• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Starcraft developer

Swingin' Ape Studios, of Metal Arms: Glitch in the System fame, has been appointed by Blizzard to henceforth develop StarCraft: Ghost, the oft delayed third-person action / adventure adaptation of Blizzard's acclaimed RTS franchise.

"Not only will Swingin' Ape first finish development on StarCraft: Ghost, the agreement states that Swingin' Ape will in the future collaboratively develop multi-platform titles with Blizzard based off Blizzard licenses. This could mean more Diablo, Warcraft, and StarCraft for all platforms."

http://cube.ign.com/articles/528/528920p1.html

Could this also mean Diablo will come soon to consoles?

Rhage

How's that bad? Metal Arms was good stuff and underappreciated (real poor sales until the big drop, at least). Nice to see them get their comeuppance!

Meier

Great to hear. The game was shit at E3.. here's to hoping they can improve it in a timely manner.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Isn't this good news? Swingin Apes was like a no-name developer before Metal Arms...now they're working on a Blizzard game? That's major stuff

Woo for Swingin Apes! Metal Arms rox

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
No, that was Nihilistic's doing, who are off the project as announced weeks ago. Blizzard started doing some evalutions for a new developer and they picked Swinging Ape

stonedwal

+1

The videos that came out around E3 time were pretty underwhelming. This should at least ensure the game is of above average quality.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
This is really good news if you ask me. Just look at how UNJANKY Metal Arms is compared to just about anything out there. And it's great to see Swingin' Ape get some good work after getting shafted with Arms...

Makes me wonder what Nihilistic is up to these days. I still remembering visiting them not too long ago in Fennec's mini-van of love.

----

http://chespace.1up.com

Sho Nuff

Banned
I wonder how much they'll have to redo from scratch. It's not like entire codebases can be easily swapped across totally separate teams. :(

BuddyC

Sho Nuff said:
I wonder how much they'll have to redo from scratch. It's not like entire codebases can be easily swapped across totally separate teams. :(

Kinda my thoughts. It'll be interesting to see how much is retained.

Say no to Diablo on consoles!

Glad to hear they're moving to a more competent developer, though, even if it means we won't see the game until 2007.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Bigger Question is does Swinging Ape own Metal Arms? Hope so cause then we'll probably see MA2 if Blizzard is happy with the coding of Ghost.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
****fits of girlish laughter****

glitch.gif

Suerte

Blizzard Entertainment has announced that development studio Swingin' Ape is to take over the completion of StarCraft: Ghost, following the end of original developer Nihilistic's involvement with the project last month.

Swingin' Ape was formed by a number of Midway employees who left the firm after completing work on Hydro Thunder, and recently delivered original title Metal Arms: A Glitch In The System for Vivendi Universal Games.

The company's deal with Blizzard is believed to extend beyond the StarCraft: Ghost work, with the official announcement this morning alluding to collaboration on future multi-platform projects, although no details have been announced as yet.

Last month, Blizzard admitted that StarCraft: Ghost, which was originally unveiled at the Tokyo Games Show in September 2002, would be pushed back to a 2005 release date in order to ensure that the game met the company's quality standards.

At the same time, developer Nihilistic announced that it was no longer involved with the project, and was preparing to move on to work on a new title - leaving StarCraft: Ghost delayed and apparently without a developer, a situation now resolved by the appointment of Swingin' Ape.

"The team at Swingin' Ape Studios is a very talented group of developers with a proven ability to deliver extraordinary games," according to Blizzard president and co-founder Mike Morhaime. "We're confident that this partnership will result in titles that achieve the level of quality that players have come to expect from Blizzard products."

gi.biz

Metal Arms was in my Top 3 from last year!

Now I'm certain that not only will Starcraft:Ghost turn out great, but the Apes will get some well deserved praise and acclaim for fixing the drek that was at E3.

Go Apes!

Congrats Steve and Keith!!!

Top Bottom