• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New EDGE Scores

refreshZ

Silent Hill 4 - 6
Driv3r - 3
Shellshock: Nam 67 - 4
Vib Ripple - 5
Future Tactics - 6
Psi-ops - 8
Mashed - 8
Shadow Ops: Red Mercury - 4
Mario Vs Donkey Kong - 7
Espgaluda - 8
Perimeter - 8
Karaoke Stage - 6
Athens 2004 - 6

Driv3r - 3 <-- Surprised it even scored this high.

Pug

Tell you one thing Mashed has got 8/10 in all the publications I've read. Best multiply game for ages me thinks.

Manders

Banned
It's more of the same, that's what gives. Not to mention the last game wasn't that great. I never finished it. Bored me to tears.

nubbe

6 = If you like horror games you should check this one out, but don’t expect anything special.

Dekajelly

Pug said:
Tell you one thing Mashed has got 8/10 in all the publications I've read. Best multiply game for ages me thinks.

True. I loved Circuit Breakers on the PSone, totally owned the Micro Machines series. Mashed got 9/10 in OPM UK with an excellent demo, with the chance to win a £10,000 car with a code ranking system on the demo. :D

pilonv1

Nothing out of the ordinary here. I'm definitely going to try Mashed now.

I am dying to read the review text for Driver. At least it has earned it's marketing name of "Driv3r" thanks to Edge.

Volt

Could it be true ?? An "Edge Scores" thread in which we all agree with the scores ? I may have to look into Psi-Ops now.. is it really THAT good ?

Kiriku said:
Hmm, Vib Ripple is out already?? I wonder what they didn't like about it...

Probably the fact that it pretty much sucks. :(

5 actually seems high for them.

And that's coming from one of the biggest NanaOn-Sha fans you'll ever meet. C'mon guys, enough bad Vib Ribbon (which wasn't even THAT good itself) off-shoots, get back to Parappa/Lammy! Or better yet, something new entirely!

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
bobbyconover said:
Probably the fact that it pretty much sucks. :(

5 actually seems high for them.

And that's coming from one of the biggest NanaOn-Sha fans you'll ever meet. C'mon guys, enough bad Vib Ribbon (which wasn't even THAT good itself) off-shoots, get back to Parappa/Lammy! Or better yet, something new entirely!

Yeah, I hope they'll do something different for their next project. A Lammy sequel! :D

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Shellshock: Nam 67 - 4"

67 minus 4 ? or just 4? or... -4?

isn't this from the Killzone guys??

DCharlie said:
"Shellshock: Nam 67 - 4"

67 minus 4 ? or just 4? or... -4?

isn't this from the Killzone guys??

Yah it's actually strange that they reviewed it since most reports seem to indicate it's not even completed (at E3 IGN said it was very incomplete).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Yes. It's from a different team within Guerrilla, but shares some of the tecnologies used for Killzone. It's not a bad game IMO. It just feels like it needed a couple of extra develempent months.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SolidSnakex said:
Yah it's actually strange that they reviewed it since most reports seem to indicate it's not even completed (at E3 IGN said it was very incomplete).

That's why I think it was rushed out. I mean, the whole base camp idea is so unexpressed. You talk to people who say how shit the war is and that's it. Of course you can get some 'boom boom' if u buy the pass froma fellow GI but than again there is no purpose in doing that. You don't even see sex. It just happens behind closed doors and doesn't give you any benefit (energy level is restored automatically between missions).

TTP said:
That's why I think it was rushed out. I mean, the whole base camp idea is so unexpressed. You talk to people who say how shit the war is and that's it. Of course you can get some 'boom boom' if u buy the pass froma fellow GI but than again there is no purpose in doing that. You don't even see sex. It just happens behind closed doors and doesn't give you any benefit (energy level is restored automatically between missions).

Are you sure the code is complete? It still a couple months away from release and Eidos said it was delayed to fix some things.. I liked the premise of the premise of the when it was first announced. But it kinda seems like they dropped the ball. Killzone seems to be getting alot more polish though which is good.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
SolidSnakex said:
Are you sure the code is complete? It still a couple months away from release and Eidos said it was delayed to fix some things..

The PS2 (and PC, I believe) code is final. The Xbox version "may be tweaked", but the game wasn't delayed for fixes.

pilonv1

It was due for release around the end of the financial year. So I'm guessing review code went out a few weeks before and that's what they used. Seems like it needed the delay.

pilonv1

Agent Dormer said:
Oh, so Mario vs. Donkey Kong doesn't count? Reading is fundamental!

GBA doesn't count because Nintendo first party games score well in Edge (8/9s for ports of SNES games). Gamecube software scores usually brings the fanboy noise.

EAJAPAN

Volt said:
Could it be true ?? An "Edge Scores" thread in which we all agree with the scores ? I may have to look into Psi-Ops now.. is it really THAT good ?

It's great, but I clocked it in three hours, six minutes on normal difficulty.

There's heaps of unlockable content, but if anything it's more like an interactive DVD. Best rental game in a long long while perhaps.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
pilonv1 said:
Gamecube software scores usually brings the fanboy noise.

Are you kidding me? I dont read edge, but judging from the scores they give, they're one of the biggest GC loving mags out there.

Pug

Shellshock: Nam 67 is also reviewed in one of the UK Xbox mags. It gets an average score if I remember. It points out that graphically its quite poor, very poor draw distance with stuff popping up all over the place. the pluses were the jungle action was decent.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SolidSnakex said:
Are you sure the code is complete? It still a couple months away from release and Eidos said it was delayed to fix some things.. I liked the premise of the premise of the when it was first announced. But it kinda seems like they dropped the ball. Killzone seems to be getting alot more polish though which is good.

It reads "review code" con the DVD. And a date: 05.28.2004. I've got confirmation that's the final code from our PR. If Eidos sent an incomplete code to the press, their bad.

Yet the most significat issues with ShellShock are not just those dependant on a rushed job. The AI is "early Killzone videos" level (they can move smartly from cover to cover, but get close enough and they act/react veeery slowly) and the game does its best not to show this issue killing you if you rush forward solo (instead of staying behind cover with your comrades) as well as limiting the freedom of movement within the environment opposing invisible walls or not allowing to go up a 20cm ledge if that leads to a "shitty-IA-reaction-level-revealing" situation.

Yet there are some memorable moments. Ambushes can scare the hell out of your ass... at least until you realize you can regain some amount of energy just staying out of the conflict for a sec or two.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
A quick update on ShellShock. A new review code is coming in the next week. Through its local PRs, Eidos is asking to hold back the publication of reviews based on the old code. So there is still hope.

Top Bottom