• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Divisional |OT| Don't Call It A Comeback

Bread

Banned
A touchdown/fieldgoal might have been better then a safety if Indy had scored on the possession after. That statement wasn't mock worthy.
might have? obviously, but do you know anything about playing percentages? it is absolutely mock worthy to give the colts 3 points AT THE MINIMUM when you can just give them 2 and stop them from scoring at all.

Paches

http://mynorthwest.com/category/seahawks_blog/

Television cameras captured an on-field confrontation between Saints tight end Jimmy Graham and Seahawks linebacker Bruce Irvin about two hours before Saturday's game.

92929365-a822-425f-91bf-88161f6b4670
Saints tight end Jimmy Graham and Seahawks linebacker Bruce Irvin (not pictured) were involved in a dispute during warmups which Irvin said started when he told Graham to move off of Seattle's side of the field.

Those cameras didn't catch what started it, though, and Irvin explained after the game.
"Actually, he was warming up in our area," Irvin said, "and I asked him to move, and he said, 'I'm Jimmy.' So I knocked the ball out of his hand and I kicked it across the field. So that's how it started. That's how it started."

Wait a minute. He said, "I'm Jimmy?"

"He said, 'I'm Jimmy,' " Irvin said, "And I was like, 'Who the (heckfire) is Jimmy?' So I knocked the ball out and kicked it across the field. And that's when he took my hat off."

Irvin was wearing a ski mask that covered most of his face, but he had a hat that was knocked off.

"He just popped it off," Irvin said.

lol "I'm Jimmy".

C Jones

might have? obviously, but do you know anything about playing percentages? it is absolutely mock worthy to give the colts 3 points AT THE MINIMUM when you can just give them 2 and stop them from scoring at all.
Nah man. The Pats defense was just chomping at the bit to get out there and try to the stop the Colts on 3 to 4 cracks at the endzone with the ball on their own 2. So much easier to do that then stop the other team from driving the field after a short kickoff.

GQman2121

Banned
good punt from vinatieri

but the other punter wasn't to blame, was a high snap

image.php

Bread

Banned
Nah man. The Pats defense was just chomping at the bit to get out there and try to the stop the Colts on 3 to 4 cracks at the endzone with the ball on their own 2. So much easier to do that then stop the other team from driving the field after a short kickoff.
yea you're right, after all they could have made the colts throw a pick and return it for a td! they might have done it, who am i to say that it couldn't happen!

krae_man

Yes it was. Giving the Colts the ball at the 2 is way worse than taking a safety.

It was ridiculous. You think the Colts were jumping up and down on the sideline because it was a safety instead of it being on the 2?

It's always better than a safety for the colts

It's not 2 vs guaranteed 3 or 7

It's 2+posession vs possibly 3 or 7.

You guys are basically saying they had a 100% chance of scoring from the 2 but a 0% chance of scoring on the drive off the punt. It's not cut and dry.

Pimpwerx

You guys are basically saying they had a 100% chance of scoring from the 2 but a 0% chance of scoring on the drive off the punt.
If your defense can hold them to 3 at the 2, trust they can force a punt too. Play the odds. Take the safety. PEACE.

Bread

Banned

You guys are basically saying they had a 100% chance of scoring from the 2 but a 0% chance of scoring on the drive off the punt.
uhhh it's 2 + possession (from an unfavorable field position) vs an extremely high (90% at least) chance of 3 AT THE MINIMUM, but more a more probable 7.

No one is saying they had a 0% chance of scoring on the 2nd drive. Absolutely no one said that.

Jayhawk

Bill Barnell from Grantland had an analysis on a similar situation from a few weeks ago...

The safety gives you two points and another possession with very good field position, thanks to the free kick. I don't have numbers on the average return length from a free kick, but let's estimate that the Steelers would take over on their own 40-yard line. A drive that begins 60 yards away from the end zone, depending on the team, will score an average of somewhere between 1.5 and 2.0 points. Even if we're trying to take the sides that make the safety look like the right call, the safety is worth about four points to the Steelers, and the possession on the 1-yard line is worth 5.5 points. It's going to be really hard to make the estimates line up in a way that makes the safety even remotely close to the superior option.

Dragon

Banned

You guys are basically saying they had a 100% chance of scoring from the 2 but a 0% chance of scoring on the drive off the punt. It's not cut and dry.

First and goal at the 2 is way more likely to score 7 points than first and 10 at the 40. Sorry you're just plain wrong.

C Jones

No, I'm not saying that.

Where would you rather have your defense? Defending a 1st and goal on their own 2, or a 1st and 10 at the opponents 30?

I'm willing to give up 2 friggin points for the latter scenario, especially when my team is up by 11.

Wes

venison crêpe
T. Richardson - 1 carry - 2 yards

GODDAMN IT AGENT TRUCK. YOU'RE THERE TO GET US A HIGH DRAFT PICK. NOW GET OUT ON THAT FIELD AND FUMBLE IT AGAIN.

Bread

Banned
except you aren't guaranteed good field position. the colts got the ball off the free kick at the 22
Yup that was a generous assumption, and yet it still didn't make the decision tough whatsoever.

The safety is the smart play every single time, except maybe if you're tied or winning by 1 at the end of a game.

yuraya

Colts would have easily had at least a chip shot field goal from the 2 yard line. So the score now would already have been 13 to 21 instead of 12 to 21. Plus with richardson and luck they could have easily scored 7 from the 2 yard line with 3-4 attempts.

Narag

Colts would have easily had at least a chip shot field goal from the 2 yard line. So the score now would already have been 13 to 21 instead of 12 to 21. Plus with richardson and luck they could have easily scored 7 from the 2 yard line with 3-4 attempts.

:jnc

Pimpwerx

So if a teams goal line defense is good, their pass defense and/or no huddle defense are automatically just as good?
No, but how often is this the case anyway? How good is NE's goal line D? I don't think good enough with someone strong and mobile like Luck. PEACE.

Edit: I think I misunderstood. You're arguing for the Colts, in which case I agree.

Top Bottom