• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo World Championships: NES Edition |OT| NES Remix Remix

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
VNRqtH.gif

Test your speed running skills across more than 150 challenging moments from 13 classic NES™ games! Compete against players around the world online, challenge your friends on the couch, or try to see how far you can push your personal bests.

Do you have what it takes to be a champion? The tougher challenges may truly test your limits!

Featured Games:
  • Balloon Fight
  • Donkey Kong
  • Excitebike
  • Ice Climber
  • Kid Icarus
  • Kirby's Adventure
  • Metroid
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Trailer

Digital Edition: $29.99
aa0f9e570ce4b3907d2544376d1da43959e4bf0a7825e1377376a448f41b24e0

Physical Edition: $59.99
6583885cv11d.jpg;maxHeight=2000;maxWidth=2000

Japan Physical Edition: ¥8527
81T490VGbuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

tumblr_p2mpzuuvyJ1we0p6lo1_500.gif

Thread title courtesy of Mitch Hedberg
vAYG5hK.png

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Oh, it’s only $30? I could have sworn the digital version was $50. I’ll probably actually get this for $30. I wanna see if I can Wrong Warp in Mario 3 lol.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Oh, it’s only $30? I could have sworn the digital version was $50. I’ll probably actually get this for $30. I wanna see if I can Wrong Warp in Mario 3 lol.
Yep only $30 for the digital edition. $60 if you want the fake NES cartridge, pins, and postcards.

I'll probably pick up the digital edition myself - and try to double-dip on that sweet Japanese physical version with the famicom joycons.

From what I've heard, Survival Mode is playing against ghost data online (not against players in realtime). There's a mode called World Championships where five challenges rotate weekly for online leaderboards. There's also a video that shows the CPU completing each objective at every stage selection screen and you can hold a button to fast forward through it to the end. The main mode is called Speedrun Mode, but the challenges are laughably simple, even in the hardest difficulties.

Example challenges of two hardest difficulties (spoilers);

A Master difficulty objective (4/5 difficulty stars) for Legend of Zelda has you start at the beginning spawn area and enter the first dungeon (literally go up, right, up, up, up, left). As if this wasn't easy enough, the game superimposes arrows on the edge of the screen to show you where to go while you play.

A Master difficulty objective (4/5 difficulty stars) for Legend of Zelda has you start at the the dungeon 6 dragon boss. All you have to do is run up to it and spam stab for an A+ rating (yeah, there's S rankings, but still).

The only Legend difficulty challenge objective (5/5 difficulty stars) for Legend of Zelda has you clear the first dungeon, spawning at entrance. The menu screen before starting provides an image overhead view of the each room with optimal routes to take. It's a shame there aren't more challenges like this and it takes a while to grind the coins to unlock this challenge, but only provides like a minute and a half to two minutes of entertainment.

Game also renders in a small 25% window on the left region of the screen, even on first playthrough and when playing alone, reserving the right side of the screen for your previous personal best attempts in a ghost replay.

Old man rant: My initial impressions are that the game is a turd for the mainstream. Where's the Mike Tyson/Mr. Dream challenge? Next time they should put Miyamoto in charge of this, lock him in a room with speedrunners that know a real challenge and have him chain smoke cigarettes so he remembers how hard games were supposed to be in his hayday.

I imagine this will appeal more to the younger demographic that has never played these titles, or older folks who aren't hardcore gamers but would just like to replay NES games in a quick pick-up fashion since most challenges appear very simple (walk your sprite somewhere or collect an item) and take anywhere from 5-30 seconds. Offline party mode seems like a cool idea since you're all playing simultaneously in a split screen with up to 8 players.

The emulation scene needs to get on this sort of thing and make their own version of it.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
This is completely different from NES Remix, and seriously disappointing at first.

Differently from NR, the challenges are a bit more open-ended (eg, in Zelda you get missions spanning multiple screens), but the timings for S rank are absolutely bonkers. Jumping on the first Paratroopa in The Lost Levels can’t possibly be done more quickly than I managed to - there’s no time to do anything else, and I literally got the same exact time thrice in a row. I guess there’s exactly one millisecond I have to shave off to get a S. Crazy and uninviting.

There’s also a lot less content than in NR, and much fewer games.
It’s clear that the main draw here is the online, and the horrendous grind to get points to unlock all the badges.
I really don’t get who this is actually for. It’s not even remotely as good an introduction to NES classics as NR, which had much more content. I don’t see casuals wasting too much time here, so this is pretty much for the old-school competitively obsessed and dedicated speedrunners. I expected so much more.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
All the reviewers were complaining that there were NO leaderboards .....at all. Even no friends leaderboards........which is the WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME!!

BUT, I was thinking that they are all just entitled reviewers who got the game early and were bitching about something that may be there when the game actually launches. Doesn't seem right that they would open the leaderboards early for the reviewers.

So, my copy is coming late tomorrow (thanks Gamestop). Can anyone who has this already (on launch day) confirm if there IS or is NOT any online leaderboards, now that the game has officially launched for the mainstream?

ManaByte

So, my copy is coming late tomorrow (thanks Gamestop). Can anyone who has this already (on launch day) confirm if there IS or is NOT any online leaderboards, now that the game has officially launched for the mainstream?

Launch day is tomorrow. Mine is coming from BB.

All the reviewers were complaining that there were NO leaderboards .....at all. Even no friends leaderboards........which is the WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME!!

BUT, I was thinking that they are all just entitled reviewers who got the game early and were bitching about something that may be there when the game actually launches. Doesn't seem right that they would open the leaderboards early for the reviewers.

Reviews have already confirmed the lack of online leaderboards. I had already assumed it didn't have them since there was never a mention of them. That's why it's imho a disappointing game lacking even the usual bare minimum features. Hard pass for me.

Also it comes out today. That's why I never do online pre-orders. If I want a game on release day I buy it digitally or I pre-order physical at Gamestop and go pick it up.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Reviews have already confirmed the lack of online leaderboards. I had already assumed it didn't have them since there was never a mention of them. That's why it's imho a disappointing game lacking even the usual bare minimum features. Hard pass for me.

Also it comes out today. That's why I never do online pre-orders. If I want a game on release day I buy it digitally or I pre-order physical at Gamestop and go pick it up.
What reason would Nintendo not have leaderboards? That rivals MS and every other clusterfuck that has happened this year. How can a game based on speed runs and getting the fastest times, not have a leaderboard.

Maybe it's paid DLC?

What reason would Nintendo not have leaderboards? That rivals MS and every other clusterfuck that has happened this year. How can a game based on speed runs and getting the fastest times, not have a leaderboard.

Maybe it's paid DLC?
Paid DLC? For a basic feature for a low-budget gap filler game like this? :messenger_tears_of_joy:. I'd expect that from some other companies but not Nintendo. As it is this game is significantly lacking in features and content compared to NES Remix from 2013. And didn't NES Remix on Wii U cost like $29.99 on the eShop? And this new one has like literally half of the number of games of the original. It's about as bare-bones as it gets. Maybe it wasn't in development very long, and they just needed to get something out the door in July.

Last edited:

jshackles

World Championship mode has leaderboards, right? This was in the trailer:

BKs3rMN.png

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
This is completely different from NES Remix, and seriously disappointing at first.

Differently from NR, the challenges are a bit more open-ended (eg, in Zelda you get missions spanning multiple screens), but the timings for S rank are absolutely bonkers. Jumping on the first Paratroopa in The Lost Levels can’t possibly be done more quickly than I managed to - there’s no time to do anything else, and I literally got the same exact time thrice in a row. I guess there’s exactly one millisecond I have to shave off to get a S. Crazy and uninviting.

There’s also a lot less content than in NR, and much fewer games.
It’s clear that the main draw here is the online, and the horrendous grind to get points to unlock all the badges.
I really don’t get who this is actually for. It’s not even remotely as good an introduction to NES classics as NR, which had much more content. I don’t see casuals wasting too much time here, so this is pretty much for the old-school competitively obsessed and dedicated speedrunners. I expected so much more.

Well, thanks for saving me the cash dude. Loved the Remixes and was really hoping this was simply more of the same.

Christ why cant they just port those Wii U games :messenger_pouting:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Wow this game sounds like a turd. Maybe I’ll pass on it, even for $30.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Paid DLC? For a basic feature for a low-budget gap filler game like this? :messenger_tears_of_joy:. I'd expect that from some other companies but not Nintendo. As it is this game is significantly lacking in features and content compared to NES Remix from 2013. And didn't NES Remix on Wii U cost like $29.99 on the eShop? And this new one has like literally half of the number of games of the original. It's about as bare-bones as it gets. Maybe it wasn't in development very long, and they just needed to get something out the door in July.
It was a joke...that they would add leaderboards as DLC

Impotaku

This arrived today. had a quick go of all the modes to see what the fuss was about. Yes there seems to be no leaderboards in the sense that you can't look up who is playing or filter out the results to show your friends results. There is a form of leaderboard for the online survival mode though it pulls ghosts from other online players and you have to beat them it then ranks you at the end that's the screen that's shown in a post a bit further up. The world online championship you can't see the results till that contests ends for that particular set of challenges. Seems a bit odd but not something i'm going to have an aspie meltdown over. It's a fun diversion that i can chip away at as it seems there's ways to use glitches to shave valuable seconds off your times.

Def not a game to introduce new players to nes stuff it's clearly made for the generation that grew up with it. The pins in the box set are nice though :)
CErZCOW.jpg

BB7QuDo.jpg

suzkome.jpg

Last edited:

Zannegan

World Championship mode has leaderboards, right? This was in the trailer:

BKs3rMN.png
Leaderboards in one mode is nice, but I wish they were doing actual world championships--track players' performance week to week, root out the cheaters, then invite the top players to submit recorded semifinal performances and then final events. But maybe the gameplay challenges are too shallow to distinguish clear winners.

Last edited:

jshackles

Leaderboards in one mode is nice, but I wish they were doing actual world championships--track players' performance week to week, root out the cheaters, then invite the top players to submit recorded semifinal performances and then final events. But maybe the gameplay challenges are too shallow to distinguish clear winners.
I think that's probably the case. Most of the "challenges" are brain-dead and not at all challenging.

For me, this is more of a couch-coop party game rather than anything serious.

MacReady13

Got my copy yesterday. I love it! Brings me back to my childhood and whilst some of the challenges aren't super hard as I know some of these games back to front, others are kicking my ass! Solid game for me and at only $47 aussie dollars I can't complain too much for my physical copy. Just wish I'd known about that special collectors edition...

nkarafo

Yeah, i'm not sure about this one. All these challenges need precision and fast response times to be on top but the added input lag of online, LCD, etc, will mess up most veterans.

Impotaku

The S rank times don’t mess about. Been grabbing loads but some require godlike frame perfect feats to grab them. Add in the legendary challenges and there’s actually quite a bit of challenge in this the beginning challenges are piss easy but that doesn’t stay that way for long.

So far I’m enjoying the challenge.

Now that it’s out do we know who the developer is? This seems like a bare-bones low-budget effort to fill in the summer release calendar.

Less content and half of the games than NES Remix on Wii U in 2013? No online leaderboards?

Last edited:

Andyliini

Now that it’s out do we know who the developer is? This seems like a bare-bones low-budget effort to fill in the summer release calendar.

Less content and half of the games than NES Remix on Wii U in 2013? No online leaderboards?
IndiesZero is the developer. They also made NES Remix.

Krathoon

Gold Member
The fake cartridge is kind of stupid. They should have gave us a real cartridge with the NES version of the game.

...but that would be too cool.

ManaByte

The S rank times don’t mess about. Been grabbing loads but some require godlike frame perfect feats to grab them. Add in the legendary challenges and there’s actually quite a bit of challenge in this the beginning challenges are piss easy but that doesn’t stay that way for long.

So far I’m enjoying the challenge.

The SMB Legend challenge is the speedrun the whole game.

The fake cartridge is kind of stupid. They should have gave us a real cartridge with the NES version of the game.

...but that would be too cool.

There wasn't a NES version of this and the NES couldn't run it.

The NES World Championship cart was a timed section of three games:

SMB: Get 50 coins.
Rad Racer: Complete the first race.
Tetris: High score in the remaining time.

I doubt they'd ever make a repro cart of that or even officially release the ROM.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
The SMB Legend challenge is the speedrun the whole game.

There wasn't a NES version of this and the NES couldn't run it.

The NES World Championship cart was a timed section of three games:

SMB: Get 50 coins.
Rad Racer: Complete the first race.
Tetris: High score in the remaining time.

I doubt they'd ever make a repro cart of that or even officially release the ROM.
That was what I was talking about. Put the original NES Championship on the cart.

It would not kill them.

ManaByte

That was what I was talking about. Put the original NES Championship on the cart.

It would not kill them.
That was only meant as a prize for the people who won the championships at each city. They wouldn’t give it away to anyone who bought a Switch game.

daffyduck

And the value of the physical carts shouldn’t be diminished by adding the rom to this game. That goes for including the full roms of all the included games.

It’s just Nintendo being Nintendo. “They didn’t know anyone would want it.”

Impotaku

Made reasonable progress still some games i'm a little rusty at as i haven't played them in a long looong time but most are A rank or higher but there's a handful of Bs in there. I suck at kid icarus i'm gonna have to study that challenge guide i think lol. It's a fun quick diversion between other switch games but i can't see it lasting a long time as there's not a huge amount of content besides going after those remaining pins and profile pics. Hardest one to grab is going to be the one you have to get in the top percentage in the world championship mode.
2BTG7Ha.jpg

VcWxMOa.jpg

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
This is seriously one of the worst propositions from Nintendo in a while.

The times for S rank are completely arbitrary, and have nothing to do with skill. Some are very lenient, some others require to shave literal milliseconds off menial and totally un-fun tasks. And some are completely idiotic. The challenges in NES Remix were clearly meant for you to figure out the best pattern, which was obviously always the same. Here? Here you’re tasked with beating the first dungeon in Zelda 1, but the game’s RNG is fully there and it will ruin a lot of otherwise flawless attempts. My best attempt so far had a couple of mistakes, but it’s still my fastest because in the room before the Wall Masters, the Goriyas simply decided to get the fuck out of my way, where in all of my other attempts, they just wouldn’t. The Stalfoses with the keys sometimes will come towards you, but most of the times they will get away from you, making you waste precious seconds.

Some other challenges require no strategy or finesse whatsoever, like the Metroid bosses. Just run into Kraid and spam missiles and pray that they connect quickly enough in the complete mess of a hitfest that ensues. Just horrible.

Advertising this game as a new NES Remix borders on fraud. This is all about challenging other people’s records online, and good luck with that if you’re not a professional speedrunner, with all the package that comes with it.

Makki

Really conflicted about this one. I love the LE goodies but if I cant even play the NES games included as full games then there’s little to no value in limited non-fun speed runs. I think I will return the game

jshackles

I'm also a bit disappointed with this one, despite having pretty high initial hype.

The only part of this game I've really enjoyed was the couch co-op mode - having a few quick challenges where everyone is trying to do the same thing the fastest was quite a bit of fun. But as a single player experience, it's a bit shite. Paying coins to unlock new levels is probably the worst offense here, as some of the levels take 300 coins to unlock. This means you spend a lot of time grinding out coins if you're like me and play a challenge once and get S rank on it, since the amount of coins the game gives you for that isn't typically enough to move on to the next one. It's designed to force you to play some challenges over and over again.

There is a "Legendary" Zelda II challenge where you walk to the right, jump over an enemy, and grab a kid to end the challenge. I can do it in about 18 seconds for an easy S rank victory every time with no RNG, which gives you 60 coins. It's my go-to mission when I need to unlock new stuff. So about half of my single player playtime now has been just pressing right and jumping over an enemy in Zelda II.

Also fuck trying to grind out enough coins to unlock some of those player icons. 3000? GTFO.

ManaByte

Really conflicted about this one. I love the LE goodies but if I cant even play the NES games included as full games then there’s little to no value in limited non-fun speed runs. I think I will return the game

Nintendo was never going to put the full games on there when NSO exists.

Makki

Nintendo was never going to put the full games on there when NSO exists.
They gave us the limited time Mario 64/Sunshine bundle, I had hope for physical. Kinda dumb since I have a NES classic with all games, but it would have been nice to have a cartdrige for the switch

Thaedolus

I should’ve read the impressions before buying this. It’s a ton of fun for an hour or so, but I don’t get why the modes are so limited. I can only S rank the same three levels so many times, and it’s not even tallying my division wins correctly. Both show 1 win and I’ve got like half a dozen each.

This feels sorta like F-Zero 99, but that’s actually competitive but getting boring fast and I paid for it. Also, I swear to god there’s some gnarly input lag…oh and it doesn’t help the pro controller dpad is garbage, or mine is just old

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Anyone got a list of S rank times? I really want to get the Metroid escape but I’m barely able to shave off my time

Top Bottom