• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new details on Xbox 360's ATI GPU - It's called Xenos !!!!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
midnightguy said:
ok there are so many threads and so much info that i am having trouble keeping up. what do the tech heads here think of the revelation that Xenos / C1 / R500 has 4 ALUs in each of the 48 shader pipes ( i thought the 48 shader pipes themselves where ALUs) for a total of 196 ALUs? o_O

thats what this *sounds* like to me.. which, if its the case, the 360 just became an assload more impressive.

Jan

Can´t you simply speak for the common being?

Is that simple , what is more powerful , RSX or Xenos?PS3 CPU or 360 CPU ?360 or PS3 ?

Shogmaster said:
I just got done talking with the ATI guys at their booth.

When I got there, and after fully absorbing the new cool realtime demo for X360, sI was like "I want to know more about the R500 in the X360. Can I ask some Q's?" And they were like "It's not a PC part". And I was like "Yeah, not the R520, but the R500 of the X360". And they were like "Stop calling it that. It's got nothing to do with the next gen PC part". And I was like "I'm stupid. Help me." :lol

lmfao :lol :lol :lol :lol

Jan said:
Can´t you simply speak for the common being?

Is that simple , what is more powerful , RSX or Xenos?PS3 CPU or 360 CPU ?360 or PS3 ?

well, probably RSX, but, Xenos is probably more efficient and more powerful "pound for pound". so while RSX still probably has more performance, it is doubtful that Xenos is totally outclassed. the differences we see on screen, in games, should be minimal.

FightyF

Banned
But that's not factoring the difference between the CPUs, Jan.

I wouldn't know how CELL compares to the 360's CPU...but from what I gather from the non-technical jargon it's 2-3 times faster. I could be wrong.

Pug

Freedom, the CELL 218 Gflops is slightly less than 2x more powerful than 360 tri core 115gflops. Of course things are not quite this simple.

Fight for Freeform said:
But that's not factoring the difference between the CPUs, Jan.

I wouldn't know how CELL compares to the 360's CPU...but from what I gather from the non-technical jargon it's 2-3 times faster. I could be wrong.

like Pug said, it is slightly less than twice as powerful in floating point performance.

Jan

That´s assuming as true the Sony numbers . They also said that RSX have a performance of 1.8 teraflops and that is huge .

Anyway I guess that PS3 will be more powerful than 360 just as it get released later .

Jan said:
That´s assuming as true the Sony numbers . They also said that RSX have a performance of 1.8 teraflops and that is huge .

Anyway I guess that PS3 will be more powerful than 360 just as it get released later .

more poweful yes, but its going to be more like Genesis vs SNES and not like Dreamcast vs PS2 where PS2 was technically 4 to 5 times more powerful in FP calculations, polygon and fillrate performance, bandwidth, etc.

the games on Xbox360 and PS3 should end up being very similar, at least for the first few years.

Top Bottom