• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Mega Man Legends 3 Prototype interview

bunkitz

Don't do this, man. Don't... *cries*

God, I miss Legends and 2 so damn much. Loved the shit out of those games, especially 2. FUCK.

Not playing as Mega Man was the killer for me. It's a MM game, we play as MM. This game was doomed from the get go with that shoehorned new lead character.
It was supposed to be a prologue chapter. You only played as Barret until the (assumed) successful rescue of Megaman off of Elysium. And like many things in the Megaman Legends Universe, Barret looked to be inheriting the parallel role of Zero as a sort of rival for Trigger as an ode to older Megaman games, so I wouldn't have really taken issue with his inclusion.

However I do see where the confusion lies for newcomers, but was hopeful that would add to the mystery of "where is Megaman?". It was certainly a unique take to market a game with a mystery as to the whereabouts of the star character.

wwm0nkey

Not playing as Mega Man was the killer for me. It's a MM game, we play as MM. This game was doomed from the get go with that shoehorned new lead character.
I believe there was supposed to be more stuff leading up to Mega Man's return, you were going to play as Mega Man in the full game iirc

Was there not a animation leak on it earlier this year?

Yes, but it was still being worked on so some things were missing and it was just like first episode. I'm more interested in the game since I prefer how game Beck looks but there hasn't been any new info on it, and with Fuze not releasing their console (the reason they funded Red Ash) and Comcept being bought by Level 5 who knows what has happened with the Red Ash game. :S

On a side note, I really would've thought that Capcom would've done something with Megaman after all this years even if it was a F2P phone game or like Xover 2 or anything... I guess Megaman will only see the light of day with the Capcom cross over games and that's it T_T.

It's a shame you Mega Man fans didn't show more interest in this game when it was in development. You probably could've saved it from being canceled...

Nachos

So weird that they almost finished recording the entire English dub for the game, only to cancel it. I have to wonder how far along they really were.

I'll never forgive Capcom for failing to live up to their own shitty trial-balloon precedent back then. Petty, untalented business execs simply trashed all the hard work and potential this project had, all because another asshole exec bit off more than he could chew right before leaving the company. Sure, I've moved on to other things, but this still reeks in the back of my mind.

Glad they cancelled it, Barrett looks awful and switching between characters in adventure rpgs feels terrible. My Legends love will remain intact.
Barrett, at best, would have been Volnutt's friendly male rival, and it seems he was going to have a relationship with at least one of the Casketts (maybe Barrel's long-lost grandson or something). Mega Man Volnutt would have had bigger problems in Teomo.

I don't really see how that disproves me?
You play these games thinking Megaman is just some robot dude on an Earth looking planet, and then you later learn he's actually from some weird intellectually superior planet called Elysium. Like, you can use different scientific language to talk around it, but basically, Megaman is otherworldly.
The backstory's really not too hard to grasp by the end. You missed how
Elysium isn't another planet, but the Legends planet's moon converted into a space colony. Volnutt, aka Trigger, is the potential missing link between Elysium's gynoids/androids (two of which help and hurt your quest in Legends 2, accompanied by their servant droids) and the planet's Carbons (humans with capacity to attach inorganic devices/"parts" beyond regular prosthetics)
. The "Volnutt" part of Rock matters much more than his "Trigger" part now, too, since the Master System/Elysium plot ends presumably as soon as Roll and Tron get him down from the moon (while rediscovering spaceflight!).

The likeliest story premise for Legends 3 back in the Devroom era, aside from the Casketts and Bonnes retrieving Mega Man, would have involved the reactivation of the Elder System (earthbound prototype to the Master System which factored into the first two games) around the Teomo islands.

Never forget the prototype that was supposed to decide the gate of the game was complete and all Capcom had to do was push a button and it was ready to go.
Seriously...I hope (fruitlessly) that the Capcom board of directors regret leaving money on the table in an era when they were starting to struggle. And they looked so incompetent during the PR fallout from this cancellation, no matter how stupid Inafune looked and appears now. The developers didn't deserve this, and those who went to work on E.X. Troopers (which was going to happen regardless of Legends 3) got shafted again when that game was denied a localization (presumably because of baked text graphics which Capcom wouldn't bother to re-do).

At least I got a Legends 2 store poster for my Devroom participation. And I'm pretty sure I signed up for GAF after reading Legends 3 threads here before and after the debacle.

MogCakes

It was supposed to be a prologue chapter. You only played as Barret until the (assumed) successful rescue of Megaman off of Elysium. And like many things in the Megaman Legends Universe, Barret looked to be inheriting the parallel role of Zero as a sort of rival for Trigger as an ode to older Megaman games, so I wouldn't have really taken issue with his inclusion.

However I do see where the confusion lies for newcomers, but was hopeful that would add to the mystery of "where is Megaman?". It was certainly a unique take to market a game with a mystery as to the whereabouts of the star character.
I understand what they were trying to do with Barrett, but I have zero interest in playing the opening episode of a MML game as someone other than MM.

wwm0nkey

I understand what they were trying to do with Barrett, but I have zero interest in playing the opening episode of a MML game as someone other than MM.

idk I didn't have a problem with it, gets me excited to play as MM again after doing an episode or 2 of another character

The other part of the sting was seeing them dump far larger sums of money at the time on games that not only turned out to be total flops, but that sold far less than MML3 would have on the 3DS. Asura's Wrath, Lost Planet 3, Bionic Commando,and even the reanimated corpse of the Legends 3 engine, EX Troopers, all failed miserably.

I guess playing as Zero/Bass/Protoman wasn't your thing then in other Megaman games? :p

ryan13ts

I hope the prototype gets leaked online somehow one day, it would be great to actually be able to play this one day. Although, it will still sting knowing we'll never get to play the full game.

I still can't forgive Capcom for this.

wwm0nkey

I hope the prototype gets leaked online somehow one day, it would be great to actually be able to play this one day. Although, it will still sting knowing we'll never get to play the full game.

I still can't forgive Capcom for this.

There is probably a version of it out there somewhere, with Citra and CFW hopefully we can play it one day

koutoru

Man, I still remember the day I found out about the cancellation.
I nearly fell out of my seat reading the news.

Top Bottom