• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD March 2012 Sales Results [Up3: ME3 Total, Binary Domain]

C4Lukins

Lol. This is why I can't wait for the next gen consoles to launch. Threads will be filled with these sorts of replies.

It will be like the good ol days again. It is hard to be a console warrior when NPD is so set in stone right now. But chaos will reign again soon.

Well SFIV and MVC3 sold like 800k-1million in their first month NPD. So it has been done before. Regardless with the bad word of mouth Capcom has built up, the artificial super edition, there's no way this game is going to break half in its lifetime.

And, if you've noticed the trend, each game has sold less and less. SF4 sold the best. Then MvC3 sold less. And, then each revision (SSF4 and UMvC3) sold even less.

With 5 or 6 fighting game releases in 3 years, why would SFxT suddenly jump back up and start selling more than even vanilla SF4 could? SF4 was released in a SF drought. SFxT was released in a SF flood. 2 Million in 3 weeks makes no sense.

Whether or not wiiu takes off like wii will be interesting.

I think it's almost impossible for this happen. They'd have to strike lightning with the casual crowd twice, and I think with Apple, MS and to a much lesser extent Sony, they just cannot do that. But they can still be successful.

Would be crazy, but I could see all three platform holders having a pretty even piece of the pie, an even 1/3rd split or so.

Petrae

You'd never think the 360 and PS3 monthly sales were that close just reading some of the posts in this thread.

It's a trend in 2012 so far. PS3 is the best YOY performer over the first quarter of 2012. Despite all of the scary secrecy, Sony can fall back on that. Even despite the early Vita disasterbacle.

Derrick01

Banned
Wait...those PS3 sales...they're good...right?

*nudges someone*

"They're good!'

*murmurs to self* "good"

Being so close to 360 without something like Kinect boosting them is good to me at least. I'm not surprised about the ME3 difference though, besides games usually doing better on 360 it's not a very established franchise on PS3.

edit: Also holy shit Nintendo got beat bad this month.

I'd love Wii U to launch with a New Super Mario Bros. game, they're so popular people would really jump on right from the get-go.

Hopefully after the 3DS's start they've learned now not to try and launch without at least one YES! game.

Also I'm really happy for Kid Icraus. :D The effort they put into it deserves sales, I was worried it wouldn't take at all.

mujun

Nice opinion there, but what does it even have to do with a single player rpg's (until the third entry) performance on the 360?

Your second point is the only one that makes sense (and doesn't have some subtle console wars nonsense in it).

According to wiki FFXIII sold 800k on PS3 and 500k on 360 first month in the States. Wonder why ME3 has such a high difference in the ratio compared to FFXIII.

Any other examples of sales ratios with games that went from being Playstation only to PS and Xbox?

Owzers

"We look forward to furthering the PS Vita momentum with upcoming blockbuster titles like Mortal Kombat and Resistance: Burning Skies, and apps including Skype"

PR never lets me down. That Mortal Kombat blockbuster port momentum.

BKK

PS3 versions of Capcom fighters (or maybe any fighter) always sell better these days. And since this one has exclusive characters on PS3, it's certainly no exception.

PS3 version is also listed first in the Top10 chart. Fighters are the one genre where PS3 performs as well as or better than 360 in US.

fernoca

balls out marketing, low price, and a big system seller at launch is pretty much a requirement for even a chance of that happening.
That and maybe even some patience; since the Wii U could (and probably will) start lower and slower than the Wii and to many that would be a sign of no interest or "bomba"...even if things change.

Or things could stay the same which may put it at 50% less than Wii and still be seen as a failure by many..even when 50 million would be around twice of what the GameCube did.

But in general most don't expect lighting to strike twice.. don't think even Nintendo does.

guek

Banned
Kinda eerie how apathetic nintendo is now about the wii. Well, out with the old, in with the new I guess...eventually

These people who are buying Xbox360 and PS3. If they really are Prior Wii owners, what will they do when WiiU comes out??

Most likely not rushing out to pick up another console so soon I would imagine. One thing to keep in mind though is that during this resurgence of the HD consoles the gaming market has actually shrunk. That's pretty troubling but it's potentially good news for Nintendo because it means that there are gamers (casual or otherwise) that are sitting out right now or have moved on to other hobbies. They're really going to have to hit it out of the park with their launch software to get them back onboard though.

So PS3 actually did really well and Sony didn't even bother to mention it. Uhm...

Sony just doesn't give much of a fart about bragging about sales, even in good months.

The only time you ever really hear them discuss sales with much vigor is immediately after some momentum-shifting event like a price drop.

C4Lukins

According to wiki FFXIII sold 800k on PS3 and 500k on 360 first month in the States. Wonder why ME3 has such a high difference in the ratio compared to FFXIII.

Any other examples of sales ratios with games that went from being Playstation only to PS and Xbox?

Sort of a different scenario then Mass Effect considering ME began with this generation, and Final Fantasy is self contained and had both Nintendo and Sony fans before this gen, many of which became 360 owners this generation. I guess Devil May Cry 4 would be a similar situation, but I think the two versions sold pretty close.

DR2K

Banned
And, if you've noticed the trend, each game has sold less and less. SF4 sold the best. Then MvC3 sold less. And, then each revision (SSF4 and UMvC3) sold even less.

With 5 or 6 fighting game releases in 3 years, why would SFxT suddenly jump back up and start selling more than even vanilla SF4 could? SF4 was released in a SF drought. SFxT was released in a SF flood. 2 Million in 3 weeks makes no sense.

Because 2 million in a month happened for both MVC3 and SFIV, SFXTK is a drastic drop. It wasn't going to sell more, but it shouldn't have dropped like that. Thankfully it did.

LiK

Most likely not rushing out to pick up another console so soon I would imagine. One thing to keep in mind though is that during this resurgence of the HD consoles the gaming market has actually shrunk. That's pretty troubling but it's potentially good news for Nintendo because it means that there are gamers (casual or otherwise) that are sitting out right now or have moved on to other hobies. They're really going to have to hit it out of the park with their launch software to get them back onboard though.

Unless there's a killer app for me, you are correct.

botty

Banned
That would be the point. Nintendo just kicked them out of making a series that sold a million units with each new iteration, and now they're closed.

Yeah but they pretty much hired all of the people who worked there and made them 1st or 2nd party, I forgot which.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
so xbox fangirls are going to pretend like they are surprised with ME numbers? Seriously?!

Isn't this bannable?

Vita must be bombing terribly, unfortunately :(

Somnid

360 and PS3 being pretty damn close is interesting. Gonna be a super ROUGH few months for the wii.

They are just hitting the Wii's original price point which is probably why interest is a bit renewed. Everyone who could afford a Wii 5 years ago can afford a PS3/360 now. They should enjoy while they can.

This generation is getting long in the tooth though. Nintendo is a the first one going next-gen which might be a problem for both MS and Sony. If Wii U is highly price competitive with current systems and/or takes off quickly it'll be disastrous for both of them. Even if they start slow like 3DS it might still be a huge problem because they have what looks like a year head-start. This is further compounded if next gen system start hitting $500 again.

Top Bottom