• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June 2011 Sales Results [Update5: Most HW in, Infamous 2]

Curufinwe

Camilos said:
Not the best place to ask but can you tell me how the controls are for this game? Are they more like Resident Evil (tank controls) or more like GofW controls? I'm just watching some videos of this game and it looks fawesome, I can't believe the things they say in Spanish.

You can move and shoot and dive and roll, but the actual aiming is more like RE 4.

Satchel

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this a GOOD time to release the next Xbox?

Both Sony and Nintendo have mad multiple consoles out at the same time. Isn't the late success of the 360 a good reason to also have multiple consoles on the market at once?

I doubt it will happen but just putting forward a theory.

Wario64 said:
No Shadows of the Damned

Suda51 am cry
8TQL1.jpg

Obviously, the 360 bump is from the soccer moms who saw Microsoft's E3 Kinect games on their local news stations and ran out to buy one. Gotta have that Disney and Sesame Street box.

Satchel said:

Both Sony and Nintendo have mad multiple consoles out at the same time. Isn't the late success of the 360 a good reason to also have multiple consoles on the market at once?

Why not focus on a profitable machine with a healthy audience that are responsive to new releases?

Satchel said:

No. You don't launch a new console when the one you have is selling better than ever. And especially not after you just spent an entire console R/D budget on a peripheral that is also selling great.

The Wii is quickly fading away, if not already dead. The ps3 isn't dropping but it isn't doing too hot either.

DMeisterJ

Banned
inFamous 2 did good this month. Even if it only did 300k or something, that's 50% higher than it's opening month.

Nevermind that edit

Meisadragon said:
PS2 sold 150 mil, and the HD consoles have sold 100 mil combined, so I guess that's where he got the 50 mil from.
Sold 150m.
Not to 150m people.
People had 2,3 or 4

Due to price in the end and the sheer amount of colours.
I had 3 due to selling, breaking and weakness

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Satchel said:

Why on earth would anyone release a new (presumably unprofitable) box when they already have a console out there that is still growing and providing profit from every one sold?

snap0212 said:
Could you US & UK guys please stop buying 360s? :C I'm happy with the games we have, but I also kind of want the next generation of consoles.

(Bought a 4GB Slim a week ago just in case my Elite breaks. :D)

I haven't bought one since 2005!

Though I would like to buy a Slim *shifty*

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Half a million in June of all months with no real big releases to drive growth is pretty impressive for the 360.

DefectiveReject said:
Sold 150m.
Not to 150m people.
People had 2,3 or 4

Only Japan had a sheer amount of colors.

And I only ever had one ps2 that eventually broke.

Satchel said:

no, releasing a new console costs a lot of marketing and R&D, if launched prematurely may have catastrophic generation change development dilema, will increase development costs in general, will force users to move to the next gen while there's clearly potential for this gen (of HD) to continue for at least another year.

There's really no incentive beside them having a strong brand at the moment, and since this strong brand won't suddenly go to abyss, it is actually better for them to build upon this by supporting their current console making better services, decreasing the price, developing new games.

larvi

Hiro_Kunimi_80 said:
i do not think so.. the free X360 it's not a "retail purchase" only the laptop is so NPD shouldn't count

I bought one under this program and you bought the laptop together with the xbox 360 and they took $200 off the total price as a discount. So it was a retail purchase.

DefectiveReject said:
Sold 150m.
Not to 150m people.
People had 2,3 or 4

I also doubt anywhere close to 100m people own a HD console. For basically the same reasons, plus multiconsole ownership being higher than ever before.

Road

May, 2009: Infamous - 176,000 - 5 days.

June, 2009: Infamous - 193,000 - 35 days.

June, 2011: Infamous 2 - ??? - 26 days.

KageMaru

Can't believe the 360 sold that much. o_0 Congrats MS.

Happy to see Infamous 2 so high on the charts and wow at DNF too.

Satchel said:

not really. Seems like a better time to play it simple and not swamp the market so soon after kinect blew up.

DatBreh

Banned
Infamous 2 may be a slow burn. Many people just dont see it as a $60 game anymore. Personally im contempt with XBLA offerings and my backlog until the big games start releasing in September.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
It's good to see Ocarina of Time 3D that high considering it was only on a single platform. And obligatory WTF at 360 sales. What came out to spur so many sales?

What's so bad about Duke Nukem Forever is that it's not counting digital sales. That means it sold even more copies than what is being reported. It may have even outperformed L.A. Noire. I know I contributed one sale myself, but that was before I knew how bad it would be. And there were probably people who bought it after word of mouth got around of its suckage. Those sales are inexcusable.

EDIT:
jvm said:
Zelda OoT 280K, 34% attach rate. From Eurogamer.

That puts 3DS LTD at around 820K - 825K.

HOLY SHIT. That is fucking great news. Even though I haven't done the math, this has to mean that 3DS sales were very good as well.

EDIT 2: Okay, 3DS sales weren't as good as I thought. They're up, but still not high enough.

TheOddOne

skyfinch said:
Were you in beardvista mode?
Yeah, Jeremy Clarkson and Stig where really into making concepts. Strange thing though Dan had this look in his eye, kinda reminded me of a Kubrick movie.

:kindofcreepedout:

larvi said:
I bought one under this program and you bought the laptop together with the xbox 360 and they took $200 off the total price as a discount. So it was a retail purchase.
Ah, there you go. That answers the sale question.

Satchel said:

It's coming.

I stand by my prediction: unveiled at E3 2012 with a 2013 launch.....

With Halo 4 as a launch title

jamesinclair said:
Exactly. They need to advertise their damn library....and keep releasing stuff.

Aim the ads at the wii sports crowd that hasnt touched it in years.

These people arent going to buy a Wii U if their Wii hasnt been used in 2+ years. Get the wii under the TV if you want the Wii U to be relevant.

I think Nintendo's got enough brand recognition to sell the Wii U to casuals once they hit the right pricepoint. They're going to be dipping into the traditional gamer first next gen.

Really, they'll have no competition unless Sony decides to axe the PS3 early like Microsoft did with the original XBOX. Otherwise, it looks like pretty smooth sailing for them.

KingDizzi

Banned
cjelly said:
Why on earth would anyone release a new (presumably unprofitable) box when they already have a console out there that is still growing and providing profit from every one sold?

Is NA and UK enough for MS? This is an NPD thread but it goes off topic all the time, for example talk about the next xbox console. MS is ballin' in UK and NA while the PS3 is doing the same everywhere else, surely MS and Sony want every region for themselves? Would assume the aim is for your console to rule in every region, MS and Sony will want to try next gen getting every region. This gen is set, MS will sell more consoles in NA and UK and PS3 everywhere else. Momentum and brand name means shit all though, just have a look at the PS3 and 3DS. No way will we get 720/PS4 in 2015, least I hope not..............:0

Averon said:
Zelda OoT selling 280K means Infamous 2 likely sold >300K.

Damn good Zelda numbers, that's a high attach rate!

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I think people are forgetting how aggressively DNF was marketed. It seemed like for most of June I saw the commercial with that bad cover of The Stroke every break. Paid off I guess.

onipex

butter_stick said:
That Wii software is selling like shit, so its not worth releasing niche games.

NoA seem to be right.

Software sales are known to drop when no one is making software for a system.

The 360 number is great even if the giveaway 360s are counted.

Top Bottom