• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York Attorney General sues Time Warner over slow internet speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

Damning emails show top executives at the state’s biggest internet provider were well aware they couldn’t deliver the higher speeds but signed customers up anyway, according to state Attorney General Eric Schneiderman whose office filed the suit.

“The allegations in today’s lawsuit confirm what many of you have long suspected — Spectrum-Time Warner has been ripping you off,” [Attorney General] Schneiderman said.
At least 640,000 subscribers paid for high-speed internet service, but got slower performance, the state charged. Many couldn’t gain access to staples such as gaming platforms, Netflix and Facebook.

The complaint also alleges Time Warner Cable leased older modems to 900,000 subscribers — knowing the aging gizmos couldn’t deliver high-speed internet.

A 16-month investigation uncovered smoking-gun emails showing execs knew the company was providing customers with internet and WiFi speeds that were as much as 80% slower than advertised, Schneiderman said.
Subscribers weren’t the only ones duped by Spectrum-Time Warner Cable, according to Schneiderman.

The company manipulated speed tests to hide their fraud from federal regulators, the suit says. The internet service provider used a strategy known as over-provisioning, which hikes speed scores in underused service areas to make up for slower scores from more congested areas.

The engineers described the technique as “putting lipstick on a pig,” according to Schneiderman.

The company has 2.5 million subscribers across New York State.

Source: https://www.nydailynews.com/amp/new...warner-slow-internet-speeds-article-1.2961418

Direct link to lawsuit filed by Attorney General: https://ag.ny.gov/sites/default/files/summons_and_complaint.pdf

Jhoan

This has been known for a while that he was planning on suing them. Still good news either way since Time Warner sucks.

Trey

Is it deliberate throttling, or an actual lack of capability?

Fraud. They would charge customers for speeds they know they can't deliver, then bump up speeds in lower usage areas to bring the average up and make it look like every thing was above board.

Can't wait until Trump guts the FCC completely and our internet only has to "feel" like it's fast to not be out of compliance with consumer protection laws

ICO_SotC

Schneiderman is a good guy as far as politicians go. Republicans tried to redistrict him out of office years ago and he survived. Nice to see someone I voted for actually win and be able to do some good things.

Among other things, he's the one that brought the civil suit against Trump and his fake university.

tbm24

It's fantastic this happens now as Time Warner is pushing their Spectrum rebranding hard at the moment. The timing is definitely deliberate.

Good. I almost had the speeds Time Warner advertised with their Maxx program. Afterwards, Spectrum took over and noticed half my speed was dropped and yet I still paid the same amount every month. I dropped them as soon as Verizon Fios came to my building.

Time Warner/Spectrum sucks.

CHC

Fuck yes. TWC is trash and I have no other choice. I would love a class action suit.

They also raise your bill without your permission. It got to where I was paying $70 (!!!) a month for JUST internet. Now every year I call and bitch them out on the phone and they give me the fastest service for 40 bucks a month. You have to strong arm these fuckers or they just bend you over.

Call them up, be firm, be outraged with your price and your speeds, and then just lie and say that you can get better rates elsewhere. They will drop your rate and your service will magically get better!

Still hate their awful company though.

LifEndz

I've been on their 50mbps or whatever it is plan for the longest and I've rarely gotten a 1/3 of that. Things are better since they merged, but I'd love to get something for all the years I was paying for something I never got.

TWC in NYC is trash. Not only they options are expensive and slow. They don't offer more than 300, which is shameful for a major city .

Voror

I wonder if they are this bad in the Austin area too. Currently have AT&T but it's not that great and expiring in a month so I was thinking of switching.

dickroach

TWC in NYC is trash. Not only they options are expensive and slow. They don't offer more than 300, which is shameful for a major city .

6020489396.png

I paid more money for less than half the speed w Comcast in Florida.
also, whatcha need 300 for? curious

Glix

This is legit, and not just about downtime. (NYC)

Many of the offices i support use TW and have IP phones (not through tw). There are CONSTANT issues with the lines (dirty, dropped calls).

This is not the case with the other two providers our offices use.

There is ALWAYS latency. Pings between 25-120ms. I understand 25 is fine. But the fact that it is consistently inconsistant says something to me. Again the other two providers do not have anything at all going on like this (usually pings steady 30's)

No matter how many times they go work on the node or monitor the connection etc, IT NEVER GETS FIXED.

Their infrastructure sucks and it is literally unable to do what they are trying to make it do. Its incredibly frustrating for offices in tw zones that arent able to get fios yet.

Clockwork

I find that this is a regional/market specific issue.

I am in northeast Wisconsin (Green Bay/Fox Valley area) and have had Time Warner for internet access for nearly a decade.

My service has always performed better than expected. Most recently I was on their 50/5 plan and always got around 60/6 via speed tests (speedtest.net and fast.com) and also Steam. Just this month I was bumped to 60/5 plan and am provisioned at 70/6. I can achieve these speeds around the clock.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2587880265

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2575830995

I am actually thinking of upgrading to their 300/20 plan that was just introduced here. My friend just got it and is testing closer to 335.

Trey

You can bet it's throttling, or then Time Warner has done 0 investment in infrastructure since 1950s.

Turns out it's both (allegedly).

There's a good amount of net neutrality language in the lawsuit, which directly references Charter's tift with Netflix.

rjinaz

Fraud. They would charge customers for speeds they know they can't deliver, then bump up speeds in lower usage areas to bring the average up and make it look like every thing was above board.

Sounds kind of like gerrymandering

On Comcast as soon as we dumped their modem/router it became significantly better. Now we're going to have to start dealing with caps because apparently less than 1% "abusing" internet warranted it, which I'm not sure how they do when paying for unlimited internet etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom