• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Kameo Preview, Screens, Dev Commentary

Redbeard

Banned
I don't think Rare's titles even use bump/normal mapping. Around E3 (buried in an impressions article somewhere) one of the devs working on Conker said that bump mapping uses too many cycles or something, and that they much preferred specular maps and some other stuff.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
_1820672_stevefry150.jpg

DCharlie

can i just ask - what is not to like about new techniques/effects?

I don`T think the bloom lighting looks that bad in the above screenshots.

i`m sitting playing Roddick at the moment and i can`t think of anything that comes close to it on a console

human5892

Queen of Denmark
It looks pretty decent, and sounds like it could be a really fun game...but neither of those things is going to prevent it from bombing, IMO. I don't think the Xbox demographic is interested in this kind of game.

Xbox games definately have a distinct look to them.

The glare and bump mapping effects are overdone sometimes.
that's why people think Xbox games have "bad art style".

SyNapSe

Just read the IGN impressions. Sounds surprisingly fun.. doesn't sound like it's a platformer at all but more Action/Adventure.

I hate it when the puzzles are super hard or annoying tho, I hope that isn't the case..

DCharlie

"The glare and bump mapping effects are overdone sometimes.
that's why people think Xbox games have "bad art style"."

Theres a fair share of shitty looking games on all the systems. I just find it a little odd for some one to say "I hate ALL the xbox effects".

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
ugh

i hate this stupid over exposed light effect.

"quick! pile on pointless effects to cover up our lack of design skill!"

ge-man

DCharlie--I think the problem the poster is that those kinds of effects do seem overdone. But it's not the fault of the hardware--give the GC the same group of developers and you would likely have the same misuse of specular maps and other things. The machine is just a tool, what you see depends much more on what developers are thinking of and not hardware features.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
sp0rsk said:
ugh

i hate this stupid over exposed light effect.

"quick! pile on pointless effects to cover up our lack of design skill!"

Hopefully you say that just in the context of certain games (ie - THIS game)...

It is a beautiful effect when applied properly afterall, but it seems that many developers tend to use it in the manner you have suggested...

ICO is a great example of using over-brights and bloom effects properly. Without the lighting, it would have looked nowhere near as beautiful. Even in some less artistically accomplished titles (such as the recent Prince of Persia title) the bloom lighting effect can be really quite beautiful and add a lot to the overall visual flair. Many of the lighting effects that you are seeing are being used to bring game visuals closer to that of CG footage. Where else would we be heading afterall? Lighting IS the next big thing for game visuals, so it only makes sense that many developers would be attempting to harness any available power to pull it off...

Ranger X

What the fuck "Xbox effect" ??? There's no "Xbox effects" it's just effects and that's all. lol
You can see glare effect and bump mapping here and there on the PS2 and GC. It's just that the Xbox put more effects more often.
And do you think they will spare those effects for you on the next gen guys?? lol
You talk shit like in the N64 times when people discovered "filtering over textures" ---- it's now pretty normal nowadays and nobody complains.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
dark10x said:
Hopefully you say that just in the context of certain games (ie - THIS game)...

It is a beautiful effect when applied properly afterall, but it seems that many developers tend to use it in the manner you have suggested...

ICO is a great example of using over-brights and bloom effects properly. Without the lighting, it would have looked nowhere near as beautiful. Even in some less artistically accomplished titles (such as the recent Prince of Persia title) the bloom lighting effect can be really quite beautiful and add a lot to the overall visual flair. Many of the lighting effects that you are seeing are being used to bring game visuals closer to that of CG footage. Where else would we be heading afterall? Lighting IS the next big thing for game visuals, so it only makes sense that many developers would be attempting to harness any available power to pull it off...

yes its definitely in the context of just certain games. This game is just a post prince of persia bandwagoneer. (in terms of using this effect)

Top Bottom