commando, Arthur or Maximo, Dante, Vanessa, V. Joe, Chris Redfield, Jill Valentine, Tyrant, etc.
Buy the sequel! Coming soon!

Tellaerin

XS+ said:
I guess the better way to put what I'm trying to say is, not many people will consider the first of any Capcom fighting series the best one.

Rival Schools being the notable exception. :) Project Justice (the sequel) actually felt like a step down in a lot of ways, despite the move to better hardware.

ourumov

I'm really hoping that 3s on PS2/Xbox has an option for the old backgrounds, or at least the old soundtracks, a la Vampire Chronicles, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
That would be COOL.

There is nothing greater than fighting in SF III Elena's Stage where Sagat and Adon are fighting in a far plane while your fight takes place. Or the Ryu's Stage on 2i where a lot of SF2 chars such as Honda or Chun Li are taking a bath...Not to talk about Yang's stage inside of a restaurant with interactive elements a la SF 2.

Street Fighter 2 - Zangief
Street Fighter Alpha - Karin Kanzuki
Street Fighter 3 - Urien
Warzard - Nool
Darkstalkers - Anakarsis

Also Akuma is confirmed to be in the game but not sure if he's a midboss, finalboss, or what. He's on the Street Fighter 2 side however.

Thanks god you didn't say Poison. ^_^

DarkCloud

The Take Out Bandit said:
Thanks god you didn't say Poison. ^_^

If they start fleshing out Ingrid into a teambase of her own wouldn't surprise me to see Poison show up...they already designed her/his moves and have the voicework done for the character.

Haggar's likely out with the addition of Zangief though...same with Strider thanks to Mukuro. Batsu and Akira may make the cut though as secret characters.

XS+

Banned
Tellaerin said:
Rival Schools being the notable exception. :) Project Justice (the sequel) actually felt like a step down in a lot of ways, despite the move to better hardware.
Agreed. Sakura was totally MIA in Project Justice..

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I guess a lot of us agree. I mean having mostly SF characters is understandable if you're mixing with other franchises, but when it's called freaking Capcom Fighting Jam you expect the full exploitation of their wide variety of franchises. Especially when their characters are SO COOL, I mean even when they make kind of crappy games their character designs are always great.

Top Bottom