• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFSU2 GBA >>> RR DS

Deg

Banned
:p

edit: can you guys see the screens for both games?

RR DS:

vortal_pic_130892.jpg
vortal_pic_130889.jpg
vortal_pic_130888.jpg
vortal_pic_130887.jpg

NFSU 2 GBA:

vortal_pic_130913.jpg
vortal_pic_130914.jpg
vortal_pic_130923.jpg
vortal_pic_130915.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
If the first NSFU GBA is anything to judge by, then HELL NO. NFSU on GBA looks truly awful and runs at a totally shit framerate. The game runs so poorly that I honestly have no idea how it actually made it out the door...

olimario

Banned
A lot of GBA titles look better than a lot of NDS titles.
Developers need to start using the full of the new processor.

I havent seen anything on the DS that looks as good/clean/polished as Yoshi's Island.
Of course, I didn't see anything on the N64/PS that did either.

ge-man

It's obvious that NST main effort is Metroid Hunters. I'd rather have a delay and get a proper RR after the launch.

MaddenNFL64

When devs actually have time with the hardware, I think they'll get some really good N64 3D out of it. The push for launch day is a factor with most of these 3rd party games.

snapty00

Banned
Texture Filtering + Higher-resolution Screen = Much Better Graphics

I really think those two things are the downfall of the DS's graphics. On the one hand, you can clearly see that the textures aren't filtered. That in itself is bad.

But the fact is that the resolution is still very, very poor, so no matter how nice the graphics are, there is going to be a physical limitation to the amount of pixels that can be displayed. Even as developers become better at programming the DS, the screen is still only going to have a poor 256x192 resolution. I would've either went with 480x320 (marginally better than PSP and the same ratio of the GBA) or 320x240 (the same or better than probably 90% of all Nintendo 64 games and the same ratio as the current DS resolution).

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
The game actually moves. How horrible did all those GBA 3D games run. Be sensible here. Turok 2 destroys F-Zero X in a screenshot, but in motion, F-Zero X kills all.

snapty00

Banned
Shikamaru Ninja said:
The game actually moves. How horrible did all those GBA 3D games run. Be sensible here. Turok 2 destroys F-Zero X in a screenshot, but in motion, F-Zero X kills all.
I'm sorry, but as fun as F-Zero X was, it looked like total shit in screenshots and otherwise.

Ridge Racer has brighter more clear visuals, which I appreciate. I'll take that over better textures any day. Plus RRDS just looks more fun.

jett

D-Member
snapty00 said:
Texture Filtering + Higher-resolution Screen = Much Better Graphics

I really think those two things are the downfall of the DS's graphics. On the one hand, you can clearly see that the textures aren't filtered. That in itself is bad.

But the fact is that the resolution is still very, very poor, so no matter how nice the graphics are, there is going to be a physical limitation to the amount of pixels that can be displayed. Even as developers become better at programming the DS, the screen is still only going to have a poor 256x192 resolution. I would've either went with 480x320 (marginally better than PSP and the same ratio of the GBA) or 320x240 (the same or better than probably 90% of all Nintendo 64 games and the same ratio as the current DS resolution).

I sort of agree with you about the resolution. Still kinda pathetic that just like the GBA, the DS is incapable of bringing 100% accurate SNES *or* NES ports because of the resolution. Is(at the very least) 256x244 too much to ask!?

jett said:
I sort of agree with you about the resolution. Still kinda pathetic that just like the GBA, the DS is incapable of bringing 100% accurate SNES *or* NES ports because of the resolution. Is(at the very least) 256x244 too much to ask!?

I agree. At least Nintendo could have increased the res if not anything else. I feel it'll hurt them in the long run.

snapty00

Banned
The resolution is increased, but it's still shit. The resolution of the GBA was already too low.

Here's the resolution timeline:

1989: 160 x 144
2001: 240 x 160
2004: 256 x 192

In total pixels, we've increased by 113% over a 15-year period. That's pretty terrible. The vertical resolution has only risen 33%.

Deg

Banned
I'll add more fire to the thread.

Asphalt Urban GT runs at 60fps, Ridge Racer DS at 30fps. Asphalt also is faster.

Top Bottom