• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo dropping GC Component vs. Sony dropping HDD support

cvxfreak

Which decision is worse? Many people picked on Nintendo for its decision, but I have to say Sony's decision was much worse.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
And yet...GC will continue to be efraowned, month after month. No one cares about either one as much as they doth protest.

Ryck

To me Nintendo dropping component is worse ( I don't have a ps2 yet holding out for the pstwo) because if anything ever happens to my cube I won't be able to play my games progressive scan.

Mashing

Ryck, you can send your new gamecube back to Nintendo and they will send you one with component outputs.

That may be a hassle, but if you want to play in progressive scan that's what you'd have to do. The same goes for me as well.

scarybore

Both are pretty idiotic and imo unexcusable decisions, but Nintendo dropping the component atleast doesnt stop a handfull of games being playable on the console.

Sony. At the very least, lots of upcoming GC games will still have progressive scan output, regardless of the cube hardware itself. Can't say the same about HDD...

The lack of component still sucks ass though. I'm glad my NTSC cube has component out.

Ryck

Mashing said:
Ryck, you can send your new gamecube back to Nintendo and they will send you one with component outputs.

That may be a hassle, but if you want to play in progressive scan that's what you'd have to do. The same goes for me as well.
Really? do they send the same one back with added outputs or do they send a refurb?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Deathcraze said:
Both are pretty idiotic and imo unexcusable decisions, but Nintendo dropping the component atleast doesnt stop a handfull of games being playable on the console.

And thats what it boils down.

WarPig

I'd call component support more useful than the PS2 iLink port or the hard drive. I'd say all of them still had relatively limited appeal, though.

DFS.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
GC dropping of Progressive by a long chalk for me.

however, what is interesting about the PS2 dropping HDD is how this relates to all the initial blurb about using the PS2 as a media/broadband hub... that never really happened did it?

I guess what is a worrying is that Sony keep talking about this broadband utopia that they are going to give us, but it never actually comes...

I'm sure PS3 -will- have that model, but PS2 was the perfect point for them to get their distribution up and running and have the basic infra in place to crush MS next gen. As it remains, everything is still up for grabs...

Mareg

Progressive scan Owns.
PS2 HDD bomb !

But PStwo having compatibilities issue with games (not only hdd ones) is the worst of all.

Alcibiades

btw, in the other thread, someone reported that Nintendo sent them free component cables along with the GCN exchange, so at least they are doing something extra in terms of customer satisfaction...

Ranger X

Wich game aside FF11 (that i don't care about) will i miss not having the DD????
And you seriously think an intelligent develloper will make a game that almost nobody will be able to play? bullshit. The DD was late and badly implemented. It didn't work and screw that. You had the chance to play (or remove the L ) FF11? Fine. You've been robbed. This is what you should complaint about.

tenchir

Mareg said:
Progressive scan Owns.
PS2 HDD bomb !

But PStwo having compatibilities issue with games (not only hdd ones) is the worst of all.

I expected it to have compatibility problems. PSOne and PSX(the TIVO version) also had compatibility problems with some games. So incompatibility with .01% of PS2 library isn't the issue here, it's to be expected when you completely redesign a system. The real issue is lack of HDD support versus lack of Progressive Scan.

Wyzdom said:
Wich game aside FF11 (that i don't care about) will i miss not having the DD????

Front Mission Online
Ambrosia Odyssey
+ whatever other playonline titles Square-enix had on the schedule

well, i ust bought my cube component cables this week, can't wait for them to arrive...
i'd say nintendo dropping component was the worst, especially considering they didnt even sell component cables in stores...
how the hell do you expect people to care when they have to pay $30 plus S&H to get 'em...

xsarien

daedsiluap
Well, Sony dropping the HDD puts the kibosh on some games, both from SCEI and Square, the one company Sony would be smart to keep happy no matter what. Nintendo dropping component support doesn't stop me from playing squat, and given how many standard, non-HDTVs are out there compared to EDTV and HDTV, I don't really think anyone but the hardcore and videophiles will notice, or care.

jedimike

If Microsoft called me up and said you have to give up either your hard drive or your progressive scan... I think I would give them back the progressive scan. It would be a tough decision because I love my 480P (and sometimes higher), but I love my unlimited saves, custom soundtracks and downloadable content even more.

Of course the GC pro-scan library pales in comparison to the Xboxes and Sony hasn't done anything very useful with the hard drive, so I don't feel either one is a big loss.

What it all boils down to is the Xbox owners are a spoiled bunch ;)

Link316

Banned
Nintendo dropping component is much worse because it affects almost every GC game whereas Sony dropping HDD support only affects a handful of PS2 games

Rhindle

Well, not very many people care about either feature, so both moves are rather inconsequential.

OTOH, in Sony's case, introducing a new product and charging people an extra $50 for it, knowing that you are going to be dropping support for it in a couple of month, the ethics of that are kind of questionable.

cvxfreak

Link316 said:
Nintendo dropping component is much worse because it affects almost every GC game whereas Sony dropping HDD support only affects a handful of PS2 games

Slightly affecting every game > alienating people of several games

You're bias.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Component is MUCH worse, from my perspective. I never planned on using the HDD and never will. I don't care about it and, outside of HDLoader, never had ANY interest in using it.

On the other hand, I can't imagine GC without component. In my opinion, GC produces the most beautiful progressive output of any console yet made. I don't know if it has more to do with the games or what, but GC looks so good in 480p.

Neither really causes a problem for me, though. I was planning on buying JP versions of my consoles when I move there next Spring, though, but the removal of the component output will keep me from buying a JP Cube (so I'll just stick with Freeloader).

I can see it varying depending on the person. Both options are rather "niche", when you get right down to it...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Rhindle said:
OTOH, in Sony's case, introducing a new product and charging people an extra $50 for it, knowing that you are going to be dropping support for it in a couple of month, the ethics of that are kind of questionable.
*smirks* why do I somehow get the feeling that ethics wouldn't have been your concern if this topic had been started just a few days earlier?

Pellham

Banned
my projector doesn't support component so I could care less about gamecube dropping component. think of the non-hardcore people here...

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
^^

How could it? There could only be an external solution, and even then you're stuck @ USB 1.1 speeds.

To no longer be able to play games in progressive on the GC is far worse tho.

Sho Nuff

Banned
They're not talking about it, but it's definitely out. The USB ports are still USB 1.0 and cannot sustain the data rates needed for HDD games. :(

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
john tv said:
Still waiting for someone to actually confirm that the new PS2 won't have HDD support.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/549/549938p1.html

What's particularly interesting about the new SCPH-70000, however, is that it cannot use the Hard Drive (HDD) needed for games such as Final Fantasy XI, and well, Final Fantasy Xi's expansion packs. It has also been confirmed that some software will not be compatible with the new unit, but what those titles are have not been revealed.

Top Bottom