• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 6 |OT| Not afraid of water

The_hunter

Game looks fun, blasting bugs and the physics causing the bodies to ragdoll. How big are the levels here, do I have to run around big spaces a lot?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Game looks fun, blasting bugs and the physics causing the bodies to ragdoll. How big are the levels here, do I have to run around big spaces a lot?
Stages are BIG, but even if you have to walk a lot you'll be fighting stuff every few steps.

There's also vehicles of all kinds, and two of the four classes available move very fast and one even flies.

MiguelItUp

Great OT man! Awesome to see!

I will say, as much as I personally don't really care, it's a shame to see the whole Epic Games account thing, also feels incredibly unnecessary. I mean, that EASILY could've been done without using EGS, but I'm sure it's much like you said, they were probably bribed or something. The games have done very well on Steam, so, it is pretty silly to see this.

I LOVE the EDF games, but I'll probably wait for a price drop before I bite.

Kacho

Gold Member
Great OT man! Awesome to see!

I will say, as much as I personally don't really care, it's a shame to see the whole Epic Games account thing, also feels incredibly unnecessary. I mean, that EASILY could've been done without using EGS, but I'm sure it's much like you said, they were probably bribed or something. The games have done very well on Steam, so, it is pretty silly to see this.

I LOVE the EDF games, but I'll probably wait for a price drop before I bite.
Their reasoning makes sense for cross-play. It was likely the easiest, most cost effective way to implement that feature. I’d be shocked if they did a 180 on that.

MiguelItUp

Their reasoning makes sense for cross-play. It was likely the easiest, most cost effective way to implement that feature. I’d be shocked if they did a 180 on that.
I don't disagree, but there are definitely other cost efficient avenues they could've made outside of using EGS. But hey, can't hate on them for anything that seems the easiest or offers anything to them.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
So all the drama aside... anyone playikg the game? What do you think?

I'm about 20 missions in, and so far I'd say it's quite an upgrade from EDF5 when it comes to mission design, plus the new enemies so far are all pretty cool.

Kacho

Gold Member

I'm about 20 missions in, and so far I'd say it's quite an upgrade from EDF5 when it comes to mission design, plus the new enemies so far are all pretty cool.
Gets me hype! Last thing I need is another game in the rotation, but fuck it. Gonna cop after work and play on my Steam Deck.

TintoConCasera

Was actually thinking of grabbing this, but might just grab EDF 5 instead as it's a lot cheaper looks like fun still. Anyone vouch for it?

Oh and EDF 5 doesn't require Epic...
EDF5 is amazing, and 6 follows the story directly so it might be better to start with 5.

I was playing it back in January and never had any trouble finding people to play with.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Are people positive opinions in here based on single player or multyplayer?

Because reading around it seems like single player could become boring pretty fast, is it a matter of lack of enemy variety or what else?

GymWolf

Gold Member
What makes you think that? Imo it's not the case.

Just like Monster Hunter, EDF is great both on single and in multiplayer.
if i buy the game on steam, do i need to keep the epic store open in the background or the game just check if i have an epic account and then keep only steam open? (i'm kinda anal about having any shit in the background when i play)

Should i just buy the game in the epic store directly?

TintoConCasera

if i buy the game on steam, do i need to keep the epic store open in the background or the game just check if i have an epic account and then keep only steam open? (i'm kinda anal about having any shit in the background when i play)

I'd recommend starting out with 5 unless you really want to have a lot of people playing on multi. Not just because of the epic store stuff, but because 6 assumes you have played 5.

That said, I could swear the egs client isn't open while the game is running. The login is done in-game and it's only to connect to the servers when accessing multiplayer.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'd recommend starting out with 5 unless you really want to have a lot of people playing on multi. Not just because of the epic store stuff, but because 6 assumes you have played 5.

That said, I could swear the egs client isn't open while the game is running. The login is done in-game and it's only to connect to the servers when accessing multiplayer.
I usually prefer to play the last and most perfected episode of a long saga of games (more weapons, more enemy variety, more QOL etc.) so i'm probably gonna buy 6, also my guess i that the story in these games is just kind of an excuse to kill stuff all the time (like monster hunter) :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

on mission 11 so far, new enemy types are fun and since I main Air Raider the new drone option is cool, some good improvements and really fun so far

TintoConCasera

I usually prefer to play the last and most perfected episode of a long saga of games (more weapons, more enemy variety, more QOL etc.) so i'm probably gonna buy 6, also my guess i that the story in these games is just kind of an excuse to kill stuff all the time (like monster hunter) :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
heh, yeah it's true that the story is mostly reasons to kill things. Still, read something about 5's, it'll give you context about what's going on and there are a few important details.

Longcat

The EGS store is not installed. When you start the game it installs something called Epic Online Services to C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\Epic Online Services\ that acts as a Windows service. It runs when you start the game and unloads when you quit.

GymWolf

Gold Member
The EGS store is not installed. When you start the game it installs something called Epic Online Services to C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\Epic Online Services\ that acts as a Windows service. It runs when you start the game and unloads when you quit.
I already have the egs store installed on my pc, not sure if it change something.

bender

What time is it?
Isn't this basically just a low budget Helldivers 2 at this point?

c1edb990722721a26637ebd44256c2c2.gif

Longcat

I already have the egs store installed on my pc, not sure if it change something.
I read that some people had trouble with the game because EDFs version of Epic Online Services was different from the one they already had installed on their system or something to that effect, but you can apparently fix it by installing things in a certain order or verifying files or something. Don't know if it's widespread, or if some people just have fucked up PCs.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I read that some people had trouble with the game because EDFs version of Epic Online Services was different from the one they already had installed on their system or something to that effect, but you can apparently fix it by installing things in a certain order or verifying files or something. Don't know if it's widespread, or if some people just have fucked up their systems.
I mean...i could just buy the game in the epic store, it's the same price and there are no cheap key available for the steam version, so...

Even if the epic store vers has worse performances, i guess that my 4080\13600k are enough for 4k60 anyway...the game looks pretty...undemanding to put it mildly :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Longcat

I mean...i could just buy the game in the epic store, it's the same price and there are no cheap key available for the steam version, so...

Even if the epic store vers has worse performances, i guess that my 4080\13600k are enough for 4k60 anyway...the game looks pretty...undemanding to put it mildly :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
If you are a Humble subscriber you can save a few bucks on a Steam key. And yes, I'm pretty confident that if you run into ANY performance problems it'll be due to the engine itself :p

Last edited:

Neolombax

I've been trying to find how different this is compared to 5. Apart from the class changes, what other upgrades are there? I've been thinking of getting this or Megaton Musashi.

TintoConCasera

I've been trying to find how different this is compared to 5. Apart from the class changes, what other upgrades are there? I've been thinking of getting this or Megaton Musashi.
Class changes, new enemies, new environments and maps, new weapons and I'd say that's it.
Oh and this time the singleplayer progression is tied to the multiplayer progression.

But I think that's it.

TintoConCasera

On mission 26 and the story is getting interesting already!

On the downside, the new EDF anthem fucking sucks, or at least the ranger sings it as if he was about to fall asleep. :goog_relieved:

Did they add any new classes? Its been the same 4 since Edf 2025 (4.1).

Is this cross gen, it really looks it. I still have to beat EDF5 and World Brothers to beat, so will probably get this when its on sale for ps5.

Really wish a proper EDF was on Switch, even a port of 4.1 would be fine. 2017 was on vita and world brothers is on switch, but no proper edf. So strange.

EDF is really fun. The one game I got my wife to play co-op with outside of tetris and mario party. She hates bugs, with a passion. That's all it took.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Did they add any new classes? Its been the same 4 since Edf 2025 (4.1).
Nah, same old 4. They've changed some stuff tho. For example, the Ranger now has a dedicated slot and button for grenades.

Is this cross gen, it really looks it. I still have to beat EDF5 and World Brothers to beat, so will probably get this when its on sale for ps5.
Yeah it's on PS4 too. I'd really recommend playing and beating 5 before playing 6, makes the experience and story much more enjoyable.

Really wish a proper EDF was on Switch, even a port of 4.1 would be fine. 2017 was on vita and world brothers is on switch, but no proper edf. So strange.
Maybe it's because of CPU limitations? Dunno, Sandlot is a small dev so maybe optimizing the engine for the Switch isn't worth the hassle.

CamHostage

I watched some more footage and i kinda wanna try it.
I've read enough posts from GymWolf to know that you will not like it. It does not have deep combat systems or rich skill trees or intelligent AI coordination; EDF is a dumb-ass game with big-ass explosions, and you end up surprisingly addicted to it if you take it for what it is. (And now, EDF has added in a "framerate"!)

I'm not throwing you off the game to harsh the thread, you can do what you want and it's been good to have this thread address the qualities of interest in the series, just please don't come back here to harsh on it if you don't like it. EDF's gonna EDF.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I've read enough posts from GymWolf to know that you will not like it. It does not have deep combat systems or rich skill trees or intelligent AI coordination; EDF is a dumb-ass game with big-ass explosions, and you end up surprisingly addicted to it if you take it for what it is. (And now, EDF has added in a "framerate"!)

I'm not throwing you off the game to harsh the thread, you can do what you want and it's been good to have this thread address the qualities of interest in the series, just please don't come back here to harsh on it if you don't like it. EDF's gonna EDF.
Yeah i'm still watching footage to decide, i'm very uncertain about it.

It looks so messy and kinda repetitive at times, it's also almost at full price and that doesn't help.

I'm greatful for the advice dude.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Yeah i'm still watching footage to decide, i'm very uncertain about it.

It looks so messy and kinda repetitive at times, it's also almost at full price and that doesn't help.

I'm greatful for the advice dude.

I can see the pricing argument giving the history of these titles (Simple 2000 budget titles). The games have a lot of charm thanks to their budget nature (funny dialog, hilarious physics). I'm not sure the Musou comparisons are apt, at least I can't stand those games yet EDF tickles the correct receptors in my processing unit. I think it compares more favorably to Diablo in progression and difficulty curve. Much like Diablo, you gear can make you feel under, on, or over leveled for the given difficulty. Mission design, enemy types, character class and load out also adds a bit of a wave form to your power level/difficulty. I'd never say it is incredibly deep, but all the variables do add variety and some strategy. classes can be simple (soldier) or fairly complex (wing diver). They all have a unique feel which again helps break up the monotony.

TintoConCasera

Really agree with bender bender 's post.

Imo the game isn't "dumb" at all. The way you approach a mission is very important, from the loadout you carry, to the tactics you take during the mission itself.

It's not all just "kill dumb bugs until it's done". Some enemies will take cover, flank you and fuck you up. You also need some guerrilla tactics during some missions, like smart priorization of objectives or picking the best possible route.

Mossybrew

The way you approach a mission is very important, from the loadout you carry, to the tactics you take during the mission itself.
Yeah, especially as you start going up in difficulty, each level can become kind of a puzzle which you can solve with the right weapons and tactics. With so many weapons combinations to choose from, it can be a lot of fun just trying different approaches to different scenarios.

TintoConCasera

I'm hooked to this game, just yesterday I went from mission 62 to 92. Wanted to keep playing but had to stop myself. :goog_relieved:

The story is very cool so far, 5's was pretty standard but this one has me wondering what the hell is going to happen next.

Also, game seems much longer than EDF5? At least judging from the % of completion, it must have like 150 or so missions. Guess that explains why they decided to tie singleplayer and multiplayer progression, otherwise the game would be just too damn long lol.

Yeah, especially as you start going up in difficulty, each level can become kind of a puzzle which you can solve with the right weapons and tactics. With so many weapons combinations to choose from, it can be a lot of fun just trying different approaches to different scenarios.
A puzzle, that's a great way to put it!

I hit a wall at around mission 80 or so, had to not just optimize my gear but also take the terrain into account and plan a route accordingly because I was getting raped by an horde of flame-throwing androids.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Earth Defense Force 6 reviewed by Travis Northup on PlayStation 4 and 5, also available on PC.

Earth Defense Force 6 is yet another riotous entry in one of the most ridiculous and corny series ever to make very poor use of our fancy gaming hardware. It looks at least a decade out of date, is absolutely dripping with plot holes and awful voice acting, and has some of the silliest combat I’ve seen in a long time – but all of that works to its credit, coming together as a game I’ve happily lost dozens of hours of my life to while giggling like an idiot. Not all of its rough edges add to its charm, though, and an overly long campaign filled with repetitive levels and some irritating design choices definitely work against it. But those things are pretty easy to forgive when you accidentally blow your friends up with a rocket launcher that sends giant ants sailing into the air and skyscrapers crumbling into rubble.

bender

What time is it?
Hit 60% completion by finishing the campaign on hard for all four classes. I played mostly in co-op and my buddy insisted on playing on hard difficulty even if I think that is the wrong way to approach the game. There are some generally difficult levels going this route and online only makes them worse. I did try to catch up all of the classes to my progress and I was never more than ten or so missions behind on any class. I really love the mobility and plasma spears of the Wing Diver and the Solider, even being a bit meat-and-potatoes, will always have a soft sport in my heart since he was the only class in EDF2017 which was my first experience with the series. And speaking of that, while I've played every release since then, this is the first time the game has its' hooks in me like that game did. It's probably one of those games that you can only play every ten to twenty years without feeling completely burnt out.

And for those who haven't played it, I'd describe it as a mismatch of Diablo (meaningful loot that swings power progression in a game), Mercenaries (for the over-the-top, bombastic sandbox it provides), and probably a Musou (for the sheer volume of enemies it throws at you though I do think at times EDF requires far more strategy on how you attack any given scenario). The game is also genuinely funny with some fun writing and fantastic delivery of lines by the voice cast. I will not spoil anything but how they handle the time paradox is also really fun.

If I had to levy complaints, it would mostly revolve around the loot system which is mostly great as all the stats and properties have tangible effect in missions, but weapon drops (and repeated weapon drops that give a chance to upgrade those weapons) are based on specific missions in the campaign of which there are ~150. Good luck figuring that without an FAQ. It also feels like higher level weapons underperform upgraded lower level weapons and because you might not get upgraded versions of those, you end up skipping weapon tiers. That might balance out in the two harder difficulty levels as more grinding becomes necessary. Secondly, there are too many missions without combat or too many with draw out narrative sections. It's a bit funny at first to see the same scripted sequences over and over again but wears thing as you need to replay those missions with every class if you want to get to 100%. Lastly, while the game has great enemy variety, the reliance on the shield bearer variants feels overdone, especially when other enemies only appear in two missions (the spiders that ensnare you).

My march towards Inferno continues and the real EDF starts now. Definitely one of my favorite games this year, warts and all.

Top Bottom