• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Scribes on Rare's site

Prine

Banned
AniHawk said:
Because the "talent" remaining created GBTG, B-K:GR, and Star Fox Adventures.

SFA, GBTG was made under Nintendo regime. People start talking about the loss of talent when MS bought them with the supposed mass exodus of "talent"

AniHawk

Prine said:
SFA, GBTG were made under Nintendo regime. People start talking about the loss of talent when MS bought them with the supposed mass exodus of "talent"

Well I think the talent has been leaving them since SFA (and before). They've been on a downward spiral ever since DK64 (Hell- even JFG. I love the game but the collectathon was fucking unnecessary). Perfect Dark was pretty good, but Banjo-Tooie was a step down from the original. Then you have Mickey's Speedway USA which was bad, and BFD was a great game, but I was really playing for the humor.

SFA was a decent game, and the multi in Conker Live and Reloaded wasn't too impressive, I felt.

jarrod

Banned
Hmmm... how about I bring back my EAD Vs Rare lists!! :)

Since the parnership started (1994)...

RAREWARE

-Donkey Kong Country (SNES) 1994
-Killer Instinct (AC) 1994

-Donkey Kong Land (GB) 1995
-Killer Instinct (SNES) 1995
-Killer Instinct (GB) 1995
-Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES) 1995

-Killer Instinct 2 (AC) 1996
-Ken Griffy Jr's Winning Run (SNES) 1996
-Donkey Kong Land 2 (GB) 1996
-Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie's Double Trouble (SNES) 1996
-Killer Instinct Gold (N64) 1996

-Blast Corps (N64) 1997
-Goldeneye 007 (N64) 1997
-Donkey Kong Land 3 (GB) 1997

-Banjo-Kazooie (N64) 1998

-Conker's Pocket Tales (GBC) 1999
-Jet Force Gemini (N64) 1999
-Donkey Kong 64 (N64) 1999
-Mickey's Racing Adventure (GBC) 1999

-Perfect Dark (N64) 2000
-Donkey Kong Country (GBC) 2000
-Mickey's Speedway USA (N64) 2000
-Banjo-Tooie (N64) 2000

-Mickey's Speedway USA (GBC) 2001
-Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64) 2001

-Star Fox Advantures (GC) 2002

-Donkey Kong Country (GBA) 2003
-Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge (GBA) 2003
-Grabbed by the Ghoulies (XB) 2003

-Sabre Wulf (GBA) 2004
-Donkey Kong Country 2 (GBA) 2004

-Banjo Pilot (GBA) 2005
-Kameo: Elements of Power (XB) 2005
-Conker: Live & Reloaded (XB) 2005
-It's Mr Pants! (GBA) 2005

NINTENDO EAD

-Donkey Kong (GB) 1994
-Stunt Race FX (SNES) 1994

-Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES) 1995

-Super Mario 64 (N64) 1996
-Mole Mania (GB) 1996
-Wave Race 64: Kawaski JetSki (N64) 1996
-Marvelous: Mouhitotsu no Takarajima (SNES) 1996
-Mario Kart 64 (N64) 1996

-Star Fox 64 (N64) 1997
-Yoshi Story (N64) 1997

-F-Zero X (N64) 1998
-Pokémon Stadium JP (N64) 1998
-The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) 1998

-Pokémon Stadium (N64) 1999
-Mario Artist: Paint Studio (64DD) 1999

-Mario Artist: Talent Studio (64DD) 2000
-The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64) 2000
-F-Zero X Expansion Kit (64DD) 2000
-Mario Artist: Communication Kit (64DD) 2000
-Mario Artist: Polygon Studio (64DD) 2000
-Pokémon Stadium 2 (N64) 2000

-Doubutsu no Mori (N64) 2001
-Luigi's Mansion (GC) 2001
-Pikmin (GC) 2001
-Animal Crossing (GC) 2001

-Doshin the Giant (GC) 2002
-Super Mario Sunshine (GC) 2002
-The Legegnd of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GC) 2002

-Pokémon Box: Ruby & Sapphire (GC) 2003
-Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (GC) 2003

-The Legend of Zelda: Four Sword Adventures (GC) 2004
-Pikmin 2 (GC) 2004
-Super Mario 64 DS (DS) 2004
-Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat (GC) 2004

-Animal Crossing (DS) 2005
-Yoshi's Touch & Go (DS) 2005
-Puppy Times (DS) 2005
-Mario Kart DS (DS) 2005
-The Legend of Zelda (GC) 2005

...did I miss anything? I'm a little unsure of the SFC BS games EAD probably did.... Zelda 1? Wrecking Crew '98? What?

I also left out EAD's emu projects (Famicom Mini, Zelda Collector's Edition, etc) and produced games (Kururin, Napoleon, etc).

Kon Tiki

Banned
4) As you're allowed to develop for the GBA, will you be developing for the Nintendo DS and/or the Sony PSP?

4) Not this again. Alright, well, I'd have thought one was more likely than the other, but on the other hand I'm not aware of any sealed deals, so anything I say is pure speculation (and therefore a world exclusive 100% confirmed fact front page story on SPOnG).

ooo nice ownage.

nice scribes. Looking foreward to conker and others..

nbot + xbot = shittest terms ever. Its a cheap way to dismiss one another when you shouldn't even be arguing in the first place.

jarrod

Banned
Redbeard said:
Tighter mechanics and balance? You've got to be kidding. Those are the main areas in which MK64 fell flat on it's face. The horrible sprite racers gave no sense of weight or inertia, you just sort of zipped all over the tracks like it was a mode-7 game that happened to be using polygons. Then there's the crappy cheating AI, uninspired track design, etc... I thought it was a pretty lousy game overall.
DKR had rubberband AI also and Mario Kart's controls and powerslide mechanics were ace, easily tighter than DKR. MK64's tracks/physics were nothing like mode 7 racers either, play Wario Stadium again.

Redbeard said:
Don't know what to say about Mario 64 and Banjo. I think Banjo one-upped Mario in almost every way, and where it didn't they were easily on par.
Let's see if I can translate.... "every way" means "visuals only" and "on par" means "notably sloppy in comparison"? Am I close? ;)

Solid

MrparisSM said:
DKR > MK64

Goldeneye + Perfect Dark

Banjo Kazooie + DK64

SFA > Z:WW

What's not to like about RARE?!??
I actually agree with this, except DKR being better then MK.

Most of what could be considered the "talented" rare people are still there (KI, DK-ACM, PD creators) if you like those particular games...seavor, edmonds, botwood, mayles, schunemann not to mention the musicians. Really the main people who left were from the GE team a while back.

EDIT - happy now :)

jarrod

Banned
celestial body said:
Most of what could be considered the "talented" rare people are still there (KI, DK, PD creators) if you like those particular games...seavor, edmonds, botwood, mayles, schunemann not to mention the musicians. Really the main people who left were from the GE team a while back.
Er, the DK creator is still with Nintendo last I checked. ;)

And jesus christ people, the worst Zelda game is still leagues better than SFA... what's wrong with you!! :/

Prine

Banned
celestial body said:
Most of what could be considered the "talented" rare people are still there (KI, DK-ACM, PD creators) if you like those particular games...seavor, edmonds, botwood, mayles, schunemann not to mention the musicians. Really the main people who left were from the GE team a while back.

EDIT - happy now :)

You forget Stampers :D

And David Wise rocks!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
jarrod said:
And jesus christ people, the worst Zelda game is still leagues better than SFA... what's wrong with you!! :/
Seriously... how can anyone prefer SFA to Wind Waker? SFA was awful. Really awful. I felt ripped off and I only spent $10. Just an ugly mess of a game.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
SFA is an amazing looking game.... the first five minutes I played, I was convinced Rare had created yet another amazing title...

Twenty-three random items later, reality set it.

Mario64 > Banjo
seriously, this is a case of way more polish.. and i mean WAY MORE POLISH... you play Mario64 right now and it still shines...

DKR > MK64
better in single, multi, level design, physics, game balance, everything except it doesnt have mario in it (OH NO!)

Mr Gump

Banned
Prine said:
How come, whenever Rare loses people its "talent" but the ones that remain are nobodys?

Gotta love nbot logic
Talent is just a fancy word for personnel in this instance.

Take a deep breath.

Joe

who cares how much they spent i just fail to see how having exclusive rights to a company like rare considering the games they have made and the properties they own is a bad thing?

We can exclusively reveal today that sources placed at the highest levels have confirmed to us that Microsoft is poised to buy UK-based developer Rare.

According to reports, Microsoft is poised to make a bid for Rare in the coming months, to the tune of £350 million for 100% of its stock.

Of course, at this point in time, no official comment of any kind is available. We’ll keep you updated as this progresses and again, remember where you read it first.

Maybe it's just poor wording on your part, but those three lines seem to contradict each other.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Oh give me a break.
SPOnG broke that M$ was buying Rare before anyone had even heard the slightest whisper and it stands as one of the biggest stories in the industry's recent history. The impact of it at the time was massive. If you're nice, I'll tell you the rather funny tale of how we *blundered* into it. It involves cocktails, sneakery and big mouth execs with hands full of crepes! :)

ninge

Quite how:

4) Not this again. Alright, well, I'd have thought one was more likely than the other, but on the other hand I'm not aware of any sealed deals, so anything I say is pure speculation (and therefore a world exclusive 100% confirmed fact front page story on SPOnG).

can be interpreted as reffering to stories that SPOnG actually got right is beyond me but it was nice try :)

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Alf-Life said:
Yeah, I think it was probably in reference to those recent 'OMG half the staff has walked out' rumours. :)
Junior Member tag-team shame!
There have been considerable staff walk-outs at Rare. I know this. I was told directly by someone who works there. Any dev studio in the UK will be able to confirm. Seems everyone has an ex-Rare staffer on the books these days.

Anyway, this will be my last post for a week or so here. I'm off to Seattle to see a girl. I might (will probably) come back a married man. Please be nice to us while I'm away. Like, it could be a wedding present for me!

Folder said:
Junior Member tag-team shame!
There have been considerable staff walk-outs at Rare. I know this. I was told directly by someone who works there. Any dev studio in the UK will be able to confirm. Seems everyone has an ex-Rare staffer on the books these days.

Anyway, this will be my last post for a week or so here. I'm off to Seattle to see a girl. I might (will probably) come back a married man. Please be nice to us while I'm away. Like, it could be a wedding present for me!

there goes our passionate love/hate affair. Hope you land the girl! :D and breed :D

Anyhow..yeah, the RARE staff walkout is legendary - people complain about the two head bosses there and how they are up themselves and make working at Rare horrid (like how only their kids; people they like there are entitled to the childcare that is there..etc). Nasty stuff. They are also the only/main art/game house to have had an ad in every issue of 3d world (for staff..etc) ever.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
TheGreenGiant said:
there goes our passionate love/hate affair. Hope you land the girl! :D and breed :D
Cheers mate. Might not breed. Will practice a lot though.

ninge

Heh - I'm hardly junior.. i just don't post much!

I loved rare back in the day and feel sorry for the state they are in now (even tho they turned me down for a job about 12 years ago - bastards). I'm also fully aware that SPOnG is much better than it used to be - i just found it funny that a company that's floundering around in the dark trying to find an identity as much as rare is right now still had the balls to poke fun at all the "rumours" that keep appearing as fact :)

If the best defence you can come up with is to call me a junior member or claim they meant the real stories (which was clearly not the case) then that's just a little bit sad.. and just makes SPOnG look sillier.

I'd let these little digs from annonimous forum posters go, admit that SPOnG was shite in the past whenever someone questions it's integraty and just keep on reminding anyone that will listen that it's getting better by the day. You might even get some respect that way :)

edit: removed my life story

edit 2: good luck with the girl - and making SPOnG more respectable! hehe

edit 3: and being from a dev studio in the UK i can confirm that people have walked out of rare for the past 10 years and the recent walkouts are neither large or anything interesting

Top Bottom