• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New? Metroid Prime 2 E Media

CrisKre

Hi rez to boot.

dol_metroidprime2_samus_01tiff.jpg

dol_metroidprime2_ss_04.jpg

dol_metroidprime2_ss_01.jpg

dol_metroidprime2_ss_02.jpg

CrisKre

The in game Prime shots never photographed well. That said, the first shot looks awesome, full of effects and should be absolutely gorgeous in motion (with the fluidity we expext from retro and all)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Society said:
Is that a nice way of saying it is ugly?

Hell no. After being kicked in the balls by hearing that MGS3 is only 30 fps, this is quite simply the ONLY 60 fps game I have left to look forward to this fall. It looks fantastic!

dark10x

Bluemercury said:
Where did you read that MGS3 was 30fps?i really doubt it.....

The demo is 30 fps. Confirmed by one of the only other people on this board I trust when it comes to judging framerates; Marconelly.

MrPing1000 said:
i swear i thought this was hunters when i first looked at the pics. Grainy vision fooled me!

Blame Nintendo and their awsome system screen capture, and judging by the pple who actually played DS its even worse on the new portable.....

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Those are some pretty bad captures, almost make the game look below the first one. We actually started getting decent shots of Prime, so i don't know why they've gone back to the crap way.

It doesn't matter really, I've seen the videos and know it's considerably better looking than it's predecessor, it's just not a great way to promote a game.

Bebpo

Banned
dark10x said:
The demo is 30 fps. Confirmed by one of the only other people on this board I trust when it comes to judging framerates; Marconelly.

And I said exactly that back at E3 with the demo and no one believed me :p

ge-man

I don't know why these captures have to be so crappy. If all you saw of the game where these pics, you would think that Retro was putting out a turd. The actually demo is sharper and cleaner than the first Metroid Prime.

dark--I had no idea about MGS being 30fps. It isn't too much of a surprise, however. I know some people have been disappointed with with MP 2 not being a huge step up from the first, but to make the kinds of strides we are seeing stuff like MGS3 or RE4, the framerate will have to be sacraficed. Hopefully, it the cut will be worth it in MGS case.

dark10x

Bebpo said:
And I said exactly that back at E3 with the demo and no one believed me :p

Hey, I'm sorry. :p

It's just that I've found that VERY few people have a really good eye when it comes to issues involving framerates and I Marco was the first person I really trust with framerate judgement to take a look at the game.

BTW, your review of Shadow Hearts 2 convinced me to buy the game...and I must say thanks! I'm loving it! :)

dark--I had no idea about MGS being 30fps. It isn't too much of a surprise, however. I know some people have been disappointed with with MP 2 not being a huge step up from the first, but to make the kinds of strides we are seeing stuff like MGS3 or RE4, the framerate will have to be sacraficed. Hopefully, it the cut will be worth it in MGS case.

Well, in MP's case, I already still think it looks good enough that they shouldn't need to overhaul the engine. The ONLY improvements I REALLY want to see has to do with liquids and such. The water, lava, etc. all looked pretty bad in Prime and was one aspect that REALLY needed work. Sadly, I'm not so sure they've addressed that.

Mama Smurf

Some captures of the original game to compare:

metroidprime1.jpg

03.jpg

13.jpg

GC0642_1_lq.jpg

036.jpg

Hard to believe the second game looks better, huh?

The water, lava, etc. all looked pretty bad in Prime and was one aspect that REALLY needed work. Sadly, I'm not so sure they've addressed that.

I don't think we'll see any lava in the next game, they said they didn't want to go down the traditional Metroid lava/snow worlds route (side note: WTF? When did Metroid have snow worlds before Prime?), and as far as I'm aware, no water shots have been released yet either.

ge-man said:
I don't know why these captures have to be so crappy. If all you saw of the game where these pics, you would think that Retro was putting out a turd. The actually demo is sharper and cleaner than the first Metroid Prime.

Someone said Re4 wasnt 30 fps can anyone confirm this?

dark10x

Come on, this was like the best screen ever released for Prime 1...

Not really a fair comparison. :p

metroidprime1.jpg

Bluemercury said:
Someone said Re4 wasnt 30 fps can anyone confirm this?

It's 30 fps.

Mama Smurf

Well the other shots make it look better regardless.

Retro better have variety in the looks of their worlds. I don't care how much more realistic it is to have subtle browns and blacks throughout the game, I want variety.

dark10x

Mama Smurf said:
Well the other shots make it look better regardless.

Retro better have variety in the looks of their worlds. I don't care how much more realistic it is to have subtle browns and blacks throughout the game, I want variety.

Almost every shot has been from the demo, though...

I don't think they'll disappoint...

Mama Smurf

I have some magazine scans saved of shots which haven't been released, and they don't all look from the same area (though I could be very wrong) and basically seem to be either brown or purple.

What's there looks absolutely gorgeous, I just hate it when games use the same look throughout (see Mario Sunshine).

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
I doubt those are official Nintendo press images. The MP2 screens released so far have been framebuffer grabs.

Does anyone have a high rez version of the artwork pic of Samus jumping, almost about to do a screw attack? Anybody know what I'm talking about? It's in the lastest Nintendo Power.

Top Bottom