• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New EyeToy: Play 2 details emerge

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/08/19/news_6105264.html

SCEE dishes on the follow-up to the first title for the PlayStation 2’s camera peripheral.

Nearly six months after they showed it off at GDC ’04, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) has revealed more detail about EyeToy: Play 2. The sequel to the first game for the PlayStation 2’s camera peripheral will offer 12 new mini-games, including: Kung2, an interactive kung-fu game in which players will employ real-life kicks and punches; DIY, a home-improvement sim; and Mr. Chef, which will cast players as short-order cooks. All games will have a new multi-player tournament option which will allow four players to take sequential turns.

EyeToy: Play 2 will also use improved, patented technology in several mini-games. Home Run, Table Tennis, and Boxing will employ the Motion-Cam technology, which allows the EyeToy to gauge the force with which players swing or punch. Home Run will also use MiniVision, which will take a player’s picture and insert his or her image into the game.

Several other technologies will be used in EyeToy: Play 2. Sonic-Cam will bring audio recognition to the PS2, allowing it to award points according to how loud people shout. The Cutout-Cam will superimpose player’s images into a new environment, while Color-Cam will let players control games by using colored objects.

Paranoid PS2 owners convinced their roommates are stealing their games will welcome the addition of SpyToy, which turns the EyeToy into a motion-activated security camera. The SpyToy will record images or video of intruders and can also broadcast a personalized message which will appear on the TV.

EyeToy: Play 2 will ship in November 2004 in Europe. No American release date has been set.

Nos_G

Sounds good... I found Eyetoy: Groove to be lackluster compared to the original Play.

It just felt very incomplete.

Why is Singstar a PAL release only?

impirius

Groove could've been SO AWESOME... but damn if the horrible menu system didn't make it nearly unplayable.

I'm looking forward to Play 2. The colored objects stuff sounds like it has great party game potential.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I saw something which to me looks better for Eyetoy for motion tracking the other day, it was called Gametrac (yes its the people that made the handheld developers change their products name to Gizmondo) Unfortunately i cant find its website to show you.

Itt sits on the floor and has what are basically two analogue sticks on it, out of each is a length of string (didnt actually check what that was made out of) which extends to a handle, you put a handle in each hand (play standing up). It Gives full 3d movement and it doesnt require any of the room set up, something which has frustrated me with Eyetoy on occasion, it had a great punchbag game (well not a great game but because you can really punch and see your actions come up on screen its great. Apparently theres a 2d fighter in development (looked very cool) aswell as a golf game, which i would imagine would also be very cool.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Groove could've been SO AWESOME... but damn if the horrible menu system didn't make it nearly unplayable.
'Groove' IS awesome (screw the 'Play', I say...). The menu system can be quickly and easily operated via the controller (I hope you knew that...), so no problems there.

The colored objects system was demoed on one of the OPM demo discs and works great indeed. It basically allows a lot more precise tracking. They have also experimented with infrared camera system that tracks full 3D movement using just one camera.

Still, out of all the Eyetoy games coming out, only Harmonix's 'Anitgrav' really interests me.

impirius

It's just that you still have to pick up the controller and navigate through something like three slow-loading menus, entering initials (A is my new nickname) and confirming a save to memory card every time. It disrupts the flow of the game and is just a pain in the neck for no good reason.

Maybe when I'm older I'll have the patience to stick with it. ;)

Top Bottom