• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New NeoGaf TOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
AstroLad said:
I guess this isn't a bad place to reiterate my demands for animated sigs (<2MB of course).

YAS.

148gahw.gif

"Remember who you are," -Mufasa; The Lion King 3D

NintendoFanUserbar.png

LinkinParkSignature2.jpg

CLICK HERE FOR MY XANGA PAGE

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Crumpet Trumpet said:
YAS.

148gahw.gif

"Remember who you are," -Mufasa; The Lion King 3D

NintendoFanUserbar.png
Hahah see that's a perfect example of how a sig can give posters a lot more distinctiveness and personality. But no, let's just keep looking at boring avatars and usernames that barely even help you tell users apart, because apparently certain mods think the First Amendment shouldn't apply to NeoGAF.

kehs

Banned
Crumpet Trumpet said:

You should know that, I will be taking this, as is, and using it at any forum that allows signatures from now on.*

*assuming Evilore licenses it out me at a fair rate

148gahw.gif

Copernicus said:
You should know that, I will be taking this, as is, and using it at any forum that allows signatures from now on.*

*assuming Evilore licenses it out me at a fair rate

148gahw.gif

That is truly a glorious sig. Evilore should allow sigs 1 day a year. It would be like GAF Carnival.

Emitan

AstroLad said:
The idea that people would use GAF without User CP + Subscriptions is hilarious to me every time I hear it. Do you guys type out your posts on T9 too?
Why would I use subs? I just keep tabs open.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
EviLore said:
I don't think the current version of the forum software supports that, actually, or I would have. When we update to the newer software in a few days, in order to get full search back and other features, I can go ahead and do that if it'll clarify things for people.

This is the real megaton.

Billychu said:
Why would I use subs? I just keep tabs open.
tabstabstabstabstabstabstabstabstabstabstabstabs
Oh god I'm drowning in them

Cruzader

Banned
I actually was never bothered by the updated ToS. But evillore should realize that alot of people at least on the gaming side, don't follow or believe in ToS/guidelines.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Seriously though, we need some way to make it so multiple people can edit the OP of threads.

Korey

Copernicus said:
It's a list of threads your posted in and/or manually subscribed.

You can have it notify you by email anytime a new post is made in that thread. You can also turn off the notifications and just use it as a list of threads.
AstroLad said:
The idea that people would use GAF without User CP + Subscriptions is hilarious to me every time I hear it. Do you guys type out your posts on T9 too?
I do have threads subscribed. I just find it a hassle to have to navigate to the subscriptions page when I basically am parked on OT. It'd be far more user friendly if those links were right there on Off Topic, say...as a personal sticky.

Smokey

AstroLad said:
Well I guess my point is that it's a bit ridiculous that at least long-time posters weren't able to negotiate these agreements individually. If a group of people were, then that supports my argument even more. Definitely some sort of "pay for play" program would have been very interesting and potentially led to even better content.

lol <3

Dead Man

Korey said:
I do have threads subscribed. I just find it a hassle to have to navigate to the subscriptions page when I basically am parked on OT. It'd be far more user friendly if those links were right there on Off Topic, say...as a personal sticky.
aSRP.png

FStop7

Banned
I would really like to see emoticons back. :lol was one of my favorite things about GAF when I first joined, as simple as it was. I know I could just hotlink it from elsewhere, but it's not the same.

Angry Fork

Are they bannable if you use them too much though? Why were they gotten rid of if people are just going to use ":lol" anyway even if it doesn't show the effect.

Emitan

Angry Fork said:
Are they bannable if you use them too much though? Why were they gotten rid of if people are just going to use ":lol" anyway even if it doesn't show the effect.
The reason I heard was so people wouldn't just quote someone and respond with
KuGsj.gif

But I can still do that and just say :lol so it seems a bit pointless.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
sprsk said:
Seriously though, we need some way to make it so multiple people can edit the OP of threads.

Don't think this is feasible whatsoever within the confines of vb (even with mods). Closest you can really get is being able to edit an entire subforum, I think. The OP of a thread is way too narrow a scope for a permissions structure.

Pakkidis

Aren't all of you breaking the TOS in this thread

E. No posts should be made regarding your opinion of another user's actions or behavior. You may not discuss the NeoGAF rules and regulations on the forum. Any and all discussions regarding these matters should be discussed by email only.

First rule of NeoGaf TOS

1) Do not talk about the TOS

sk3

Banned
How often is the forum software updated? It's always possible to customize and hack up the code. But that would prevent straight forward updates in the future.

We have a lot of highly skilled people here that would probably be willing to put in the time to freshen up one of their favorite websites. But that is perhaps opening a can of worms Evilore doesn't want to deal with.

Fatalah

AstroLad said:
Hahah see that's a perfect example of how a sig can give posters a lot more distinctiveness and personality. But no, let's just keep looking at boring avatars and usernames that barely even help you tell users apart, because apparently certain mods think the First Amendment shouldn't apply to NeoGAF.

The MySpace-ification of NeoGAF? Signatures would be a reason to leave this wonderful place behind.

jax (old)

Banned
well, the key thing about the TOS and how this rule is meant to be preventative against things like destructoid - well; you can fully read GAF as a guest; and that you means they didn't even read/agree to any TOS and as such; are not subjected to any sort of conditions. So; they can still grab and use the content as they see fit. If there is a front end agreement when you come to the forums; then maybe what Evillore has been saying might make some sense.

The implementation does affect people who do post arts+farts and the vaguaries of the wording means that as is; it reads like just about everything you write, post etc you give away the licensing right to - for perpetuity too. Its a bit sketchy.

Evillore's explanation makes some sense to me but in light of the fact is an open forum; I don't think it does much. Plus the fact that you don't have to be notified, or will ever know about it - well, we only found out once it hit the web visavis kotaku. Alarmist or not.

in application:re: kotaku+neogaf.

I thought it was lazy on their end to word dump a neogaf thread instead of doing their own editiorial. I mean, other places have done that before... And seeing how the article would be of much move value to kotaku; to save time and not pay a proper game writer

per that thread discussing this - no one was asked (duh - they don't have to or will be). But since then; no one has answered this question I asked -

"so kotaku can pick any thread they like to dump as an "editorial?"

Neogaf has some tremendous OTs which are extremely detailed and no doubt took hours to put together by the OPs. I just can't see any one having "rights" to repost it in full - say as an article on their site as it seems this could potentially go that way.

but yeah, TOS!

FStop7

Banned
EviLore said:
Don't think this is feasible whatsoever within the confines of vb (even with mods). Closest you can really get is being able to edit an entire subforum, I think. The OP of a thread is way too narrow a scope for a permissions structure.

A better way is to make Wikis. That's how we've done it elsewhere.

The only problem with that is they become frequently targeted by spammers.

Billychu said:
The reason I heard was so people wouldn't just quote someone and respond with
KuGsj.gif

But I can still do that and just say :lol so it seems a bit pointless.
: (

Now why did you go and get yourself banned over that?

We're getting search back?!?!?! OK that's worth losing any civil rights I may have had before.

Hell I'm willing to legally sign over ownership of my body, if that would bring smileys back.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I seriously don't understand the part about PMs... English isn't my first language. Can someone explain to me, please?

noah111

Still Alive
Why did Billy get banned for that? Did I miss something? Are we not allowed to use the laughing icon as an image file (I have the extension that does it)? Just want to be sure for the future..

[edit] Nevermind, didn't see the posts in context.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
EviLore said:
Can you make it so some topics can have "Wiki" posts? I think Cheap Ass gaming and Slick Deals does that.

Raistlin

So does this mean if I post a piece of artwork ... NeoGaf or anyone they transfer it to can then make money off of it and I have no grounds to stop them?

If so ... then what use is my original copyright other then not being sued for using the IP myself?

jaxword

Sentry said:
Why did Billy get banned for that? Did I miss something? Are we not allowed to use the laughing icon as an image file (I have the extension that does it)? Just want to be sure for the future..

Pretty sure Evilore doesn't like it when people just post LOL or a variation of that.

It's kind of white-noise and doesn't really contribute to discussions at all.

noah111

Still Alive
jaxword said:
Pretty sure Evilore doesn't like it when people just post LOL or a variation of that.

It's kind of white-noise and doesn't really contribute to discussions at all.
So, what about the extensions that automatically convert the old smiley laugh tag into the image? I sometimes post the
Code:
":lol"
because I assume much of GAF uses that extension as well, should I stop doing that?

Just trying to get the views on that smiley straight, is the extension not allowed or something? (i've never read any rules about it tbh, so forgive my ignorance)

Sentry said:
So, what about the extensions that automatically convert the old smiley laugh tag into the image? I sometimes post the
Code:
because I assume much of GAF uses that extension as well, should I stop doing that?

Just trying to get the views on that smiley straight, is the extension not allowed or something? (i've never read any rules about it tbh, so forgive my ignorance)
People still post :lol and don't get banned for it. And I use that extension, and I haven't been banned for it.

I would advise against ever posting just a ":lol" as a smartass response to someone's post though.

jaxword

Sentry said:
Code:

Well, I'm no mod, so I'm just offering advice, but Evilore removed the smiley because people were just making one-word replies (lol) that obviously got annoying. The code is still there.

Which seems reasonable to me. Why bother posting "lol" at all, does it really contribute? Seems sort of infantile.

kehs

Banned
Korey said:

That's Korey!™

Fusebox

Banned
Jax said:
I thought it was lazy on their end to word dump a neogaf thread instead of doing their own editiorial. I mean, other places have done that before... And seeing how the article would be of much move value to kotaku; to save time and not pay a proper game writer

per that thread discussing this - no one was asked (duh - they don't have to or will be). But since then; no one has answered this question I asked -

"so kotaku can pick any thread they like to dump as an "editorial?"

Neogaf has some tremendous OTs which are extremely detailed and no doubt took hours to put together by the OPs. I just can't see any one having "rights" to repost it in full - say as an article on their site as it seems this could potentially go that way.

but yeah, TOS!
I'd be pissed if I put effort into a good post for GAF and it ended up on fucking Kotaku of all places without anyone even asking me. When did Kotaku become an unbanned site anyway, they still seem as crap as ever.

Slavik81

tokkun said:
I would say that the difference between what is required to run the site and what is present in the language of the ToS is the ability of NeoGAF to sublicense and transfer their license to others. I am able to fairly anticipate the way material I post will be used and displayed on this site, but cannot anticipate how it would be used on any other site.

I already include a Creative Commons Attribution license embedded in the photographs I post on GAF. NeoGAF publishing or resizing the image within my post is in compliance with this license. If Kotaku comes along and wants to republish the image/photoshop it/whatever, they are allowed to do so as long as I get credit for the original work. Under the new ToS they can transfer the license to publish to a different website without the attribution in place.
NeoGAF doesn't have any pictures on it, aside from avatars. They're all just references to other sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom