• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Carolina GOP Brags About How Few Black People Were Able to Vote Early

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strike

Just another play out of the old GOP playbook. This is why they should be held to a few elected positions as possible. Get out there and vote.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Anyone in NC with any decency needs to get out and vote and teach the GOP a lesson.

Absolute wankers.

Korey

Aain, the DNC could do that, but they made a name for themselves by being committed to being good people. It's one of the reasons I love the party. It and it's members are far mor willing to reach across the aisle and work with the enemy than the GOP are.

This is why Democrats in general are so held back.

For some reason, our leaders keep trying to "reach across the aisle" while the GOP play hardball 100% of the time. That's why we have gerrymandering, no Supreme Court justice appointment, all this voter suppression shit, etc.

Everyone's lives would be so much better if Democrats would learn to stop doing that and play by the same rules as the GOP.

NHXp4.gif

I'm surprised USA doesn't make those kind of racist practices that specifically target black people illegal. Isn't there a point where federal takes over state when it comes to dangerous issues like this? Or are states their own little countries with no oversight forever?

Piecake

I'm surprised USA doesn't make those kind of racist practices that specifically target black people illegal. Isn't there a point where federal takes over state when it comes to dangerous issues like this? Or are states their own little countries with no oversight forever?

The Supreme Court decided to gut the Voting Rights Act pretty recently because they thought racism wasn't a problem anymore, or some such nonsense.

And the courts did find what NC did to be racist and illegal and pushed back on a lot of what they tried to do, but apparently some of the stuff was decided that some of it wasn't racist and illegal.

America. You have shamed democracy. It's been beaten, knocked out, kicked when down and then urinated on during this election. What the hell do you think other nations think. China can't possibly consider democracy to be a good thing with all the shit going down over there.

The land of the free. Hmmmmm, am sad to think that this is in fact a lie.
You're thinking of the English version of the word Democracy instead of the American one

You're thinking of the English version of the word Democracy instead of the American one

We do have our problems I agree. And I understand that my comments are pretty strong and won't win many friends, but the point is just. The thing is what democracy needs is honesty.

Like I said this vote needs to be respected. I voted to remain in brexit, but I respect the result. To be fair I am annoyed with all this nonsense were going through and voting on the deal. The choice was made respect it.

Even with all the disinformation and fear, it was possible to get a reasoned argument and it was possible to vote with the facts. We had our problems. Every election in the world does.

What is wrong is setting the stage that the vote is fixed by claiming it was rigged with a bent media, denying or making voting harder for people for whatever reason.

I hope it works out over there, we need America to be great. To show that democracy is something to believe in and trust.

I wrote my post after listening to the today programme on bbc radio 4 this am, and heard that in China they are reporting on this election as a reason not to choose democracy. Madness!

The Supreme Court decided to gut the Voting Rights Act pretty recently because they thought racism wasn't a problem anymore, or some such nonsense.

And the courts did find what NC did to be racist and illegal and pushed back on a lot of what they tried to do, but apparently some of the stuff was decided that some of it wasn't racist and illegal.

What the hell, that's infuriating. They need to fight back more.

This is why Democrats in general are so held back.

For some reason, our leaders keep trying to "reach across the aisle" while the GOP play hardball 100% of the time. That's why we have gerrymandering, no Supreme Court justice appointment, all this voter suppression shit, etc.

Everyone's lives would be so much better if Democrats would learn to stop doing that and play by the same rules as the GOP.

NHXp4.gif
Yep.

Xe4

Banned
Reaching across the aisle doesn't work and hinders our progress. It's how we got a watered down healthcare bill and a politicized FBI. Those days are done.
We got a watered down Healthcare bill because of Lieberman. The FBI was fine until the whole Hillary email schenanigans.

There's nothing wrong with working across the aisle. People did it for years. It only stopped because of how insane the GOP became. I wouldn't want the DNC to become just as crazy. Nor would most democrats, who favor bipartisanship over purity of beleifs.

This is why 9
Democrats in general are so held back.

NHXp4.gif
I don't want to play by the rules of the GOP, nor do most democrats. They're selfish pricks, who care more about pissing contests and purity tests than the future of our country. The DNC has made a name for itself by being the responsible party, I wouldn't want to see that change.

No doubt we have to be stronger in our conventions, but to go out and be full on humongous assholes like the GOP??? Fuck that, that's not a party I want to be a part of.

mclem

Trump and the GOP claims the election is rigged: of course it is. They rigged it. Gerrymandering and blocking people to vote is rigging. Hopefully it won't keep them from losing.

It's amusing that if you dig deep, their rhetoric about rigging boils down to "She must be rigging things, because she's overwhelming all our rigging!"

slit

Having elected our first black president has really shed a light on how little major segments of our society have progressed and changed since the civil rights era.

The NC GOP is disgusting. But the Democratic Party of NC is not. They're good people, nd good people help out even bad people when they're down on their luck.

The democratic party had no illusion that his would suddenly make the NC GOP a more welcoming party.

Good people put bad people in jail.

America. You have shamed democracy. It's been beaten, knocked out, kicked when down and then urinated on during this election. What the hell do you think other nations think. China can't possibly consider democracy to be a good thing with all the shit going down over there.

The land of the free. Hmmmmm, am sad to think that this is in fact a lie.
This post is hilarious if you imagine Karl Urban's DREDD saying it.

Otherwise it's just pathetic.

kmfdmpig

The voter suppression stuff is clearly awful.
The quote itself seems relatively in line with the happiness about higher than expected Latino turnout in Nevada, the 2012 excitement over higher than usual African-American turnout, etc...

Parties tend to be excited when the demographic groups that support them turn out in higher numbers and either that's OK or it's bad across the board.

It's the steps taken to reduce voting that are the problem. The comments themselves seem fairly innocuous to me.

If we find out that non-college educated white males come out less in Ohio, for example, that will be something that many of us (myself included) are happy about as it will mean Clinton's chances of taking Ohio are higher.

The voter suppression stuff is clearly awful.
The quote itself seems relatively in line with the happiness about higher than expected Latino turnout in Nevada, the 2012 excitement over higher than usual African-American turnout, etc...

Parties tend to be excited when the demographic groups that support them turn out in higher numbers and either that's OK or it's bad across the board.

It's the steps taken to reduce voting that are the problem. The comments themselves seem fairly innocuous to me.

If we find out that non-college educated white males come out less in Ohio, for example, that will be something that many of us (myself included) are happy about as it will mean Clinton's chances of taking Ohio are higher.

The quote specifically states that the low African turnout is due to the parties efforts....

Do no, this is nothing like a white men Ohio not turning up the vote.

kmfdmpig

The quote specifically states that the low African turnout is due to the parties efforts....

Do no, this is nothing like a white men Ohio not turning up the vote.

The article quoted in the OP makes that link. The press release, which is the focus of the article, does not.
http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=f3100bc5464cbba2f472ddf2c&id=e4b9a8fb19

NC still goes blue tonight does it not?
Hopefully. 538, which has been much more pessimistic about Hillary's chances than other predicting sites, has her at a ~55% chance in the state.

The article quoted in the OP makes that link. The press release, which is the focus of the article, does not.
http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=f3100bc5464cbba2f472ddf2c&id=e4b9a8fb19

Hopefully. 538, which has been much more pessimistic about Hillary's chances than other predicting sites, has her at a ~55% chance in the state.

I read the press release just now. You're right, there is nothing in it about voter suppression. The article in the OP seems to be sensational nonsense.

I read the press release just now. You're right, there is nothing in it about voter suppression. The article in the OP seems to be sensational nonsense.

its shocking that the GOP press release about early voting does not mention voter supression.

absolutely shocking

what about

"Emails obtained last week by Reuters showed that Republican officials pushed successfully to restrict early voting sites and cut down on early voting on Sundays, when many black churches hold "Souls to the Polls" mass voting drives."

or

"17 Republican-controlled county election boards slashed the number of early voting sites they set up"

ExVicis

Hope you get crushed today NC Republicans. If I was there I know at the very least I would vote to spite you. Instead I'll just be content to be a black man voting in Virginia to keep Virginia blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom