• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York Tourist Hot Spots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we have a lot of New Yorkers here so...

I'm heading to New York in a week for 6 days on vacation, and I need recommendations for cool places to visit. I'm going to head to the ESB, the Met, and maybe see an off broadway play. I have other ideas, but I figure who best to learn from than those who have been there before/live there.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Check out the Guggenheim (bring along college ID), the Statue of Liberty, Times Square, FAO Schwartz (if that is still around, I don't even know myself... it's the store in the Tom Hanks movie, Big), Rockefellar Center (No tree at this time of year ;p), China Town, South Street Seaport, Central Park, Wall street, Brooklyn Bridge, 59th Street Bridge (scene of final fight in Spider-Man 1, well... see it from afar. ;p), and uh... other stuff.

There's tons to see here. Personally I like the Wall Street/South Street Seaport area for all of the history.

FortNinety said:
Don't forget to hit SoHo, the East Village, and the West Village.

Yes. Also make sure to check out Chinatown and west 125th street as well. There's lots of culture in both places. In my opinion, anyway. East Harlem (where I'm from) is also full of culture as well. If you wish to check out all of the tourist spots in one shot, I suggest you give the famous red double-decker bus a shot. I think it's like $59 for a tour that last an entire day. You can find people giving out the circulars for these buses on Times Square.

Don't do regular tourist things. Tourists are annoying.

I could recommend you places to go, but I don't know what you're intersted in.

I was a sucker for Times Square and SoHo, and I also went down to Little Italy and Chinatown in my short visit. I don't really like to go through all the touristy areas, but that's the kind of traveler I am. I've been to pretty much everything though...

BTW, the south end of Central Park sucks, don't waste your time, as my friends visiting NYC for the first time found out, hardway.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
fbcamp said:
Huh, I thought they were bought out before they went under. I think they were still there the last time I past the store a couple weeks ago.

I'm pretty sure I just saw a big blank the last time I was driving by there. I didn't see the FAO Schwartz logo or anything.

isn't the statue of liberty closed?

visit coney island and get a chili cheese dog from nathan's!

and get some gray's papaya!

and ray's pizza!

and go to katz delicatessen!

aparisi2274

CavemanLawyer said:
I know we have a lot of New Yorkers here so...

I'm heading to New York in a week for 6 days on vacation, and I need recommendations for cool places to visit. I'm going to head to the ESB, the Met, and maybe see an off broadway play. I have other ideas, but I figure who best to learn from than those who have been there before/live there.

Ok, you must hit Central Park. If you enter at 59th st, by the Plaza hotel, u can walk up to the zoo and to Bethesda Fountain, which if you sit there, u can literally watch the whole city go by.

If you are gonna see an OBP, go see The Blue Man Group down at the Astor Theater. It is such a cool show. You can always take a free ride on the Staten Isl. Ferry.

The Statue of Liberty is closed until 8/3.

Hit the Hayden Planetarium and the Museum.

Try to hit Gray's Papaya (72nd and B'way) Best hot dogs in the city. Or you can travel to Brooklyn and hit the original Nathans at Coney Island.

I know its summer, but you can hit the Soup Nazi. He is on 55th and 8th.

Not sure what else to tell ya to see.

aparisi2274 said:
Ok, you must hit Central Park. If you enter at 59th st, by the Plaza hotel, u can walk up to the zoo and to Bethesda Fountain, which if you sit there, u can literally watch the whole city go by.

If you are gonna see an OBP, go see The Blue Man Group down at the Astor Theater. It is such a cool show. You can always take a free ride on the Staten Isl. Ferry.

The Statue of Liberty is closed until 8/3.

Hit the Hayden Planetarium and the Museum.

Try to hit Gray's Papaya (72nd and B'way) Best hot dogs in the city. Or you can travel to Brooklyn and hit the original Nathans at Coney Island.

I know its summer, but you can hit the Soup Nazi. He is on 55th and 8th.

Not sure what else to tell ya to see.
i thought soup nazi was closed during summers?

oh, if you're feeling like a badass, you can go to the old homestead steakhouse and try one of those $50 kobe beef burgers

The Faceless Master said:
i thought soup nazi was closed during summers?

oh, if you're feeling like a badass, you can go to the old homestead steakhouse and try one of those $50 kobe beef burgers

This is probably a stupid question, but did someone actually create called "Soup Nazi" after the Seinfeld episode?

AeroGod

IAWTP. If you love burgers, it worth every penny. Its like a giant piece of beefy sex in your mouth.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
The Bookerman said:
There's actually a place called NAZI SOUP?

I'm also goin to new york for at least 2 days in august.

Heh. The "Soup Nazi" in Seinfeld was based on a real person in a soup kitchen. :)

aparisi2274

Lyte Edge said:
Heh. The "Soup Nazi" in Seinfeld was based on a real person in a soup kitchen. :)

yeah Seinfeld took this real soup guy and made him the Nazi on his show. It funny, because when I went there, you have to do the exact same thing as the show. Go up to the counter, tell them what you want, hand him the money, and move to the left. He actually motioned for me to move over left more. So I did. I didnt want to lose my bread. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom