• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Norway-Gaf: Any chance to see Aurora Borealis around early October in Trondheim?

ekim

Hej Norge-Gaf,

I plan a trip to Norway this year and we are exclusively going by train. Our main goal is to see northern lights. We start at the end of September until the middle of October. Our trip is currently as follows:
- Malmö
- Oslo
- Flåm area
- Lillehammer
- Trondheim

Depending on if we can see northern lights in Trondheim in early October, we either stay there or travel further into the north up to Bodø.

So how are our chances to already see them in Trondheim around the mentioned time?

Thanks in advance! :)

Jasup

Not Norwegian but Finnish.

Sorry to say, but Trondheim is quite far south for you to successfully see the Aurora. They do occur there, but not that frequently for it to be a sure shot to see them - we're talking about few times a month that they're in the sky. However when you weigh in that it has to be both dark and the sky has to be clear for you to see them, the chances are a bit against you. Especially if you have a limited time frame. But hey, you could get lucky.

Moving much further up north is a safe bet. I think you are already aware of the Northern Lights forecasts?

ekim

Not Norwegian but Finnish.

Sorry to say, but Trondheim is quite far south for you to successfully see the Aurora. They do occur there, but not that frequently for it to be a sure shot to see them - we're talking about few times a month that they're in the sky. However when you weigh in that it has to be both dark and the sky has to be clear for you to see them, the chances are a bit against you. Especially if you have a limited time frame. But hey, you could get lucky.

Moving much further up north is a safe bet. I think you are already aware of the Northern Lights forecasts?

Thanks! :)

Yes I am aware of the forecast but I wanted some first hand experiences about it. But I guess moving north is the way to go here.

nolips

I live in Trondheim and I'm sorry to say that there is almost zero chance to see Aurora Borealis in September / October here.

Too early in the year, besides we are too far south in the country. Your best chance ( here in Trondheim) is in December / January / February when it is really cold and on a clear night.

Further up north, though, you could get lucky, but your best chance is always during the coldest months of winter.

I live in Trondheim too, and I concur with the others that the chance is slim. Even if you were to see aurora borealis here, it would be much less prominent than what you've seen in pictures. You really need to go further north to experience it at its best.

Having said that, Trondheim is an awesome city. Welcome! :)

Bronx-Man

Banned
tenor.gif

Top Bottom