• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD April 2011 Sales Results [Update 6: Nintendo DS Hardware, Pokemon LTD]

LQX

Kagari said:
Casuals didn't even know about that feature.
I don't see how some can now say stuff like this with a straight face after weeks of many nodding in agreement the PS3 version would do better than the 360 version because of redemption code to also get it on the PC. The notion was that even PC gamers would buy it over the PC version. The PS3 version had everything going for it.

Effect

allan-bh said:
Nintendo remains in silence...

I wouldn't be surprised if they are really regretting holding back in regard to their own 1st party games on the 3DS. Also are they even advertising the 3DS in the US? I mean I've yet to see any commercials. I've never even seen the Street Fighter commercial. Why they refuse to be as blunt as possible in describing the 3DS still confuses me as well. It's not hard at all to get across what the system is compared to the DSLite/DSi/DSXL.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
LQX said:
I don't see how some can now say stuff like this with a straight face after weeks of many nodding in agreement the PS3 version would do better than the 360 version because of redemption code to also get it on the PC. The notion was that even PC gamers would buy it over the PC version. The PS3 version had everything going for it.

Realistically, people should have not assumed that. MK, on the other hand, is. Fighting games typically do better on PS3 and in MK's case, the MKvsDC one did very well on it.

Cheech

The main message from the NPDs this month is that the economy is recovering. I am very pleased.

Secondary, but important, is Nintendo might be in trouble. Cafe had better be something other than a 360 port box.

watership said:
The debate is set! Which sold more!? MK PS3 or MK 360? I predict 3 pages of this.

There is nothing to debate, every reasonable info we have gotten has told us that they list the sku order in the top 10 chart.

Kusagari

Kagari said:
Realistically, people should have not assumed that. MK, on the other hand, is. Fighting games typically do better on PS3 and in MK's case, the MKvsDC one did very well on it.

MK also had the advantage of a PS3 only demo and Kratos, one of the most popular characters among casuals, exclusive to PS3. Pretty expected for the PS3 one to win.

Jomjom

Banned
Kagari said:
It's happened before, it all depends on the type of game.

It's happened before, but the 360's hold as the console leader is stronger now than it was before. It won't happen again.

Also where does it say that the 360 MK sold less than the PS3 version. I highly doubt it. MK 360 is listed in the top individual SKUs while the PS3 version is nowhere to be seen.

Edit: Ah I see where people are getting that from. I still doubt it, it could very easily just have been a typo.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
jling84 said:
It's happened before, but the 360's hold as the console leader is stronger now than it was before. It won't happen again.

Also where does it say that the 360 MK sold less than the PS3 version. I highly doubt it. MK 360 is listed in the top individual SKUs while the PS3 version is nowhere to be seen.

You don't know that. No one does, so you can't say that for sure.

1-D_FTW

Dr. Zoidberg said:
If you were after the deal you wouldn't pick up the 360 version instead, you'd just buy the game on Steam.

Exactly. But that wouldn't count either (unless you purchased a physical copy because it was on sale).

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
jling84 said:

This has seriously been explain 10 times over the last few pages.

The theory is that the order the platforms are listed in is the sales order. If you look back over every month this makes perfect sense with (maybe) 1 exception so far.

That top 10 list is not official and is in no particular order. Is missing games and probably includes games that aren't actually in console + handheld top 10.

jling84 said:
Theres no way PS3 MK will not be in the top 10, either 1 or 2. 9 titles are listed so far. Or 8 if Black and White are combined.

I thought NPD included special editions...

@noobde said:
RT @RampagedDeath MK9 sold 900,000 kopies. Well done NetherRealm Noobde: That don't include special versions, actually over 1mil !! :D

edit: damnit, beaten!

iceatcs

watership said:
The debate is set! Which sold more!? MK PS3 or MK 360? I predict 3 pages of this.
Obviously 360 always sold at most on all. It will be surprise PS3 manage to get more than 360.

But who care? I'm liking that it has better debut than both SFIV and MvC 3.

Glad that SOCOM 4 flopped,that will teach them to make an actual real SOCOM game. Also PS3 hardware is pretty impressive,very close to 360.

Arnie

360 doing exceptional again. Quite astonished at those Kinect Sports and Dance Central LTD numbers, doing really well. It's funny how a developer like Rare can create one of the generations freshest and most enjoyable IP's in Viva Pinata and produce a game that sells 3 million+ and still be considered a failure. Sure, they might not be doing things exactly how people expect them to be doing them but they haven't been nearly as bad as most people paint them to be.

UberTag

My question is whether Portal 2 X360 outsold Mortal Kombat PS3.
'Cause I have to believe their combined totals are awfully close to one another despite the MK combined SKU victory.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
AbsoluteZero said:
Will be interesting to see what kind of effect the Wii pricecut + new bundle has on its sales.
Well there was already a semi price drop halfway through April that it doesn't look like anyone cared about.

V_Arnold

Syphon Filter said:
Glad that SOCOM 4 flopped,that will teach them to make an actual real SOCOM game. Also PS3 hardware is pretty impressive,very close to 360.

Close? Not really. Only if you count 100k close to 200k also.

Cheech

Kagari said:
You don't know that. No one does, so you can't say that for sure.

Unless Sony gets their crap together, he's probably right. I can't imagine the number of used, recent PS3 games sitting on Gamestop shelves. I would love to see how many MK/SOCOM 4/Portal 2s are sitting there.

Kafel

Banned
wow @ DC figures, glad for HMX

hopefully they won't stay silent when Ubi will come to eat the market with Just Dance Kinect

iceatcs said:
Obviously 360 always sold at most on all. It will be surprise PS3 manage to get more than 360.
Except there is no reason why 360 version would sell more from what i've read in this thread. + Early/incomplete numbers/

user_nat

UberTag said:
My question is whether Portal 2 X360 outsold Mortal Kombat PS3.
'Cause I have to believe their combined totals are awfully close to one another despite the MK combined SKU victory.
Hmm, good question.

If the platform splits in the US are similar to the UK splits.. probably (very close for MK, 360 almost double for Portal). Although we don't know what the combined Portal numbers are yet, they might not even be half.

Huff

Banned
V_Arnold said:
Close? Not really. Only if you count 100k close to 200k also.

Close considering how far apart they have been for past NPDs + the PSN deal.

But yeah, not that close.

mr stroke

Syphon Filter said:

I wouldn't call that a flop

All things considered(Poor reviews+no PSN for a hardcore online shooter) the game did surprisingly well

bigtroyjon said:
There is nothing to debate, every reasonable info we have gotten has told us that they list the sku order in the top 10 chart.

user_nat said:
The theory is that the order the platforms are listed in is the sales order. If you look back over every month this makes perfect sense with (maybe) 1 exception so far.

From The OP:

EviLore said:
Software (New Physical Retail only) - System Ordering Does Not Indicate Sales Ordering

Arnie said:
360 doing exceptional again. Quite astonished at those Kinect Sports and Dance Central LTD numbers, doing really well. It's funny how a developer like Rare can create one of the generations freshest and most enjoyable IP's in Viva Pinata and produce a game that sells 3 million+ and still be considered a failure. Sure, they might not be doing things exactly how people expect them to be doing them but they haven't been nearly as bad as most people paint them to be.
I don't own a Kinect so I can't comment on their Kinect effort, but I agree with you wholeheartedly on Viva Pinata. I can't be mad at Rare ever, no matter what they do, because of that IP.

sleepykyo

See without the numbers it really hard to tell how things did.

eg.
Scenario 1
MK 900k
Portal 2 150k

Scenario 2
MK 900k
Portal 2 600k

user_nat

Dr. Zoidberg said:
From The OP:
Software (New Physical Retail only) - System Ordering Does Not Indicate Sales Ordering
Interesting. Has that always been there?

Evilore must have addition information, because the NPD release doesn't say that.
http://media.industrygamers.com/editorial/2011/05/npdapril2011.png

Kusagari said:
If the system order doesn't matter then you've got to wonder why they have different orders for each game.
Different ordering that tends to make sense (like Lego being Wii > 360). Maybe NPD is just being mean.

Arnie said:
Real talk. Feel Rare get a bad rap. Viva Piñata & Nuts N Bolts are great.

Dance In My Blood said:
Well there was already a semi price drop halfway through April that it doesn't look like anyone cared about.

Yeah but those were all retailers sales. The official $149 drop is going to be marketed a bit more.

UberTag

Kusagari said:
If the system order doesn't matter then you've got to wonder why they have different orders for each game.
I actually buy that system order isn't relevant here.

For some reason, I'm pretty certain that MJ The Experience still sold more on Wii over Kinect despite it debuting on Kinect this month. Game has had serious legs on Wii (along with its dancing brethren JD2 and Zumba). Gamasutra's order indicates Kinect sold more, however.

EDIT: Guess I'm wrong on this. OK, I'm back in the system order is relevant camp.

If we could get one single, reasonable reason for the ordering besides sales order then I would love to hear it.

It's a sales chart, the consoles are listed after the game and the order the consoles are listed can change from game to game.

Giolon

MKs debut is great! SF4 didn't fare too much worse though (840K in its debut Feburary '09). Interestingly, both came out exactly 12 days before the end of their respective launch months.

What'll be interesting to compare is their 2nd months (1st full). SF4 sold between 200K-205K units, according to the data I can find.

SF vs MK forever!

Edit: Damn OP updated MK numbers! while I was typing/researching this! I don't know if the SF4 numbers included special editions or not.

Top Bottom