• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Meteos Impressions

Vibri

Banned
Just looks like it:

Lumines:

lumines-20040925104915062.jpg

Meteos:

ss02b.jpg

i know they're not the same game, but it's like Mizuguchi started with the same basic game idea, then modified them for younger and older markets respectively.

Jonnyram

Have you actually read anything about either game? The only think they have in common is blocks - besides that, they play totally differently. Also, Mizuguchi is producing the games. Meteos was actually designed by Sakurai.

Grubdog

Banned
Kiddy? :lol

What is it about it that would make children more interested? I don't see it.

Both games look interesting, is Meteos that DS game people were claiming was "the new tetris" and "as addictive as bubble wrap"?

Jonnyram said:
Have you actually read anything about either game? The only think they have in common is blocks - besides that, they play totally differently. Also, Mizuguchi is producing the games. Meteos was actually designed by Sakurai.

Quite true, music isn't even involved in Meteos other than making that cute stick figure thing dance apparently. And anyways, since when did we judge puzzlers on target demographics? Hell, both sound like they can pretty complex, like all puzzlers.

I'm really interested in the multiplayer now, and I'm curious as to how they'll keep things competitive and different in comparison to other puzzlers. 8 player Puyo Pop Fever is still boggling my mind.

Also, to get slightly off topic, has Lumines been mentioned to have any kind of multiplayer?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Hehe, the font used in Meteos is truly awful, and yet bizarrely appealing. Mainly because it reminds me of a common C64 font.

Jonnyram

On a tangent, Meteos is kiddy because kids will whoop adults' asses at it, thanks to the insanely multi-tasking gameplay :p

Vibri

Banned
as i said, i realize they're different games.

but as two puzzle games coming out from the same publisher and same producer during the same month, my observation is that one has a more sophisticated/adult look than the other.

RMX

Banned
how do u describe an adult look ? It's hard to understand...
are u a kid, are u an adult ?

So, you think that DOA is more adult than Tetris 'cause there are boobs in it...come on...
:D you're the kiddy.

Vibri

Banned
obviously there's no objective definition of what looks mature and what doesn't. i personally think feel the magic looks super sophisticated, though i'm sure some would say it looks basic or just too 'girly'.

looking at the presentation of mizuguchi's two upcoming puzzle games, you have to admit there are similarities - the falling blocks, the three preview icons on the left, the little dancing music icon present beneath those icons on both games.

the visual style in Lumines however seems more sophisticated/mature.

Jonnyram

Vibri said:
obviously there's no objective definition of what looks mature and what doesn't. i personally think feel the magic looks super sophisticated, though i'm sure some would say it looks basic or just too 'girly'.
I think the bright colours in Meteos is what makes you feel like this, but I don't think it implies kiddy.

looking at the presentation of mizuguchi's two upcoming puzzle games, you have to admit there are similarities - the falling blocks, the three preview icons on the left, the little dancing music icon present beneath those icons on both games.
Every puzzle game that tries to use a brand, or create a new brand, includes some kind of "dancing music icon". I don't think Meteos' is music-based anyway, it's a progress icon like Puzzle Fighter, Puyo Puyo, etc. The three preview icons only exist in Lumines. What you see in Meteos are the three planets you can choose from, to attack one at a time.

the visual style in Lumines however seems more sophisticated/mature.
I'll give you sophisticated, but that doesn't imply mature for me.

Jacobi

Banned
Grubdog said:
Both games look interesting, is Meteos that DS game people were claiming was "the new tetris" and "as addictive as bubble wrap"?
I think that was "One Line Puzzle"

GDGF

Soothsayer
Grubdog said:
Kiddy? :lol

What is it about it that would make children more interested? I don't see it.

I'm guessing that 'bubble wrap' game would be one line puzzle battler (or whatever the hell it's called...I should really remember the game's name as it looked pretty cool)

GDGF

Soothsayer
All of the kiddy games we've been unknowingly playing over the years have made us way too sensitive!

Justin Bailey

------ ------
So anyway. . .how about those impressions!

I haven't been paying much attention to this game but it sounds very interesting. The multiplayer option sounds real cool (so long as I can find someone else to play it with).
What is most exciting about Meteos is the multiplayer mode, of which little was known until now. A full explanation was gleamed off a friendly Q? Entertainment employee. Supporting up to four players, Meteos' multiplayer mode is best described as a fighting puzzle game. On the left hand side of the touch panel, the names and color representations of the 3 other planets on the top screen are selectable, enabling you to aim the blocks you are sending back to space towards one of your opponents. Sit and ponder this for a second. Multiplayer Meteos will be a game of ganging up and shifting alliances, where paying attention to the speed of your board, the condition of your opponents, and your current target are all critical to success. Helping in this is the fact that each planet is represented by different shaped blocks (the colors are the same) and a dancing Meteo avatar who bops along to the rather excellent disco inspired sound track. You will also know who is firing at you by watching the top screen, where meteors propelled into space are tracked towards the target and result in rather satisfying aural and visual explosions. Another bit of new info is that Q? Entertainment plans on including single cart wireless multiplayer, which may do wonders in bringing the excellent Meteos experience to others.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Justin Bailey said:
So anyway. . .how about those impressions!

I haven't been paying much attention to this game but it sounds very interesting. The multiplayer option sounds real cool (so long as I can find someone else to play it with).

Yeah, multiplayer sounds badass. It's like a combination of that old strategy board game full of shifting alliances (Stratigo, was it?) with kicky puzzle gameplay. Sounds nice. Impressions have been good all around from what i've read, so it looks like a must buy.

(wish it had one cart multiplayer, though)

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Cruel Bastard Mario said:
Yeah, multiplayer sounds badass. It's like a combination of that old strategy board game full of shifting alliances (Stratigo, was it?) with kicky puzzle gameplay. Sounds nice. Impressions have been good all around from what i've read, so it looks like a must buy.

(wish it had one cart multiplayer, though)
It does apparently:

Another bit of new info is that Q? Entertainment plans on including single cart wireless multiplayer, which may do wonders in bringing the excellent Meteos experience to others.

Meteos a kiddy version of Lumines? my ass. guys should give credit where credits due. Mizuguchi is producing the game. but Sakurai is the one that came up with the idea for this game.

they might look similar, but they play really different. i recommend you guys read IGN's preview of the game.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/563/563237p1.html

anyways, with the amount of talent behind this game, it's gonna be really fuckin awesome. i've known about this one for some time, and it's easily in my top 3 most wanted DS games i'd say.

Top Bottom