• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFSU interview. Better AI, time and weather system, on competiton: GT4, B03, OR2 etc.

Deg

Banned
http://www.cube-europe.com/special.php?sid=nfsu2interview

Sounds great. They seem to have fixed the problems with the last game. Gonna be great.

Q: Do you fear quality racing games (grand turismo 4, Burnout 3, Outrun 2,...) to finish NFS reign some day soon or do you think the name NFS still stands supreme today?

A: WE FEAR NO ONE! ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!

Q: In NFSU the CPU controlled opponents had "catch up", something which most gamers dislike. Likewise they also had a tendency of ramming into the player. Has the A.I. routine of the CPU controlled cars been improved since the original? If yes then in what way?

A: This is something that we've spent a lot of time on for Underground 2. It's a very delicate balance to tune the AI so that it feels like you are in a competitive race while at the same time doesn’t feel as if you’re playing against opponents that "cheat" to keep up with you. I think the AI this year is definitely improved over Underground. I don't think any players will feel that they have been cheated out of a win on the last lap due to "catch up". If you do lose a race, you'll probably know exactly why and it will usually be because of some mistake you could have avoided and not because of the AI. Now when you replay the race and run a faster time, you'll probably win. It's also pretty cool to see the AI sometimes make the same mistakes as you do. There's nothing more satisfying than driving hard behind an opponent and watching him blow a corner because he was pushing too hard to stay ahead!

Q: Since the game is going to be much more free-roaming, does it have a time- and weather- system?

Yes, we have both a time and a weather system and they really add a great feel to the game experience. Driving around the city in the rain and hearing the thunder crackle in the distance is absolutely amazing; it really immerses you in the environment. Our time of day system adds yet another layer on top of this. While the game still takes place at night, you'll see transitions between dusk and dawn that make a huge difference in the look and feel of an area. I think players will really appreciate these little details that make the world feel alive.

Q: Since the game is going to be much more free-roaming, does it have a time- and weather- system?

A: Yes, we have both a time and a weather system and they really add a great feel to the game experience. Driving around the city in the rain and hearing the thunder crackle in the distance is absolutely amazing; it really immerses you in the environment. Our time of day system adds yet another layer on top of this. While the game still takes place at night, you'll see transitions between dusk and dawn that make a huge difference in the look and feel of an area. I think players will really appreciate these little details that make the world feel alive.

AinGide_001.jpg

352.jpg

356.jpg

view.php

DanielK_002.jpg

screen_1.jpg

358.jpg

Clearman_002.jpg

Clearman_005.jpg

299.jpg

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I hope that 'drfit' crap is taken out this time. Those drift competitions pissed me off royally in part one.

WarPig

dskillzhtown said:
I hope that 'drfit' crap is taken out this time. Those drift competitions pissed me off royally in part one.

There are still drift comps, but the open-ended nature of the career mode I think means you can kinda avoid 'em if you want.

DFS.

raYne

LOL at the "All your base..." response.

There's nothing in the interview that hasn't been said before. The inclusion of suv's still gets a big "WTF?" from me though.... 5 ton Escalades racing suped up sports cars.

Pfft.. drifting rocked! It's still in this one, but you can choose to do or not do it, same goes for other modes. It isn't required to beat the game though.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
raYne said:
LOL at the "All your base..." response.

There's nothing in the interview that hasn't been said before. The inclusion of suv's still gets a big "WTF?" from me though.... 5 ton Escalades racing suped up sports cars.

Then you should probably stay away from the next Midnight Club too then...

I'm still trying to figure out how you have a time system dusk/dawn transitions, and no daylight...

Funniest thing about the posted shots is that the game will never look this good... well maybe it'll be close on the PC....

raYne

Yeah, I know all about the Midnight Club series... I fully expect street bikes to show up in NFSU3 as well.. *rollseyes*

Dusk -> night -> dawn -> cloud cover/rain that hides all the "day" -> dusk -> night -> repeat.

Q: Do you fear quality racing games (grand turismo 4, Burnout 3, Outrun 2,...) to finish NFS reign some day soon or do you think the name NFS still stands supreme today?

LOL. Are they serious Outrun 2? That games sales won't come close to the other guys. Those 3 will go over a million, easily. Outrun 2 will be lucky to ever hit 200k.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
shpankey said:
nasty... this game is fucking ugly.

The console versions are fucking disgusting. The texturing in that first pic is atrocious. Some of the worst I've seen on the PS2. The PC version will make up for that, though.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I hate this soulless series. When I think about it I get that feeling that others report so often with EA titles but that I've never fully understood. It's repulsive.

Top Bottom