• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New HD pack for Xbox from Microsoft

Hellraizah

It seems Microsoft changed the way they make the HD pack. Last time I received a batch, they weren't what they used to be. Before, it was a sort of box that you plugged into the Xbox, and they you would plug your component cables on this box. Now, it seems like they went to the "Monster Cable" type of cable, and the component cable plugs directly into the Xbox output. Strange.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Bog said:
That sucks. Before, it was a cheap way to get some decent component cables.

What? The stock Componet Cables suck

Suikoguy said:
What? The stock Componet Cables suck

They do their job quite nicely. You don't need some fat ass honkin' cable to run a 480p image. The bandwidth requirements for that are quite low. Unless you're running your stock cables next to a bare electrical wire, I don't see a problem there.

SKluck

Banned
How do you use optical? Just a dongle or some shit? I like that way better though, that big bastard box is annoying.

shpankey

not an idiot
this is actually GOOD news as you want to minimize any connections. 1 straight through connection is much better than having to connect it through two wires. should be better quality and less wireage

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
shpankey said:
this is actually GOOD news as you want to minimize any connections. 1 straight through connection is much better than having to connect it through two wires. should be better quality and less wireage

Yes, that would be correct. The less connections the better

ChrisReid

SKluck said:
How do you use optical? Just a dongle or some shit? I like that way better though, that big bastard box is annoying.

There's still a little piece on the cables where you can plug an optical cable in. I have a question about optical cables though.. Are there 5.1 speaker sets that have an optical input? Or is that what a receiver is for? If I wanted to do the real 5.1 for the XBox, would I need both a speaker set and a receiver?

There is no measurable resistance plugging the component cables in the jacks on the HD pack. Don't buy into the hype of the Monster Cable type shit. You guys need to read up on electrical engineering, or just read some home theater message boards.

In short, this new HD pack is not going to change anything, except make it cheaper for Microsoft to produce.

ChrisReid

Dragona Akehi said:
Yes a receiver and the speakers.

The receiver is what decodes the information on the disc so that the speakers can play it.

How about those "home theater" bundles that have a 5.1 set and a DVD player I see in ads occasionally? I've got a 20 inch nice toshiba tv now. It's not HD, but I'm using its component jacks and quality is good. Wondering if it's a good time to upgrade the tv.. or maybe I can just put the money towards sound now and see how tv prices are after the holidays. How much should I spend on a decent sound system? I see bundle sets for around $180.. and then I see receivers by themselves for $150.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Jesus, Monster cable has gotten to some other people. Yes, more connections can lead to increased interference, but if you listen to some people you would think not having nitrogen filled cords with solid 24K gold connections would cause your TV to explode.

I have a friend who actually bought one of those fucking monster cable machines that 'cleans' your electricity... fucking dolt.

Quick, someone get that penny arcade.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
ChrisReid said:
How about those "home theater" bundles that have a 5.1 set and a DVD player I see in ads occasionally? I've got a 20 inch nice toshiba tv now. It's not HD, but I'm using its component jacks and quality is good. Wondering if it's a good time to upgrade the tv.. or maybe I can just put the money towards sound now and see how tv prices are after the holidays. How much should I spend on a decent sound system? I see bundle sets for around $180.. and then I see receivers by themselves for $150.

I would spend a bit more than 200 on a reciever set.. You can get a *decent* one for around 300... you will usually get your best stuff by the components seperetly.. but if you dont sit in your room and get off to how low a frequency your sub can put out, you will likely be happy with one of those bundles.

Pfucata

The funny thing is that the old box approach gave you better performance when you paired the box with stuff like Canare cable... hopefully the old HD box will work with Xenon...

ChrisReid

StoOgE said:
I would spend a bit more than 200 on a reciever set.. You can get a *decent* one for around 300... you will usually get your best stuff by the components seperetly.. but if you dont sit in your room and get off to how low a frequency your sub can put out, you will likely be happy with one of those bundles.

Yeah.. I really don't even care about very loud volume. I'd just like to be able to hear people creeping up on me in Rainbow Six and that sort of thing. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...66683-5135331?v=glance&s=electronics&n=172563 seems to do what I'd want then. Nobody else in my family uses any sound system at all, so that seems like it'd do well for me for a couple years and then I could give it to somebody else and get something better.

Pachinko

For Optimal Gaming experiences I recommend the following-

A system of your choice(tho preferably Xbox or cube due to tru 5.1)

A reciever capable of atleast 5.1 dolby digital and DTS sound with a subwoofer and speakers plus optical input.

A television with component inputs(most newer tv's have them now)

You'll then need the HD / component cable pack for the system that you have and if you own an Xbox or a PS2 you'll Require an optical audio cable.

Honestly, if I had 2 grand in the bank(canadian poster here) to spend on a HT setup right now I'd be getting a TV with 3 or even 4 component inputs (one for each system + an actual DVD player) a reciever capable of 6.1 sound Dolby or DTS EX .. or whatever the newer format is called again.

Has it stands I have a servicable setup that's good enough for a small basement , Remember you don't need expensive large speakers if you live in an apartment or have everything set up in a bedroom.

Also, something often overlooked- Audio is infinitly more important then straight visual quality. Personaly I can't even play a game when it's muted, and playing something on a regular stereo TV seems really empty now, even compared to my moderate 5.1 setup.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
yeah it does. Prologic II. Original spec allows for 'fake' 5.1 from a stereo/prologic source, like a VCR, but the cube can take advantage of the way it decodes, and encode a fully discrete 5.1 (maybe 5?) channel output into its stereo signal.

Miburou

mrklaw said:
yeah it does. Prologic II. Original spec allows for 'fake' 5.1 from a stereo/prologic source, like a VCR, but the cube can take advantage of the way it decodes, and encode a fully discrete 5.1 (maybe 5?) channel output into its stereo signal.

Regardless of whatever the hell that means, the PS2 also has Prologic II, so him saying preferably cube is false.

Shompola

Banned
Prologic II is stereo matrixed to 5.1
It is NOT discrete not matter how GC encodes the sound channel. The decoding is the keyword here and not encoding.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
now we are getting into semantics. Always fun ;)

Prologic II uses an advanced decoding algorithm to 'create' positional audio where previously there wasn't any. Eg, stereo music tracks. It can also further enhance a prologic soundtrack, splitting the mono rear channel into separate left and right. Now all of this is guesswork by the decoder, but it does a good job.

Working backwards from that, if you know how the decoding is done, you can create your stereo signal in such a way as to predictably position specific audio samples in any of the 5 speakers being driven.

Just like prologic 1 is only a stereo source, but at the audio mastering stage, sounds can be positioned anywhere front/left/right/rear. Its simply that the carrier is two channel analogue, rather than digital.

PLII is the same, but the stereo can carry encoded front/left/right/rearleft/rearright signals.

D.Cowboys

Neo Member
Error Macro said:
There is no measurable resistance plugging the component cables in the jacks on the HD pack. Don't buy into the hype of the Monster Cable type shit. You guys need to read up on electrical engineering, or just read some home theater message boards.

In short, this new HD pack is not going to change anything, except make it cheaper for Microsoft to produce.

We have a winner.

Top Bottom