• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS US commercial - Touch It!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Nintendo wants me to get a boner.

aoi tsuki

Barnimal said:
i dunno why but that reminded me of a saturn or 32x ad.
It's the lo-fi nature of it. Looks like it was shot with a old videocam, and the shot of static was used in a few old Sega ads.

Interesting, although i think the "You might like it" could've been left out.

Matlock

Banned
halloween-3-08t.jpg

Five more days 'till Halloween, Halloween, Halloween; Five more days 'till Halloween, Silver Shamrock...

Mashing

I touched it, and it did nothing... I WANT SATISFACTION!!

You hear that Nintendo... I'm suing for false advertising!

fugimax

That was crappy and I hate.

In isolation, I would agree, but you need to keep it in perspective. We are about to be hit by a marketing blitz. Little "weird" commercials like this will be very effective. It makes people curious, and curiousity is good (from a marketing perspective).

Just because it didn't show a game and mario bouncing around the screen isn't necessarily a bad thing...in fact, I think it's great that it shows absolutely *nothing* except for the system and alludes to touching.

Kon Tiki

Banned
olimario said:
I despise static.
I think it is tacky.
I think this same commercial idea could have been executed much better.
I agree with oli on this one. The concept was decent, the execution was off.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
olimario said:
I despise static.
I think it is tacky.
I think this same commercial idea could have been executed much better.

what would you have done better?

the static bring attention to the screen. same with complete silence or the emergency screen.

i actually really like it. gives you a WTF feeling. which i always welcome.

Have to remember too, this is just a teaser commercial. Much like the Metroid Prime 2: Echoes one. This one, and maybe a variant will run right up to the 18th when normal commercials will start to air.

fugimax

People also need to keep this commercial in perspective of the entire ad campaign. I agree, if this is all Nintendo has to offer...is this commercial and variations on it...all the way up to launch, shame on them.

However, if each commercial is different and envokes the curiousity of the viewer...then they've done well. If I had no idea what DS was before seeing this, I would definitely be somewhat curious.

Further, I think the commercials for DS are going to be somewhat...obscure. Reason being that it's very hard to relay just how a touch-screen really changes anything. If I hadn't played DS at E3, I might be a little skeptical over whether or not touch screen was anything fun...or how it could be used.

Try explaining touch screen in 30 seconds to someone that convinces them they *need* the DS. It just won't happen. Thus, obscure commercial + link to website with more info/media. Works for me.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
I'm not crazy about it, but it seems pretty effective to me. I think "mystery" commercials where you have no idea WTF they are selling till the very last second tend to be pretty interesting. If you caught this on tv the static alone would probably catch your attention.

That was interesting. I think it causes people to raise their eyebrows at least, but it's a really poor ad as a whole. I mean, it does its job, and we have to understand that teaser commercials are generally similar. But they make the DS look so weird in that shot when it appears. I also felt like I should expect Max Headroom or something. I can't say I like it, or hate it.

Though I don't think there's much Nintendo can do for me that is better than Utada.

lexi

Banned
I think Nintendo should have just used the Japan ads. There is nothing more mainstream in America right now than J-Pop idols.

Nintendo stated in their press release that the "normal" commercials would start on the 18th.

In checking with their press release from today on them:

"Intriguing pre-launch television ads begin airing on Oct. 25. The series of three ads presents a static-filled screen with a female voice-over that encourages viewers to interact with two blue boxes that appear on the screen."

And from the Reuters report:

"Longer television commercials will air from Nov. 18 on programs such as animated comedy "South Park." Publicis agency Leo Burnett created the ads."

Eric-GCA

Banned
"Publicis agency Leo Burnett created the ads."

Well, I guess Nintendo is still sticking with those guys. I had hoped Reggie would have kicked their asses and taken their names.

maynerd

Banned
Nice commercial. I like the retro feel of the commercial yet also portrays something new. For people who have no idea what the DS is they think to themselves "A touch screen device...what is that?" For people who know of it and aren't raging gamers like us it may show for the first time what the DS looks like and it gets them excited about it. And for us, well it gives us a commercial to talk about. How perfect is this commercial?

I am starting to get the itch to put down a preorder for a DS.

Maynerd

nubbe

wtf...
All the replies made me think it was going to be a bikini girl moaning about beaing touched!!! :(((

aoi tsuki

fugimax said:
People also need to keep this commercial in perspective of the entire ad campaign. I agree, if this is all Nintendo has to offer...is this commercial and variations on it...all the way up to launch, shame on them.

However, if each commercial is different and envokes the curiousity of the viewer...then they've done well. If I had no idea what DS was before seeing this, I would definitely be somewhat curious.

Further, I think the commercials for DS are going to be somewhat...obscure. Reason being that it's very hard to relay just how a touch-screen really changes anything. If I hadn't played DS at E3, I might be a little skeptical over whether or not touch screen was anything fun...or how it could be used.

Try explaining touch screen in 30 seconds to someone that convinces them they *need* the DS. It just won't happen. Thus, obscure commercial + link to website with more info/media. Works for me.
Cryptic ads, just like the initial Dreamcast ads. i agree that it's a good way to generate initial interest in the system, but Nintendo really needs to add some content to their NDS page. i can understand holding out until launch, but there really needs to be some major teaser trailer of games and a quick system overview on video, not the same stuff that's been on the page since E3. If i was a casual gamer, i'd probably look at the PS-level graphics and pass. i can't believe the nintendods.com site doesn't actually have any content on it.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
fugimax said:

I used to say the EXACT same things about the Dreamcast "it's thinking..." teasers, but you know what? Those commercials sucked.

This commercial doesn't totally suck, but at the same time, it seems to have no point. What's with the static/color bars business? They wanted to get at the whole sex/mature angle with the voice over, but it just doesn't make any sense with the visual content of the ad. The whole aesthetic of the commercial just reeks of trying too hard to be "edgy."

lockii said:
I think Nintendo should have just used the Japan ads. There is nothing more mainstream in America right now than J-Pop idols.

You're joking, right?

After reading the comments I expected a terrible commercial. I actually think this is one of the best Nintendo ads in a long time. When you're watching TV it will totally throw you off and it WILL get your attention. Very interesting and up front, which is exactly the type of ads Nintendo DS needs.

MetatronM said:
I used to say the EXACT same things about the Dreamcast "it's thinking..." teasers, but you know what? Those commercials sucked.

This commercial doesn't totally suck, but at the same time, it seems to have no point. What's with the static/color bars business? They wanted to get at the whole sex/mature angle with the voice over, but it just doesn't make any sense with the visual content of the ad. The whole aesthetic of the commercial just reeks of trying too hard to be "edgy."

Sure, and if Nintendo had used the Japanese Ads then you'd be saying that they were too fruity and trying too hard. Either way Nintendo is never going to do anything right, just admit it, seriously.

Aoi tsuki, you have a jaded perspective. A casual gamer does not care about graphics. If that were the case, Xbox would be in the lead and GBA would sell next to nothing. They are looking for a game to keep them occupied, and honestly have nothing to compare the DS to besides GBA. A casual gamer is going to think the opposite of what you believe IMO.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
MetatronM said:
This commercial doesn't totally suck, but at the same time, it seems to have no point. What's with the static/color bars business?
They want people to think there's something wrong with their tv. So they walk over to the set to fix it and those rectangles pop up on the screen. I wouldn't say it's a great commercial as far as being informative or creating desire but I'm sure it's going to make some people sit up and notice.

Dragmire

That was a great teaser. Much better than cleaning my cat's litter box. *imagines bottom rectangle morphing into a cat litter box*

CrisKre

Wow, I liked it a lot. Very sophisticated.

I'm sure there will be more... I don't think that would work in movie theatres.

Good start, its intriguing.

Memles

Initatives
1. Shows the System - Check
2. Says Nintendo - Check
3. Won't blend into the last commercial - Check

So it does its job and in the end it's generally quite cool. Now they really need to get the full-on American website up in the same vein of the teasers with a lot more information, so these teasers can do their job.

Kon Tiki

Banned
cybamerc said:
They want people to think there's something wrong with their tv. So they walk over to the set to fix it and those rectangles pop up on the screen. I wouldn't say it's a great commercial as far as being informative or creating desire but I'm sure it's going to make some people sit up and notice.
Does that even happen with digital cable? :p

fugimax

Glad to hear people are liking it. After the initial reaction of what I shall deem "the hardcore," I'm glad the casual people around here appreciate it.

Top Bottom