• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New pictures of Pluto from NASA

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.nasa.gov/feature/new-pluto-images-from-nasa-s-new-horizons-it-s-complicated

nh-spherical-mosaic-9-10-15.jpg

More at the link

Linkyn

"I like that we live in a time where we can visit Pluto." - someone 500 years from now

Technically, you could visit it these days (or in a few decades, to be more accurate). It'd be a one-way trip, to be sure, but after that much time with practically nothing but empty space to look at, I'd say most people would be ready to stay.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Technically, you could visit it these days (or in a few decades, to be more accurate). It'd be a one-way trip, to be sure, but after that much time with practically nothing but empty space to look at, I'd say most people would be ready to stay.

faster than light travel bro

Gattsu25

Banned
http://www.nasa.gov/feature/new-pluto-images-from-nasa-s-new-horizons-it-s-complicated

nh-spherical-mosaic-9-10-15.jpg

This synthetic perspective view of Pluto, based on the latest high-resolution images to be downlinked from NASA’s New Horizons spacecraft, shows what you would see if you were approximately 1,100 miles (1,800 kilometers) above Pluto’s equatorial area, looking northeast over the dark, cratered, informally named Cthulhu Regio toward the bright, smooth, expanse of icy plains informally called Sputnik Planum. The entire expanse of terrain seen in this image is 1,100 miles (1,800 kilometers) across. The images were taken as New Horizons flew past Pluto on July 14, 2015, from a distance of 50,000 miles (80,000 kilometers).
Credits: NASA/Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory/Southwest Research Institute

nh-surface-features-9-11-15.jpg

Mosaic of high-resolution images of Pluto, sent back from NASA’s New Horizons spacecraft from Sept. 5 to 7, 2015. The image is dominated by the informally-named icy plain Sputnik Planum, the smooth, bright region across the center. This image also features a tremendous variety of other landscapes surrounding Sputnik. The smallest visible features are 0.5 miles (0.8 kilometers) in size, and the mosaic covers a region roughly 1,000 miles (1600 kilometers) wide. The image was taken as New Horizons flew past Pluto on July 14, 2015, from a distance of 50,000 miles (80,000 kilometers).
Credits: NASA/Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory/Southwest Research Institute

nh-chaos-region-9-10-15.jpg

In the center of this 300-mile (470-kilometer) wide image of Pluto from NASA’s New Horizons spacecraft is a large region of jumbled, broken terrain on the northwestern edge of the vast, icy plain informally called Sputnik Planum, to the right. The smallest visible features are 0.5 miles (0.8 kilometers) in size. This image was taken as New Horizons flew past Pluto on July 14, 2015, from a distance of 50,000 miles (80,000 kilometers).​

nh-dark-areas-9-10-15.jpg

This 220-mile (350-kilometer) wide view of Pluto from NASA’s New Horizons spacecraft illustrates the incredible diversity of surface reflectivities and geological landforms on the dwarf planet. The image includes dark, ancient heavily cratered terrain; bright, smooth geologically young terrain; assembled masses of mountains; and an enigmatic field of dark, aligned ridges that resemble dunes; its origin is under debate. The smallest visible features are 0.5 miles (0.8 kilometers) in size. This image was taken as New Horizons flew past Pluto on July 14, 2015, from a distance of 50,000 miles (80,000 kilometers).

nh-charon_9-10-15.jpg

This image of Pluto’s largest moon Charon, taken by NASA’s New Horizons spacecraft 10 hours before its closest approach to Pluto on July 14, 2015 from a distance of 290,000 miles (470,000 kilometers), is a recently downlinked, much higher quality version of a Charon image released on July 15. Charon, which is 750 miles (1,200 kilometers) in diameter, displays a surprisingly complex geological history, including tectonic fracturing; relatively smooth, fractured plains in the lower right; several enigmatic mountains surrounded by sunken terrain features on the right side; and heavily cratered regions in the center and upper left portion of the disk. There are also complex reflectivity patterns on Charon’s surface, including bright and dark crater rays, and the conspicuous dark north polar region at the top of the image. The smallest visible features are 2.9 miles 4.6 kilometers) in size.

nh-twilight_9-10-15.png

This image of Pluto from NASA’s New Horizons spacecraft, processed in two different ways, shows how Pluto’s bright, high-altitude atmospheric haze produces a twilight that softly illuminates the surface before sunrise and after sunset, allowing the sensitive cameras on New Horizons to see details in nighttime regions that would otherwise be invisible. The right-hand version of the image has been greatly brightened to bring out faint details of rugged haze-lit topography beyond Pluto’s terminator, which is the line separating day and night. The image was taken as New Horizons flew past Pluto on July 14, 2015, from a distance of 50,000 miles (80,000 kilometers).

nh-composite-haze-image-9-10-15.jpg

Two different versions of an image of Pluto’s haze layers, taken by New Horizons as it looked back at Pluto's dark side nearly 16 hours after close approach, from a distance of 480,000 miles (770,000 kilometers), at a phase angle of 166 degrees. Pluto's north is at the top, and the sun illuminates Pluto from the upper right. These images are much higher quality than the digitally compressed images of Pluto’s haze downlinked and released shortly after the July 14 encounter, and allow many new details to be seen. The left version has had only minor processing, while the right version has been specially processed to reveal a large number of discrete haze layers in the atmosphere. In the left version, faint surface details on the narrow sunlit crescent are seen through the haze in the upper right of Pluto’s disk, and subtle parallel streaks in the haze may be crepuscular rays- shadows cast on the haze by topography such as mountain ranges on Pluto, similar to the rays sometimes seen in the sky after the sun sets behind mountains on Earth.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Man, the reality of space discoveries are always so beyond my imagination. I seriously never imagined that Pluto would look like this. Amazing.

Ayumi

Fine, I'll ask: How on earth are we able to take photos (IN THAT QUALITY) of something so far away?

I need an advanced ELI5. ELI26?

My brain ate itself while trying to comprehend.

?oe?oe

Fine, I'll ask: How on earth are we able to take photos (IN THAT QUALITY) of something so far away?

The camera isn't shooting from Earth, it's coming from a probe. It's more crazy to think data is being sent from that far away to Earth, though.

zulux21

believe it or not with a playstation one processor lol

aka it's done with a probe that has a decent quality camera, and very low power specs not sure how it talks to earth though, very delayed waves of some sort I imagine.

big_z

anyone know if color data will be coming at some point? I know black and white gets priority due to bandwidth but it would be amazing to see this in real color.

besada

Banned
believe it or not with a playstation one processor lol

aka it's done with a probe that has a decent quality camera, and very low power specs not sure how it talks to earth though, very delayed waves of some sort I imagine.
It's transmitting via radio at 125 bytes a second. They have an 8 hour a day reception window, assuming they can get the antenna time, and each photo takes about 45 minutes to send.
anyone know if color data will be coming at some point? I know black and white gets priority due to bandwidth but it would be amazing to see this in real color.
The LORRI camera is monochromatic, unfortunately. But, they have another instrument called the Ralph telescope, which has a color CCD imager, so they can take color from the Ralph and use it for LORRI images. Like so:

http://www.space.com/30039-incredib...ortrait-created-from-multiple-pics-video.html
3zCmJFE.jpg

Ninja Dom

Why are all planets spherical? Why can't they be different shapes like in Super Mario Galaxy? Something to do with their rotation?

xenist

I WANT TO GO TO OTHER PLANETS! WHY CAN'T I?

Ugh, this sucks. Already my wanderlust is very strong, when I see stuff like that it just goes into overdrive.

Its a very spooky feeling looking at something thats supposed to be so far away

Its still out there just floating

Bravo mankind

KarmaCow

Why are all planets spherical? Why can't they be different shapes like in Super Mario Galaxy? Something to do with their rotation?

The spinning motion actually makes planets less spherical and more oblong. Gravity during the formation of the planets when they were more malleable, flattened things out on the surface. Look up videos of astronauts playing with water in orbit like on the ISS. You can see the smaller water droplets forming spheres as they coalesce due to their own gravity and surface tension.

besada

Banned
New Horizons is currently moving away from us at about 32,000 mph, and it's already about 32 AU from us.

It's headed into the Kuiper belt for a flyby of a KBO named PT1. It won't get there until 2019, if it makes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom