• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD November 2012 Results [Up6: Black Ops 2, Halo 4, Most Wanted, Assassin's Creed 3]

sphinx

the piano man
it has to be a curse.. we have seen many times how games that try to compete against Mario Kart fail miserably.

let this all-stars catastrophe be a lesson for everyone in the industry to not copy nintendo's big franchises directly.

Hiltz

PS3 All-Stars = <80K

Vita All-Stars = <8K

Oh my god... in comparison, March 2008 NPD statistics put SSB: Brawl at 2.7 MILLION, 875k on its first day in North America.

No words can explain the magnitude of this floppage.

I wonder what the development costs were like with All-Stars. Hope Sony won't take too large of a hit. There's a very good chance we're not seeing a sequel, though. Not with these numbers.

Holy cow. It sold that badly ? Yikes.

Haunted

ps3 all star < vita ver *10
image.php
image.php
image.php

Kusagari

Those Halo 4 numbers are bad. Worse than Reach and Halo 3.

Proof that releasing up against CoD was a terrible move.

Maybe Sony should have made a PS Kart Racing game :X

Sony seems to have thought that PS3 was in some place it could possibly act as a graduation platform from the Wii in place of the Wii U, given how Ninty-clone-crazy this holiday season has been for them and their first party software, counting PSASBR, LBK, and SC2.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Those Halo 4 numbers are pretty bad. More weeks, numbered game and November and still down on Reach and 3..

from the wii u release thread:

we know that in 7 days (starting the 18th) 243,000 copies of NSMBU were sold
the data collected by schuelma is from the 21st November, therefore we have data for 4 days

we can then say that about 1 person out 9 who purchased NSMBU connected its Wii U to the internet in the first 4 days*
that's about 10,27%

* not taking in consideration multiple users for the same copy

Its based on number of post not people I thought?

Other than Snake who the fuck are those?

Yes, yes, I vaguely know them but let's be honest dredging up some 90s nostalgia doesn't mean much when half of those names have been buried in shovelware for the last decade.

Yes, Sony doesn't need to acknowledge the first icons of Playstation in a game partly based around nostalgia. This makes total sense.

MrDaravon

Those Halo 4 numbers are bad. Worse than Reach and Halo 3.

Proof that releasing up against CoD was a terrible move.

Yup; Reach did 3.3 million in 19 days on it's first NPD, this one had 21 days (?) and did less, even though Reach came out in September. Unless the 3.3 million for Reach included console bundles for it, I'm not sure. Even if it did, Halo 4 selling equal to Reach is disappointing given it's a numbered sequel and you have 2 more years of install base.

They should not have chosen to directly compete with CoD.

That and there was no Bungie this time either.

To be fair I don't know that the average consumer would know or care about that, same with CoD developers.

Miles X

Halo 4 is bad not only for the reasons listed above, but it doesn't have a holiday down approaching to prop up lifetime sales like Halo 3 and Reach. If it ends the year at 5m then it's not going to fare to well after that.

Hero

Playstation All-Stars, Jesus Christ that has to be the biggest first party flop ever of a game that was actually marketed and pushed to be a huge seller.

Danny 117

Reach and Halo 3 were both 3.3 million with quite a few less days.

It's not super huge, but it is still down.

As Dynopia said, with Black Friday included in these sales results it's pretty shocking that there is a drop at all. Combine that with the fact that Halo 4 was released at the start of the month and it's bad.

test_account

XP-39C²
...and those some people bought this game. Apparently, that crowd wasn't all that large.
Sure, it wasnt that large, but someone was asking for a game like this at least :)

But at least when pitched or after presenting trailers, those new IPs generate excitement. I don't think this one ever did. More criticism, scorn and laughter than anything else.
That might be indeed, but if trailers are made, then the game usually well into production. The other option would be to cancel the game (generally speaking about new IPs, not just about PS Allstars). It is impossible to know exactly how a new IP will sell. It is a gamble, but sometimes this risk can be worth taking even if no one asked for it. It could end up being something that people really want when they see that it excist.

Elios83

Lol. My gosh sony has had a horrible year at retail for their exclusives. Their best selling game this year was a baseball game and that only sells in one territory. My goodness.

They simply had no big titles this year, all their big first party games are 2013 stuff. Even Yoshida admitted that their 2012 lineup sucked and they were counting on third parties.
Things like PASBR or LBPKarting are in the same league of Fable The Journey, I don't get the drama over the obvious low sales during a period dominated by mega productions like COD and AC.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Playstation All-Stars, Jesus Christ that has to be the biggest first party flop ever.

Its probably not even the biggest Sony first party flop of November.

Hell might not even be the second biggest Sony flop of November.

Would like some wonderbook / lbp kart numbers.

Kusagari

I doubt that's proof at all.

It could also be proof of series fatigue.

*Many series would kill for such "fatigue."

I really doubt it.

If you don't think Halo going to head-to-head with the biggest shooter on the platform hurt it then you're crazy.

Casuals aren't going to buy both within a week of each other.

Top Bottom