• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No HDD support for redesigned PS2

Mashing

I could have figured as much just by looking at it... doesn't even look like a laptop drive could fit in that thing.

Razoric

Banned
So is it safe to say the HDD is a complete and utter failure? Or is Sony still pushing the PS2 to be the central entertainment hub in the living room? :lol

"DOWNLOAD MUSIC, MOVIES, GAMES!"

Razoric said:
So is it safe to say the HDD is a complete and utter failure? Or is Sony still pushing the PS2 to be the central entertainment hub in the living room? :lol

"DOWNLOAD MUSIC, MOVIES, GAMES!"

Old news is still just as fun to bash as new news!!!

No, but people were floating the idea that there might be some external dock that plugs into the PSlim2 to use the drive.

So, no go. Sony says the Atkins-friendly PS2 is aimed at new customers only who wouldn't seek the HDD anyways.

Scoobert

mightynine said:
No, but people were floating the idea that there might be some external dock that plugs into the PSlim2 to use the drive.

So, no go. Sony says the Atkins-friendly PS2 is aimed at new customers only who wouldn't seek the HDD anyways.

And aren't they discontinuing the previous model? So what if I'm a new customer who wants HDD support? I guess I'm not hardcore enough for Sony then because I would have owned one already, huh? :insert rolleyes here:

Dammit, wheres the rollseyes icon?

mightynine said:
Sony says the Atkins-friendly PS2 is aimed at new customers only who wouldn't seek the HDD anyways.

I've gotta see some official Sony word on what the deal is. Clearly they've got to address is. And no, I have no hope that it will be rescued, but on what authority are you making these statements? We went over this ad naseum two days ago, so unless you're brining something new to the table, either an interview w/ Sony or some other sources that have actually spoken with Sony, I don't see the point.

I am waiting to see how they can justify it.

Scoobert said:
And aren't they discontinuing the previous model? So what if I'm a new customer who wants HDD support? I guess I'm not hardcore enough for Sony then because I would have owned one already, huh? :insert rolleyes here:

Dammit, wheres the rollseyes icon?

My guess is they're not discontinuing the model bundled with the network adaptor.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
It's just a way to get people to buy both a PS2 and a smaller PS2. Increase revenue, increase user base #'s

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Memory cards???

i think the only option Sony would have would be to go for a USB drive. Unfortunately, the USB ports are still USB 1, which wouldn't be fast enough.

Ah well.

DarienA said:
Memory cards folks... memory cards... <lips sealed>

Well, BENKE already told us they were going to up it to 64MB, so it would seem very strange to offer 64MB, 256MB, 1GB, etc, which would be the only way to even come close to HDD storage levels.

And again, if you give people the option, they'll inevitably get the cheapest and that makes it very tough for publishers to try and gamble that there'll be enough users to justify enabling games to use higher capacity media.

Basically, the problem the HDD had anyway, but multiplied.

Hellraizah said:
What about progressive scan DVD playback ?

I'm sure that's part of the firmware as it is with the current model. We know that it's got the IR port, so the current DVD remote should be fine as well, including the power on option, altough I doubt it will automatically pop-up the disc loading cover.

Arcticfox

I don't understand why this is such a big issue. If you want to play FFXI, you have no reason to not have the HD already, and if you don't want to play it there is no good reason to have one (beyond HDLoader which I doubt Sony likes). If more games were using it I could see the reason to be upset, but it became obvious that Sony was telling developers to stop using the HD at least a year ago when sequels to games with HD support (in Japan) didn't use it.

If you read between the lines they announced the end of the hard drive back at E3, yet they still talked about downloadable content for GT4. Sony must have something up their sleaves (and hopefully it is not just a Memory Stick adapter).

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Does anyone know the transfer speed of the memory card port on the PS2? Or if Sony upgraded the USB ports on the new slim PS2 to be 2.0?

WarPig

sonycowboy said:
I've gotta see some official Sony word on what the deal is. Clearly they've got to address is. And no, I have no hope that it will be rescued, but on what authority are you making these statements? We went over this ad naseum two days ago, so unless you're brining something new to the table, either an interview w/ Sony or some other sources that have actually spoken with Sony, I don't see the point.

I am waiting to see how they can justify it.

Sony's comment on the future of the HDD, such as it is:

http://appsrv-3.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3134798

That came from SCEA, though, so who really knows what the deal is.

DFS.

Subitai

sonycowboy said:
Weak. So it's pretty clear that no HDD of any kind will be released for the new PS2 and thus it is as dead as disco. Higher Capacity memory cards just won't cut it.
I don't know.

Do that many buyers want the HDD? Do most have them now?

WarPig

sonycowboy said:
Weak. So it's pretty clear that no HDD of any kind will be released for the new PS2 and thus it is as dead as disco. Higher Capacity memory cards just won't cut it.

More or less, I guess. It's not like supporting the HDD benefits SCE at all -- it took God only knows how much hassle to get them to bring the thing out in the states, and none of their own games support it except for Minna no Golf, which has a steady audience that isn't going anywhere.

There's the SOCOM II downloadable content, but I'm sure the bosses over in Japan don't give a rat's ass for SOCOM.

DFS.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
So I guess this pretty much means Sony is giving up on HD support? Wonder if there's going to be anymore games released after this new model comes out that use the HD at all.

Well you've got to figure there are some 70 million systems out there already that are compatible with the HDD. So I think the bigger issue is really that people don't want to buy the HDD, not that they won't be able to buy the HDD for future systems.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Screw it, I like the new model better and I have no use for their HDD. It's had no good use yet outside of piracy. Supposedly there's finally Socom content, but the game's been out nearly a year. They never had any real plan besides FF Online anyway, and I for one have zero interest in that sort of thing. This is a non-issue to a lot less "hardcore" gamers than me. You think people are going to stop buying the PS2 because it looks better, runs quieter and takes less space but doesn't use the HDD? Nuh-uh.

Wait for the PS3.

Pachinko

Yeah , it's a vicious cycle of non sales. If you own a current model PS2, and there are atleast 50 million of you out there then chances are you'd have picked up an HD if you really wanted one. The crux comes when joe gamer doesn't want to play ffxi, he has no choice and thinks it's a waste, also he notes that there are very few games compatible with the hard drive , companies who make joe gamers favorite games see this as well and decide not to bother making more HD compatible games which only fuels more joe gamers out there to see the whole product has a waste.

As for square enix, FFXI has seen all the sales I think it will get , and thus that core audience are the only ones who will bother to buy expansion packs. FFXI is also out on PC if you do still want to play it if you haven't bothered to buy a PS2 yet. The current budget systems available at finer electronics stores everwhere these days have enough processing muscle to handle the game as well so really, the PS2 HDD is rendered completly useless. Maybe next time sony.. maybe next time.

cvxfreak

FortNinety said:
I've got to wonder how Square-Enix feels about this.

Unless Final Fantasy XIII is alienated by the move, I doubt it'll do too much, but I'm sure SE aren't happy regardless.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Sure the USB ports are not 2.0?"

yes. Absolutely sure.

I wonder if they might try and alter things?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I skipped out on the version 50001 PS2 that came out a few months ago waiting for this. But if it won't work with my HDD, then wtf is the point? Blah.

Top Bottom