• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sturgill Simpson Album - "A Sailor's Guide To Earth" To Drop Summer 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

Sturgill Simpson conducted a rare and exclusive 3-minute interview on Beats 1 Radio with Zane Lowe, and announced his upcoming 3rd studio solo album A Sailor’s Guide to Earth. Sturgill also played a new song as part of the interview called “Brace For Impact,” and unveiled the official artwork for the album. However he did not announce a release date for the album as of yet, but it is expected to hit the streets in or around June according to previous reports.

“Well I approached the last record when it was finished, I kind of had this feeling that it might possibly destroy my career, and it did just the opposite,” Sturgill says in the interview. “So I figured if anything I had to sort of take the same fearlessness into the studio on this one as well. But really, there’s nothing intentional, it’s just a representation of where my heart and where my head were at the time when we went into the studio.”

As for what fans can expect from the new record, Sturgill says, “Like I’ve always said, I wanted to express a lot of other influences that are outside of country music, that I think there’s a lot of room to explore, in certain terms of sonic templates in the genre. If there was any intentional approach, I wanted to reverse engineer the songcraft. Country music especially can get very formulaic. You know, you have to have your verses and a bridge and a chorus, and a lot of the songs are written as just plain and simple poetry on the road. Then I decided I was going to frame those poems to music while in the studio.”

As for if the album will be a country record or not, Sturgill says,

“If you take a chance, and try to progess a little bit, which for me is what it’s all about you know. I had already made ‘Metamodern [Sounds in Country Music]’ so I didn’t want to make another psychedelic country record. But I’ve said it before: As soon as I open my mouth, it’s always going to be a country record … A lot of this record came from me figuring out my place in that world while it was all happening because it was such a sudden and intense transition around the same time that my son was born. I just wanted to do something really beautiful for him.”

No official track list has been released yet for the album, but some other track names linked to the album include “Sea Stories, “Call To Arms,” and “Keep It Between The Lines.”

As far as when we can expect the new album, the Rockslide Festival in Denmark, where Sturgill is scheduled to perform in late June, early July says Sturgill’s new album “will land in the summer of 2016, ” and in January Sturgill told GQ, “I don’t want to put it out just yet, because I know I’m just going to have to turn around and do what I just did all over again. Quite honestly, I need about six months at home with my family. And hopefully, instead of being out on the road, I’ll be doing what’s-next-what’s-next, you know? For me it’s all about being in the moment and having freedom.” Cross referencing the info from GQ and Rockslide would seem to put a pretty good estimate of June for the new record.

As Sturgill Simpson fans wait for new music and more info on the upcoming album, they have already been delivered another new song. “Sugar Daddy” was selected as the theme song for HBO’s new series Vinyl, and was released in February as part of the soundtrack. No official word on if “Sugar Daddy” will be a part of Sturgill’s new album or not.

Apparently Sturgill Simpson produced this album himself, without Dave Cobb. I haven't been able to listen to the single yet and will probably wait for the youtube link to do so.

For anyone that wants to hear it, there is a link to the interview at the bottom here:

http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/sturgill-simpson-announces-new-album-a-sailors-guide-to-earth/

A scan of the artwork from Apple Music:

sailors-guide-to-earth-001.jpg

Sturgill is one of my favorites and I always look forward to something new.

Kaladin

Update:

Brace For Impact (Live A Little)
is out there, album pre-orders are up and the release date is April 15th, 2016....a bit earlier than expected.

sturgill-simpson-a-sailors-guide-to-earth-002.jpg

Welcome to Earth (Pollywog)
Breakers Roar
Keep It Between the Lines
Sea Stories
In Bloom
Brace for Impact (Live a Little)
All Around You
Oh Sarah
Call to Arms

Really digging the sound of the new single. Can't wait to hear more. Oh Sarah is a track from his old band Sunday Valley. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfO6je6kDBI

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
That's cool. Sturgill Simpson is awesome. Look forward to it.

Any other good country that has come out lately or coming out soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom