• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Witcher book completed by Sapkowski

mitch1971

Gold Member
George R. R. Martin.

Grandpa Snoozing GIF by moodman

JayK47

I didn't like the last one. I may be interested in a prequel assuming it has Geralt in it for most of it. Kind of irritated how little the books have Geralt. Mostly politics and world building. I am guessing the translation is a ways off yet.

Raven117

A prequel for Witcher (into a video game) would be fine. It’s not like the story of Witcher was a whole hell of a lot more than just political fare. It wasn’t a “save the world and defy all the gods” kind of story.

Dazraell

I wonder if it will influence the Witcher 4 given the rumours are this will be a prequel to the Geralt saga?
It's most likely a standalone self-contained story like Season of Storms, so I don't think it will have any major impact

As for influencing the story, there was a similar situation with Witcher 3. The game was already in development when Season of Storms was released. While the main game didn't had references to it, DLCs had references to some of the plot threads from that book (Borsodi's auction house in Hearts of Stone, etc). It'll probably be a similar case

A prequel for Witcher (into a video game) would be fine. It’s not like the story of Witcher was a whole hell of a lot more than just political fare. It wasn’t a “save the world and defy all the gods” kind of story.
I don't think Sapkowski is interested in tieing this to games tbh

Raven117

It's most likely a standalone self-contained story like Season of Storms, so I don't think it will have any major impact

As for influencing the story, there was a similar situation with Witcher 3. The game was already in development when Season of Storms was released. While the main game didn't had references to it, DLCs had references to some of the plot threads from that book (Borsodi's auction house in Hearts of Stone, etc). It'll probably be a similar case

I don't think Sapkowski is interested in tieing this to games tbh
I’m sure you are right.

Dazraell

I’m sure you are right.
I'm saying it mostly based on what he said about games and his general attitude towards them. He never tried any of the games and gets pissed whenever people assume novels are tie-ins to games. That's why I feel that bridging the books and games is probably not something he would be interested in doing

Cyberpunkd

I'm saying it mostly based on what he said about games and his general attitude towards them. He never tried any of the games and gets pissed whenever people assume novels are tie-ins to games. That's why I feel that bridging the books and games is probably not something he would be interested in doing
He never really appreciated videogames as a medium, he considers them inferior to books. When Witcher 3 came out there was a famous case about him in a dispute with CDPR since the original contract didn’t give him a lot of money from the proceeds - again, when he signed off the rights he didn’t think it will become big.
However he was also very open that he doesn’t get them, but has no problems with other people enjoying them. He is probably a bit annoyed when majority of people nowadays ask him about the games, which he had minimum input into.

Ozzie666

Prequels are difficult, hard to create enough emotional attachment when you kind of know how things end up. Don't get me wrong, they can be interesting if done right.

Off topic, the best prequel of all time in any media is Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

Denton

The books and games are already bridged, and will remain so as long as Sapkowski doesn't follow up on after the book endings and contradict the games.
So no extra bridging needed.

Dazraell

The books and games are already bridged, and will remain so as long as Sapkowski doesn't follow up on after the book endings and contradict the games.
So no extra bridging needed.
My response was to someone who mentioned a prequel into the game and why I feel it's not gonna happen. Not really sure why you quoted me

Top Bottom