• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No |OT| For the Deadliest Warrior XBLA?

Tokubetsu

The game's up on the marketplace and decided to give a try "just cause." Surprise! It plays like Bushido Blade. It's 800 pts as well so I'm debating picking it up instead of DeathSpank.

I was surprised to see it had a higher star rating on the marketplace (and also about 4000 more votes) than Deathspank. I haven't tried either yet but that was interesting to see. I expected a single or two stars.

Tokubetsu

If you were a fan of Bushido Blade, definitely check this out. It's more violent (you can be decapitated etc) but it basically plays the same. Quick deaths, parrying etc.

Phloxy

Love this game, the Apache was rolling towards me as I threw a spear, went right through his forehead and instant death not even 4 seconds into the fight. Awesome.

Gowans

Phloxy said:
Love this game, the Apache was rolling towards me as I threw a spear, went right through his forehead and instant death not even 4 seconds into the fight. Awesome.
I wagon skip but guess I'll need to check out the demo now.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Tokubetsu said:
If you were a fan of Bushido Blade, definitely check this out. It's more violent (you can be decapitated etc) but it basically plays the same. Quick deaths, parrying etc.
It looked more like the BB spin-off called Kengo. Are the one hit kills still in it?

Jube3

Wow, the xbla trailer did this no justice it seems. I'm hearing a lot of positives. Will have to check it out.

19Kilo

Tokubetsu said:

Ok, I've held off on DeathSpank until I can check this out...

Tokubetsu

Jube3 said:
Wow, the xbla trailer did this no justice it seems. I'm hearing a lot of positives. Will have to check it out.

Yea, it's not the prettiest game but it's fun. To the dude who brought up Kengo, I don't know. I don't remember ever playing Kengo.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Tokubetsu said:
Yea, it's not the prettiest game but it's fun. To the dude who brought up Kengo, I don't know. I don't remember ever playing Kengo.
That's probably for the better. I blanked out most of it as well. It had lifebars.

Plissken

I had completely written this game off as soon as I heard of it, I figured it'd be another in the long line of crap licensed titles. But the mention of it being similar to Bushido Blade piques my interest, I'll check out the demo when I get home tonight.

Tokubetsu

SapientWolf said:
That's probably for the better. I blanked out most of it as well. It had lifebars.

This has a lifebar too but it doesn't really matter. Like 3 hits and and it's gone anyway :lol It's pretty much just there for you to freak out OH SHIT I SHOULD BE ROLLING AWAY AAGH SPEAR IN THE FACE

For some more detail, you get to pick weapons and presumambly armor in the full game. Ninjas for example, can get the ninjato or kusaragi. Y is high attack (head), X is mid (body) and a is low. B is a ranged attack (Spear for Spartans and Shurikens for ninjas). both RT and LT are guards and RB is your warriors "signature" attack. With ninjas thats a big roundhouse kick. I actually opened up the spartans guard one round with it and proceeded to cut off his shield arm, winning the fight :D .

Phloxy

Their is lifebars, but you can end any fight with one blow. and in the trial the default difficulty is very hard so, go to options and adjust. Even has tournament modes over xbox live, and so far not much lag. Solid product and at the magical 800 points price. Good stuff.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
people should know that when they start a thread saying "there's no official thread", they're actually making the official thread.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
The game is definitely hard but is pretty fun. I wish the demo included Training mode so I could see if I'll be able to pick it up better. I'm pretty likely to end up buying it though. I hope they do good things with the DLC they've mentioned.

mujun

This is like the second game (first was Duke Nukem on XBLA) that is ip locked for people in Japan. I can't even download it using my U.S or English accounts on Live :(

Played the demo. It's interesting and seems alright, but also...spartan. But then I remember it's a $10 fighting game. The whole show is basically about weapons slicing, crushing and piercing things in slow motion, so the lack of replays is a weird omission I hope they'll mend with a patch though.

How are you supposed to aim javelins and such? Got a one hit kill 2 seconds into the round once, which was sweet, but most of the time if it hits it hits the general torso area (and sticks out of it).

Think I'll take the plunge, I like more methodical stuff. Also vikings.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Phloxy said:
Their is lifebars, but you can end any fight with one blow. and in the trial the default difficulty is very hard so, go to options and adjust. Even has tournament modes over xbox live, and so far not much lag. Solid product and at the magical 800 points price. Good stuff.
That's all I needed to know. I'll queue up the game now.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Edit: Never mind found a character list.

The Apache, Knight, Ninja, Pirate, Samurai, Spartan and Viking from season one are playable. The Roman Centurion from season two will also be playable, with more characters to be added as the series progresses.

I really want to see matchups between the Viking and and Knight, sounds like a good one. Also how are people doing the single blow kills?

AndyD

aka andydumi
In the developer interview he said fights last 30-45 seconds, like in real life. Nice.

They should have left out the life bars though. Unneccessary.

Tokubetsu

VibratingDonkey said:
This is Sparta! *javelin through head*
Those things are ridiculous.

Yea, I was fighting the viking and decided to roll away from an incoming attack. He ended up spearing me through head for an instant win =/

Speevy

Banned
It's cool that they FINALLY made a game like this for current consoles, but I'm sorry, it's terrible.

Movement doesn't work when you want it to, there's too little content, framerate is erratic, environments consist of maybe 4 or 5 stages.

I mean yeah, it's 10 bucks, but if you told me this was an Indie game I'd believe you.

Don't waste your money.

I wouldn't call it a great game. You can sense the budget. It is rather sparse, the whole thing looks a bit shabby, sometimes you get stuttering and slowdown. The matchmaking seems rather crap. Search, join, failed to join, repeat 3-10 times. Creating your own match seems to be a better alternative than the alleged Quick Play option.

But I'm having fun with it. More than enough to justify the price.

I too would not call the game great. But it definately is much better than terrible. Its a 7/10 and worth the money if you want something Bushido Blade-ish.

Definately better than the MK games we have had in the past years.:lol

This game is awesome. Especially when you get your arm chopped off and are bleeding out but still manage to lop someones head off for the win with a cunt hair of life remaining.

Moments like that happen frequently. And then there are times when 2 heavily armored warriors are facing off and it's hard to get a blow in on either side.

Jube3

Tokubetsu said:
Yea, I was fighting the viking and decided to roll away from an incoming attack. He ended up spearing me through head for an instant win =/

Bwuahha I caught you with like 3 of those last night, that will show your ninja. /ignores the 50 other loses I had vs you lol

The game is pretty cool, I would love to see a fleshed out retail version of this game maybe one with more players (2v2)? It reminds me, for some weird reason, more of Mount and Blade than bushido blade. Fatalities are cool, limbs decapitation AND hurt limbs are awesome. Having to leave a room to change characters is a bummer, but instant rematch is great to have.

I'm having trouble deciding if its my fault that the parrying isn't working as I feel it should, might just be that I suck at it though.

How are tournaments supposed to work? Joined one, shot a ninja in the face, the guy quit and I got kicked back to the main menu. If there were other opponents in the tournament it's pretty stupid that I got kicked. If he was the only opponent that's also pretty stupid.

Won my first ranked fight against an Apache though. Hurray. But winning with the pirate feels a bit cheesy (as does losing against one). You've basically got unlimited long range projectiles with the granados, so it makes sense to take advantage of that. Maybe more skilled players know how to deal with the running around dropping bombs tactic, but yeah, feels cheesy.

If you love the show (like I do) you will love this game, yeah it has flaws and yes Its a budget titel.
But that does not mean its bad or that it is not worth your money.

Everybody should at least check out the trailer/demo

VibratingDonkey said:
How are tournaments supposed to work? Joined one, shot a ninja in the face, the guy quit and I got kicked back to the main menu. If there were other opponents in the tournament it's pretty stupid that I got kicked. If he was the only opponent that's also pretty stupid.
Has happened two times out of two now. People online are lil bitches, making tournaments utterly pointless. Pretty stupid oversight by the developer.

edit
Ok, so apparently a "Tournament" in this game means a five round battle. I wager the people who quit are trying to get the "win 25 tournaments" achievement.

Jube3

If you win a tournament match you go to the semis next time you join a tournament if yo win that it's on to the finals. I love this game, tons of rage quitters ATM though. If anyone is up for some matches let me know gt ayo jube.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Kabuki Waq said:
I too would not call the game great. But it definately is much better than terrible. Its a 7/10 and worth the money if you want something Bushido Blade-ish.

Definately better than the MK games we have had in the past years.:lol
I checked this game out over the weekend, and I don't think Bushido Blade is a good comparison. I just don't get the impression that the weapons are game world objects with their own physics. Even Bushido Blade 2 is more realistic, and BB purists consider that game to be too arcadey. It's really closer to Kengo.

Captain N

I have an interview with the team behind this game next week. Does anyone have any questions they want asked?

I'll also be giving away download codes next week.

Anyone else having trouble getting the tournament achievement? No matter what I do everytime I win a tournament, it only counts as a ranked match win. I've tried hosting with all the different options and still no luck. Also tried joining other peoples matches and still no luck.

Edit: So basically you have to win 3 tournament matches consecutively.

Captain N said:
I have an interview with the team behind this game next week. Does anyone have any questions they want asked?

DLC content and pricing.

Bleepey

Captain N said:

Please do not start any shit without me being online. If there's a raffle put me down now just in case!

Captain N

Thanks for some ideas on the questions! The interview is being recorded next Thursday we you've still got some time.

Top Bottom