• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

Dibbs

Platted it some days ago. Wow, awesome game! I fell down to my knees after clearing the "A meeting on the other shore" mission 😀. Thank god the new missions included in the 1.06 patch arent required for the Samurai of Legend-trophy.

I used the same weapon and strategy for almost every boss. Spear, mid stance, triangle attack and then dodge away, repeat. Never did bother with ki pulses or any other items besides elixirs, bombs and antidotes. No magic, no ninja skills. Never felt the need to as I played each level atleast two times and thus farmed lots of amrita early on. Oh well, time for Nier: Automata!

SephiZack

They told me I could become anything, so I became a Oni-bi

5IH2IXD.gif

Just started this yesterday. Beaten 4 bosses, awesome combat.

Only thing I hate so far is all the shit loot the game throws at you. I just said fuck it and started offering everything that isn't better than what I have equipped.

xuchu

Playing other games just makes me want to come back to Nioh. Even after a 150+ hours, I'm still thinking about it. Making a new STA/STR Yasuke character as you can triple dip on Stamina. It's taken a lot to switch over from the fast katana/dual katana playstyle to axe and I've only got past the first region so it's early days. Love high stance Heaven and Earth and low stance cloud crush throw.

However I find the lack of a kick equivalent, parry and iai-strike equivalent a bit weird. Also the final blow damage seems weak in comparison to swords. Maybe tri-spark will be the ki damaging move I need to satisfy my kick needs and maybe rumbling earth will be a good iai strike alternative.

Any axe playstyle tips?

Late Flag

At one point after the public beta, I was going to pass on this game. At one point, I wasn't sure I would even finish the main quest line. 131 hours and countless deaths later, the platinum is mine. NG+ in particular is really good.

Baalzebup

Fuck. Me.

I am almost halfway through NG+ and only just realised you can scroll down on the skill pages!!!
I was almost shaking my monitor when I watched the Dark Souls streamer Lobos do a stream on the last chance demo and didn't get this until a couple of hours in, but going through the whole game without noticing?!? I just can't.

Freeman76

Alright, I just have a regular divine weapon right now and I'm currently lvl 122. I'm guessing I should just do way of the strong missions?

Yeah keep going with those for a while and upgrade your weapon a bit. You can make those missions a lot more trivial with a bitnof grinding.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I am regularly getting my ass kicked. I think I just suck, lol. I'm pretty sure I don't utilize skills like parrying enough.

Aizo

Banned
I've never played Nioh beyond the demo a few months ago, and I haven't watched anyone play, but I had a dream last night that I played it. I was running down a hill, did a jumping attack, died, and thought "Welp. This game is too hard for me." I stopped playing then. Pretty accurate depiction of me playing, so my dreams even know why I don't own the game.

Drencrom

I've never played Nioh beyond the demo a few months ago, and I haven't watched anyone play, but I had a dream last night that I played it. I was running down a hill, did a jumping attack, died, and thought "Welp. This game is too hard for me." I stopped playing then. Pretty accurate depiction of me playing, so my dreams even know why I don't own the game.

You dreamt of a game you don't own? Sounds to me like you need to get Nioh.

Freeman76

After beating Ringed City from DS3 I'm wanting more. I assume Nioh would be right up that alley?

I think Nioh is a real evolution of the souls formula. While I found DS3 was too much more of the same, DeS and DKS1 are 2 of my favourite games ever and I really dont rate Nioh far behind them. It has a really smart take on a lot of elements that made souls great, and adds IMO more varied and deep combat mechanics to it. Really great game.

chefbags

I am regularly getting my ass kicked. I think I just suck, lol. I'm pretty sure I don't utilize skills like parrying enough.

I don't parry at all lol. Usually for me I stick with timing my dodges and blocks right depending on the stance.

Are there ways to heal besides using elixirs? I usually only have about 30 elixirs on me, so I am very stingy with them.

I never use more than one or two before getting to another shrine, and I don't like to use them on boss fights until I've gotten familiar with the movesets or if I am very close to winning.

Is it intentionally designed that way?

Freeman76

Are there ways to heal besides using elixirs? I usually only have about 30 elixirs on me, so I am very stingy with them.

I never use more than one or two before getting to another shrine, and I don't like to use them on boss fights until I've gotten familiar with the movesets or if I am very close to winning.

I thought there was a max of 8 you can hold?

BigEmil

Rejuvenation talisman spell? It's like a regeneration effect like a hot spa continuous little hp gradual effect

IvorB

I'm counting the ones sitting in my inventory too.

Thanks. I'll check it out. Don't know if I have enough magic though.

Don't need much magic for Rejuvenation and it's a god send. That said, I haven't bothered hoarding elixirs in this game. You always get your set amount when you respawn unlike other games *cough* Bloodborne *cough* so I just try to work with what I have.

How does he have over 200 samurai skill points?

xuchu

Why is that spinner losing stamina so slowly?

Stacking close combat ki reduction with close combat ki reduction (critical) and the fanatic set 6 piece bonus of increased special effects while in critical state. He also has the same increased special effects (critical) on both his accessories.

Baalzebup

Stacking close combat ki reduction with close combat ki reduction (critical) and the fanatic set 6 piece bonus of increased special effects while in critical state. He also has the same increased special effects (critical) on both his accessories.
There was also the Skill Ki reduction from the Master Swordsman sets dual swords.

Izuna

Banned
Man, I still haven't had the time to go back to shit game since the 3h I put in after the update ;(

Maybe I'll make a start next week? I don't want to be behind on too much content

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Put the game in today again and damn it's so easy to forget how amazingly fun this game is when so many other games are released and some of them just staying with you more cause of their story. I'm still mulling over Nier:A.
That said I hope this game doesn't get forgotten towards the end of the year. It's such pure fun and that's worth something too.
That said damn. I totally forgot how to play this game too :-x gotta shake of some rust before the DLC drops.
I think I'm just going to finish up all the titles for the practice.

Lol that spinner build. 3 minutes seems reasonable I've been a bit concerned with the nerf I've been reading about but it seems the builds are generally still usable? Just not as ridiculous anymore.

Kalentan

I have to fight Hino-Enma again for one of the sub missions and ugh... She really is just the goddamn worst boss. It feels like they played bloodborne and took all of the wrong things away from it and made Hino.

High Speed, High Damage, Little to No Wind up, and LOTS AND LOTS of tracking. Also even if you have low stance on, you most likely will get hit by her attacks cause they lunge her forward or track towards you...

Just... Such a bad fight.

Freeman76

I have to fight Hino-Enma again for one of the sub missions and ugh... She really is just the goddamn worst boss. It feels like they played bloodborne and took all of the wrong things away from it and made Hino.

High Speed, High Damage, Little to No Wind up, and LOTS AND LOTS of tracking. Also even if you have low stance on, you most likely will get hit by her attacks cause they lunge her forward or track towards you...

Just... Such a bad fight.

Once you get her dow she is a lot of fun to fight.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah... No. She's never fun to fight. There is nothing to learn. She's pure bullshit. It's telling that no boss after her, outside maybe the Umi-bozu is as hard as her.

Well obviously you can learn not to get hit. I've done that. Def one of the easier bosses especially for no hit challenges. There are other bosses that are quite a bit harder.

Freeman76

Yeah... No. She's never fun to fight. There is nothing to learn. She's pure bullshit. It's telling that no boss after her, outside maybe the Umi-bozu is as hard as her.

Sounds like she got to you. She is a lot easier than a lot of other bosses once you learn how to fight her.

Kalentan

Sounds like she got to you. She is a lot easier than a lot of other bosses once you learn how to fight her.

I find that hard to believe cause a lot of of the other bosses are far fairer than her. I'm nearing the end of the game and I have a hard time believing this.

She is simply a boss with bad design.

Top Bottom