• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEW S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl Interview!

Deg

Banned
Played this at GS. Was pretty awesome. Only was availible in 8 player multiplayer at the show. Looked excellent and played well. Counter Strikish feel to it in many ways. Not surprised reading the interview. Many effects were missing from the demo making me think it wasnt the DX 9, 64 bit enhanced version.

http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=25073

bits of the interview

HomeLAN - How would you officially classify the gameplay for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.? Is it a first person shooter? Is it a RPG?

Oleg V. Yavorsky - It's a first person shooter game with many other touches, such as survival factor, item trade, NPC communication, freedom of actions and so on. So that effectively means for successful gaming the player will need to apply a bit more than straightforward shooting-he will sometimes have to be stealthy, frugal about ammunition and food, take care of restoring his energy through sleep, be helpful to dealers to get their friendly attitude and so on.

HomeLAN - How do players interact with the other NPCs in the zone who are going after the same artifacts?

Oleg V. Yavorsky - Typically they don't because there's a good deal of competition among stalkers in the Zone and everybody wants to be the first to bring the desired artifacts :). Provided the NPCs are friendly enough with you though, you can chat with them, trade items, get their help etc.

HomeLAN - There are rumors that there will be a fully DirectX9 version of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. in addition to the regular version. What can you tell us about the graphica features for this version of the game?

Oleg V. Yavorsky - We will ship both DX8 and DX9 versions of the game with the release. The DirectX 9 version of the game will provide a cutting-edge image on screen. This includes up-to 3 million polygons per frame, soft dynamic lighting, soft dynamic shadows cast by every object in real-time, extensive use of latest bump-mapping and shader technologies and much more. You can find more details about the engine specifications on www.stalker-game.com

HomeLAN - You also showed off multiplayer gameplay at E3 for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.. What plans can you now reveal for this portion of the game?

Oleg V. Yavorsky - We are very excited about the positive feedback on multiplayer so far. It should be said that the multiplayer component of the game is designed and balanced by professional cyber athletes from our GSC.Pro-Team guys. This year the team won the first place in Counter-Strike at WCG in Ukraine, so you can be sure the multiplayer will be done professionally. We plan to introduce several popular multiplayer modes (including Team DeathMatch and some original ones) and allow up to 32 players in a game. Players can also expect lots of support in keeping up and expanding the multilayer game, including a possibility for creating MODs to the game.

HomeLAN - Are there any plans for beta tests for the game before its release to stores?

Oleg V. Yavorsky - To give players a feel of the MP, we think of launching a multiplayer beta test sometime soon.

HomeLAN - Are there any plans for mod tools to be released for the game as well?

Oleg V. Yavorsky - Yes, as I said, we plan to release MOD tools, either simultaneously with the game or shortly afterwards.

Deg

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
I really hope that I can get into the STALKER beta...Anyone know what video card the game runs best on?

Make sure it s a DX9 card. There will be extra stuff for AMD 64bit users. The DX8 version was impressive anyway!

the level i played was like these pictures(no DX9 from the looks of these pics). It didnt have bump mapping or anything but the texture memory required must be extremely high! I liked the rotten urban jungle atmosphere.

18_aug_2003_stalker-screen-1.jpg

540331_20040405_screen008.jpg

540331_20040129_screen006.jpg

540331_20040129_screen001.jpg

DX9 effects:

stalkershadowof_scrn24631.jpg

540331_20040505_screen011.jpg

540331_20040528_screen002.jpg

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
This game is starting to age. I'm not wow'd by it graphically (in shots) like I was a year ago...

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
This game has somehow taken Fable's place as my "most anticipated game for its open-endedness".

Does anyone know how story/character-driven STALKER is supposed to be?

Vashu

I believe you are simply a mercenary, trying to make his money in the mutated world of the chernobyl disaster. And lucky me, I might get an AMD 64 Bit computer, love how the prices are going down :)

Anyway, this game sure looks interesting to me, I kinda like the freaky style they use.

Deg

Banned
There's alot about the story on the game website's stoey section. background, chronology, Q&A etc. Game will have several endings and a non linear story line.

http://www.stalker-game.com/index_eng.html

Genre: Survival FPS/RPG
Release Date: 1Q 2005
Publisher: THQ
"...We rejected the linear level-to-level passage in favour of such freedom of action and movement as seen in 'Elite', 'Daggerfall' and 'Fallout'. Players will travel an immense territory of a zone stretching for 30 square kilometers, explore it, gain money and experience, move along a free "non-stiff" story line towards the game final..."

Sounds good. Hope they pull it off. We could do with another Far Cry like surprise. Multiplayer is already feeling great but they are CS nuts afterall :p

gamespot have their impressions up for the demo with movies. They only played 4 player for some reason.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/stalker/preview_6105647.html

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
i'll be very impessed if the final product is as non-linear as the developer's claim. we've already seen with fable that all the money in the world can't save poor design.

Top Bottom