• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Playoffs 2016 |OT| Clear Eyes, Full Salt, Will Lose

Pikma

Banned
As I said before, noted.

*Sips soda

I don't think us looking bad tonight had anything to do with Pittsburgh looking good. It seems like late in the third and OT we found our sea legs a bit. Maybe Murray did as well. But we'll see what happens going forward.
You're pathetic :lol

zroid

Banned
Reminder of how this works

BtBGRsw.png

Calamari41

41 > 38
Reminder of how this works

BtBGRsw.png

Yes, thank you. FSN or somebody did a whole thing on it after the game last year, showing a puck clearly in from the angle we saw tonight and then panning the camera to show that it was nowhere near all the way across. I'm not complaining or anything, I just thought it was super interesting.

fallout

So I'm sure zroid is right. With the optical illusion you can't overturn the call on the ice because you can't guarantee how far the angle change would "move" the puck.
Ehh, there's probably some gap size that's definitive, but it's late and I don't feel like doing trig.

NHL was talking about adding another line in the goal, so when the puck hits that line, it means it crossed the red line completely right?

While writing this I realized it would have the same problems

KingBroly

Banned
NHL was talking about adding another line in the goal, so when the puck hits that line, it means it crossed the red line completely right?

While writing this I realized it would have the same problems

Well, the puck was flat on the ice. So it wouldn't have mattered tonight. You can't create white ice from an angle like that when you can't see beneath it. You move the preferred angle 1 more frame forward and it's over a lot more. It's a goal.

BTW, ESPN just showed the overhead angle and you can't see the puck below Murray's pad, so that angle won't help.

Calamari41

41 > 38
They should make a laser that shoots straight up out of the ice and it tells you when there's a puck touching the laser so when the puck crosses completely over the line it releases a purple fog.

Actually the puck should always be releasing this purple fog so we can finally follow the plays. The way you know it's a goal is because the puck stops releasing the fog

Socreges

Banned
They should make a laser that shoots straight up out of the ice and it tells you when there's a puck touching the laser so when the puck crosses completely over the line it releases a purple fog.

The puck should always be releasing this purple fog so we can finally follow the plays. The way you know it's a goal is because the puck stops releasing the fog
Your idea is not without its kinks, but it should definitely be pursued

Calamari41

41 > 38
Your idea is not without its kinks, but it should definitely be pursued

I changed my mind partway through, but the team can work out the kinks. The NHL tech team. I'd like to hear just one reason why this wouldn't work.

If you don't like the fog idea it can be an alarm that stops sounding when the puck passes the goal line.

zroid

Banned
I changed my mind partway through, but the team can work out the kinks. The NHL tech team. I'd like to hear just one reason why this wouldn't work.

If you don't like the fog idea it can be an alarm that stops sounding when the puck passes the goal line.
as much as I am pro-fog they could just put an LED in the puck which turns on when it detected the laser lol

KingBroly

Banned
What I don't understand is that they have Goalpost cameras, but they're at the center of the fucking net. They're fucking useless there. Put em near the bottom. Or at least have some kinda wide-angle lens there.

I mean on the surface that's not a bad idea but the weight of the light would change the physics of the puck. Fog is weightless.

A puck that emits fog by no way of mechanism...how can this be? Do tell!

LED wouldn't work or be reliable enough due to the potential of damage, it would also be difficult to embed I would think

I'm team no technology, I like the human element of the officiating honestly, even though it cost us a cup.

RC

Banned

Actually the puck should always be releasing this purple fog so we can finally follow the plays. The way you know it's a goal is because the puck stops releasing the fog

Think you've been huffing a little too much fog.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
By the way, @soIoucity won the Buccigross Challenge tonight.

If nothing else, now we know he's better at making hockey predictions than sir bat.

malfcn

Ice is usually really thin, and the crease gets scuffed up. Don't know how much clear ice there really would be to create that optical situation.

Zooming in on a pick near goal with a nice line of cocaine next to it could make a call difficult.

Top Bottom