• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo working hard with Revolution [Rumors]

SantaC

Rumormill: 08.09.04
By Todd Mowatt -- Freelance
Published 7:29 PM CDT, August 9, 2004

New rumors surrounding the Nintendo Revolution

Inside sources tell me that Nintendo is getting ready to pull the wool over both Sony's and Microsoft's eyes. Not only are they working like mad to get their next generation console ready to beat both of their major competitors to market, I am hearing that the system will have Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Metroid and Star Fox games as well as a few other high-profile games ready to ship at launch...the next generation Nintendo machine might include a 15 GB hard drive and as you already know from previous reports, chips for the machine are being made by ATI and IBM, the same folks who are making the Xbox Next chip sets! Other rumblings we have begun to dig up include the fact the system might include dual 1.8 GHz Power PC processors and an 800 MHz graphics chip.

We have also learned that the new Nintendo machine will have a revolutionary modem technology that will allow for voice chat, online gaming the whole shebang! Nintendo is planning a full online strategy that will be announced as part of its next generation console unveiling which we are hearing will take place sooner rather than later!

http://general.gamerfeed.com/gf/features/381/

Holy shit if that is true. Not gonna happen though :(

Sho Nuff

Banned
Well, this certainly contradicts the previous article, "Nintendo Being Lazy-Asses and Not Caring about Revolution"

"I am hearing that the system will have Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Metroid and Star Fox games as well as a few other high-profile games ready to ship at launch."

There's no way this is going to happen. They'd hurt themself by doing this. If they have all those games ready for around launch (which is doubtful) it's much better to launch one every other month.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Slo said:
Did online gaming just become important to the people on this forum?

I sooooooooo wished I asked one of the mods to archive the "who cares about online gaming" thread pre-NEO Gaf

8bit

Knows the Score
I think downright lies are more likely.

http://rumorengine.com/games/rumors/839315257

Nintendo will reveal details of "the 4th pillar" aka revolution during the space jam sessions in Japan in late September.

The machine will be able to wirelessly connect to Star Road(Nintendo's online service that was supposed to work with the cube), and download any Nintendo game for a nominal cost. This will also allow wireless online play for every Nintendo game that ever supported 2 players.

AirBrian

We have also learned that the new Nintendo machine will have a revolutionary modem technology that will allow for voice chat, online gaming the whole shebang! Nintendo is planning a full online strategy that will be announced as part of its next generation console unveiling which we are hearing will take place sooner rather than later!
As in May 2005 @ E3?

teiresias

So within a year we can expect Nintenbots to be going around claiming Nintendo invented Ethernet and broadband??

ge-man

You can smell the bullshit a mile away. No way Nintendo launches with damn near every worthwhile IP they have. And don't get me started on the specs--how cheap will it be to use 15 GB harddrives for instance?

madara

"Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Metroid and Star Fox games as well as a few other high-profile games ready to ship at launch"

LOL every stink'n time new nintendo is coming I swear.

lets remember, people were saying the same kind of things about Dolphin before it launched. Rumors this early on very rarely pan out, and are usually bullshit.

Lisa Lashes said:
That article is nothing more than a fanboy's wet dream.

Exactly ... just like this ...

DOA Pillow ... Where's The N Love?
Nintendo fans like speciality items two. It's is short and its' to the point. But for those that don't not know, Awhile ago Tecmo announced it would be releasing a special Kazumi pillow with the Xbox hardware bundle in Japan. We the undersigned, Nintendo fans, want a Zelda and Peach pillow. Nintendo rules Japan with a kirby fist, and as such we want to be able to show our affection to Zelda and Peach like Xbox fans can to Kasumi. So make your voice heard Nintendo fans!

http://tendomfg.blogspot.com/

Now THAT's creepy.

Ranger X

If EVERYTHING of that is true, Nintendo could secure themselve a comfortable second place in the next gen. But let me tell you that we would be in a very lucky world...

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Yes, these rumors are bull. But if Nintendo released several of its key franchises within 3 months of launch (Mario game, Luigi game, Pilotwings, Mario Kart, Smash, and Metroid) it would not hurt them, especially if they intended on focusing on new/original franchises later in the systems life to attract new fans. Besides, even if they did that they would still have Starfox, Fzero, Zelda, Mario Party, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Earthbound, Pikmin, and a bevy of other franchises to pull from for the remainder of the system's life.

Such a move would immediately rally all of their existing fanbase behind them. Nintendo really stumbled with the GC launch. When all of their previous sytems came out they shipped with at least 1 must have title. That really wasn't the case with GC. For me, the GC was the first Nintendo system since the NES that I did not buy at launch.

The launch image defines a system so it is best for Nintendo if they come out with their guns blazing. Releasing the franchises several months apart no longer creates any significant boost in sales, so they might as well "blow their load" at launch and leave a good impression. Afterall, the longer those games are on store shelves, the more they will sell. And the faster they become Player's Choice titles the more attractive their next system will become for people who are on the fence.

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
8bit said:
Nintendo will reveal details of "the 4th pillar" aka revolution during the space jam sessions in Japan in late September.

004.jpg

Star Road is a cute name for a Nintendo online service, though.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Wow, this reminds me of how Gamecube launched with 5 Retro titles, Eternal Darkness, Star Fox Adventures, Soul Calibur 2 (exclusive), Sonic Adventure 2, Mario and online support. Oh wait, it didn't.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
1. There's no Nintendo franchise that has any real leverage these days. The mascot thing is dead and has been since the Dreamcast.

2. Nintendo needs to re-find their niche. Gamers are older now. Clinging onto the glory years of their 8-bit and (arguably) 16-bit dominance is silly.

3. The Gamecube has a lot of life left.

olimario

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
1. There's no Nintendo franchise that has any real leverage these days. The mascot thing is dead and has been since the Dreamcast.

So Smash Bros. Melee sold 3+ million because of something else?
Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker broke 2 million worldwide based soley on their gameplay?

Mascot thing is still alive and kicking.

element

8bit said:
I think downright lies are more likely.

http://rumorengine.com/games/rumors/839315257

The machine will be able to wirelessly connect to Star Road(Nintendo's online service that was supposed to work with the cube), and download any Nintendo game for a nominal cost. This will also allow wireless online play for every Nintendo game that ever supported 2 players.
I've actually heard this from numerous sources, accept not wirelessly.

alejob

teiresias said:
So within a year we can expect Nintenbots to be going around claiming Nintendo invented Ethernet and broadband??

Well, didn't they?:)

Xerox invented Ethernet if I remember correctly.

But rumble, controller analogue sticks, etc..?

JC10001 said:
Yes, these rumors are bull. But if Nintendo released several of its key franchises within 3 months of launch (Mario game, Luigi game, Pilotwings, Mario Kart, Smash, and Metroid) it would not hurt them, especially if they intended on focusing on new/original franchises later in the systems life to attract new fans. Besides, even if they did that they would still have Starfox, Fzero, Zelda, Mario Party, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Earthbound, Pikmin, and a bevy of other franchises to pull from for the remainder of the system's life.

Such a move would immediately rally all of their existing fanbase behind them. Nintendo really stumbled with the GC launch. When all of their previous sytems came out they shipped with at least 1 must have title. That really wasn't the case with GC. For me, the GC was the first Nintendo system since the NES that I did not buy at launch.

The launch image defines a system so it is best for Nintendo if they come out with their guns blazing. Releasing the franchises several months apart no longer creates any significant boost in sales, so they might as well "blow their load" at launch and leave a good impression. Afterall, the longer those games are on store shelves, the more they will sell. And the faster they become Player's Choice titles the more attractive their next system will become for people who are on the fence.

IAWTP

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.

The game is just good. The characters are a bonus. Even still, I bet you the majority of Zelda, SMS, Zelda, Metorid owners had those games on the NES.

jarrod

Banned
olimario said:
Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker broke 2 million worldwide based soley on their gameplay?

Actually, SSBM is well past 4M and SMS/TWW each past 3 million. :)

What I'd personally like to see around Revolution's fall 2006 launch...

-Super Mario 128 (EAD)
-Pikmin 3 (EAD)
-New Wave Race (Amusment Vision)
-New PilotWings (Factor 5)
-New Smash Bros (HAL Labs)
-3rd person Metroid (Retro)

...that'd make a varied, well rounded, bankable launch period library. And it'd still save Nintendo's other big hitters (Zelda, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Pokemon) for the following years.

Greekboy

Banned
olimario said:

But how many copies did SM64 and Z:OoT sell respectively? Granted more N64 consoles were sold but using Mario and Link aren't the best examples IMO.

Top Bottom