• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2009

beast786

OldJadedGamer said:
So you're implying that the fatties were sold out everywhere and the slim was in such limited numbers that all the hardware numbers Sony posted are from $399 fat units from earlier in the month?

I have no idea where i have said Phatties were all sold out . All i am saying is there were multiple reports just like in japan and UK where sony stopped 80GB and there were supply constrained in many many areas (link in earlier post)

Even the Slim were sold out http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/28/ps3-slim-already-sold-out-at-many-a-retail-store/

The full effect of price cut will be seen in Sept. Thats my point.

Unlike Elite price cut and supply.

legend166

EA can't be happy with this Madden numbers, right?

I mean, that obviously sounds like a stupid thing to say considering the numbers it did, but compared to last year:

2008 sales on 360, PS3, PS2: 2 067 500
2009 sales on 360, PS3, PS2: 1 750 000

15% decline.

Would probably be more when including the other platforms.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
It hurts, doesn't it?

that the ps3 is (going) to sell better in the US ? no , not at all.

Only thing i find head scratching is people setting up the village fairs because victory is seemingly assured or some tide has apparently swung.

I have no idea why PS3 fans insist on being so premature this generation.

All i am saying is there were multiple reports just like in japan and UK where sony stopped 80GB and there were supply constrained in many many areas (link in earlier post)

in Tokyo at least it didn't look like the PS3 was supply constrained for the phatties or the slim, there's been plenty of units available - but a massive advertising campaign so the phatty down turn should have been due to that (general PS3 sales had been low -anyways-) as well as the impending Slim.

Nice to see the PS3 finally break its YoY decrease streak, and even the mighty Wii Sports couldn't tackle Madden for number 1. Hey whats that?! A PSP game in the top ten! Awesome for Dissida (great game), the first PSP game in the top ten since Crisis Core.

Road

legend166 said:

I mean, that obviously sounds like a stupid thing to say considering the numbers it did, but compared to last year:

15% decline.

Not PS3 and 360's fault the PS2 owners that moved to Wii are MIA.

Am I trolling it right?

Banned
beast786 said:
I have no idea where i have said Phatties were all sold out . All i am saying is there were multiple reports just like in japan and UK where sony stopped 80GB and there were supply constrained in many many areas (link in earlier post)

Even the Slim were sold out http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/28/ps3-slim-already-sold-out-at-many-a-retail-store/

The full effect of price cut will be seen in Sept. Thats my point.

Unlike Elite price cut and supply.

What? The Elite price cut came after the PS3 price cut.

legend166 said:

15% decline.

They dropped original xbox support this year ;)

I would be interested to see how many madden 10's on iphone get bought, we'll never know a number but, would love to find out

Wii Sports Resort numbers are phenomenal. It will be interesting to see how well it holds up through the holiday season and into the spring.

Next month it would be absolutely shocking if PS3 wasn't the leading console. It would be a pretty big disappointment if it wasn't the case, actually.

However, the really interesting months will be November and December. Can the new price be enough to take on the Wii juggernaut? Or will the bump be over by then?

Mrbob

legend166 said:

15% decline.

Well when you look at platforms it wasn't terrible. 360 had a moderate drop yoy of around 8 percent. PS3 version is actually slightly up yoy. PS2 version took the biggest plunge with a massive drop yoy, but considering how old the PS2 is this isn't horrible. Wii version under 92k, who knows how low that one is?

Here are last year madden sales in top 10:

1. Madden NFL 09 (X360) - 1.0m
2. Madden NFL 09 (PS3) - 643K
3. Madden NFL 09 (PS2) - 424.5K
9. Madden NFL 09 (Wii) - 115.8K

duk

Banned
yessss the battle is getting goooood! :D

i am prepared to see next sept npds like so: ps3 > wii > 360

halo odst >>> wii sports resort

operon

Great to see the ps3 doing well and pretty sure to have a good month nnext month, put to be seeing this as the beginning of the ps3 dominating and catching the 360 in NA, stop smoky the blow will ye come on.

I'd be interested to see if rockband is a system seller, can the beatles bring in more casuals etc.

The fact that the Wii version of Madden is soooo out of the map does play a major role in the franchise comping negative from last year...

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
just to clear things up as i'm not in the US, is there a SLIM supply issue in the states or is this a hedged bet , you know, just in case Sept doesn't work out?

The meltdowns will be epic.

again, WHY? It seems the other way round, the over celebration will be the more fun to watch.

"it's half time here Bob, and with the Cowboys up 35-0"
"hold that thought there John, because The Raiders have just went over for a score"
"Oh my God Bob, at just over half time with the extra point added, 35-7 !!! Victory Raiders! It's all over for the Cowboys! Time to pack up. Who can stop the Raiders juggernaut!!!"
"and i can see members of the Cowboys fan base actually moving seats to the Raiders side of the field"
"and who can blame them John? they can smell the inevitability!"

Jtyettis said:
Personally I would like to see a price cut from the Wii, but just looking at these numbers right before the holidays I doubt it happens. Pack-ins are likely on the table however.
Yeah, Wii has been at that launch price for way too long and I think it's clear from sales this year that it's going to be necessary for them to drop $50 or so if only because they're going to get pressure from retailers and third parties, but also the lowered royalties they're receiving from less software being sold. When, however, is the question. I think it'll be this year and well before Natal/Wands. It'll probably coincide with a new standardized bundling of Motion Plus with the system.

And depending on how long this PS3 bump can be sustained, MS is going to get aggressive because they really need to...you don't just relent to your closest rival. And that's just awesome. I love this shit.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Any preliminary software predictions for September? I'm gonna be bold and predict that The Beatles: Rock Band is the overall best selling game (combined) with Halo: ODST in 2nd and Wii Sports Resort in 3rd. Feel free to quote this post next month when I get owned.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Sohter.Nura said:
The fact that the Wii version of Madden is soooo out of the map does play a major role in the franchise comping negative from last year...

EA has screwed the franchise on Wii. Changing everything year to year, this year deciding to go completely casual. No consistent identity and this is what you get. No reason it couldn't have done better.

Biz site Industrygamers confirmed that the Wii version of Madden sold 67,000 units, meaning that the PSP version seems to have outsold it, with around 80,000 units sold.]

EA Sports' latest Madden was easily the best selling title for the month of August, racking up close to 2 million unit sales across its five SKUs. The Wii SKU, however, which EA put extra effort into redesigning with an all-new visual style and other Wii-specific features, only managed to sell 67K copies, The NPD Group has told IndustryGamers.

As EEDAR analyst Jesse Divnich previously commented, it may just be that gamers who shifted from PS2 to Wii this generation may also have shifted their gaming tastes and aren't as interested in Madden anymore... at least not Madden on the Wii. The previous Madden with "All-Play" on the box didn't do very well either.

When IndustryGamers last met with EA Sports boss Peter Moore, we asked him about the problem of Madden on Wii. He responded, "...we believe we've got that formula right, the marketing right, and we've got two great athletes on the cover. The game is a blast... but again, ask me when the first NPD numbers come out and I'll tell you."

It looks like we'll have to ask him again!

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/madden-nfl-10-on-wii-sells-just-67k-copies/

Q1ller

Banned
Darklord said:
PS3 will be higher than 360 next month, possibly even higher than the Wii which really isn't leaps and bounds ahead this month.

The real test will come down the road after the initial wave of people who have been holding off get their Slims. I'm betting that the monthly #'s will be pretty close thereafter.

Archie said:
Any preliminary software predictions for September? I'm gonna be bold and predict that The Beatles: Rock Band is the overall best selling game (combined) with Halo: ODST in 2nd and Wii Sports Resort in 3rd. Feel free to quote this post next month when I get owned.

If you go combined, I might agree. The amount of media attention it's getting is incredible. Does NPD make any distinction between SKU's? Because afaict, we have:

The full Beatles Rock Band game bundle with game specific instruments
The full rock band 2 with Beatles bundled in
The game itself standalone

If NPD counts all of those, then I'd say it's a good prediction.

Superman00

Liverpool01
Karma said:
What? The Elite price cut came after the PS3 price cut.

What he has been saying regarding the PS3 fat supply isn't necessary wrong. I live near the washington DC area and every single Best Buy near hear is out of stock of PS3 fat. Check target, only 2 out of 10 had limited stock while the rest are out of stock.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
elrechazao said:
If you go combined, I might agree. The amount of media attention it's getting is incredible. Does NPD make any distinction between SKU's? Because afaict, we have:

The full Beatles Rock Band game bundle with game specific instruments
The full rock band 2 with Beatles bundled in
The game itself standalone

If NPD counts all of those, then I'd say it's a good prediction.
I believe that NPD combines all the SKUs for a music game. I'm basing that off some old threads where Guitar Hero sales had combined SKUs.

SapientWolf said:
I'm calling it now. Next month the PS3 outsells the Wii and 360. The meltdowns will be epic.

I'm calling it now that 50% of the posts will mention how they knew it would happen (because it's ridiculously obvious), 50% of the posts will dismiss it as temporary, then the other 75% of the posts will post about the meltdown thus causing a meta-meltdown, and finally the last 30% will make their "turning the tide" speech (again)

duk

Banned
cr_blah_blah said:
I'm calling it now that 50% of the posts will mention how they knew it would happen (because it's ridiculously obvious), 50% of the posts will dismiss it as temporary, then the other 75% of the posts will post about the meltdown thus causing a meta-meltdown, and finally the last 30% will make their "turning the tide" speech (again)

and i'll call that the sony fantards will come out of the hibernation declaring victory

Balb

Considering how much trouble companies are having selling $60 games in this economy, it'll be interesting to see how those overpriced Activision games perform. Will Tony Hawk Ride even break 20k?

WhiteAce said:
again, WHY? It seems the other way round, the over celebration will be the more fun to watch.

"hold that thought there John, because The Raiders have just went over for a score"
"Oh my God Bob, at just over half time with the extra point added, 35-7 !!! Victory Raiders! It's all over for the Cowboys! Time to pack up. Who can stop the Raiders juggernaut!!!"
"and i can see members of the Cowboys fan base actually moving seats to the Raiders side of the field"

:lol :lol :lol

I liked that. Seems so true and logical when you see it in that light.

Owned me.

Zophar

cr_blah_blah said:
Gaffers give 205% on NPD day.

cr_blah_blah said:

This should be posted at the bottom of the op next month's npd thread to preempt all of the "I BOLDLY PREDICTED LAST MONTH THAT SLIM WOULD INCREASE PS3 SALES!"

legend166

Ugh, the press trying to spin the failure of Madden Wii as something to do with the platform will be very annoying.

That series on Wii is pretty much a 'what not to do' of video game publishing. Everything they possibly could have done to alienate any possible fanbase was done. Especially considering they actually had one after 07, which was a good game.

Balb said:
Considering how much trouble companies are having selling $60 games in this economy, it'll be interesting to see how those overpriced Activision games perform. Will Tony Hawk Ride even break 20k?

Not that it's a surprise in the least but it's at least worth mentioning that Wolfenstein didn't chart. Not that anybody was expecting it to.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Wait, EA's big idea to make Madden more appealing to Wii owners was making the players look like Captain Qwark?

Tom Penny

Balb said:

Nah. That shit is tight. It's going to sell like hotcakes.

WhiteAce said:
just to clear things up as i'm not in the US, is there a SLIM supply issue in the states or is this a hedged bet , you know, just in case Sept doesn't work out?

:lol

FrankT

Loudninja said:
The PS3 sales were already up 300% for the first week of September.

Which is 300% of something like ~30k or less (about what they were at week over week in July). Right before the rumored price cut I could certainly see them at 20-25k however.

WhiteAce said:

Haha

Balb

Patriotsbball5460 said:
they said their inspiration was TF2...

I hope they realize that most people, casual gamers included, like realism in a sports sim, not some mixed message crap like Madden 10 Wii is.

Tiktaalik

MADDEN NFL 10 (PS2; Aug-09) 160,000

Jesus there's that many damn PS2 hold outs.

There are actually EB games' in my town that have cut out their PS2 sections entirely and the thing is still doing great sales. The Gamestop in my town has switched their PS2 section to spine facing games entirely instead of the usual front facing display.

When you look at this and also at the PS2 sales you realize that so many companies have left cash on the table by not still releasing dedicated PS2 games.

Top Bottom