• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2010

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
ZealousD said:
Metroid Other M
Dead Rising 2
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock
Spider-man Shattered Dimensions
FIFA 11
RUSE
HAWX 2
Also, Battle Vs Chess, Time Crisis: Razing Storm and Front Mission Evolved and a whole stack of downloadable games.

Kafel

Banned
Reach will be a beast. I've heard many gamers (owners of 360 or not) interested by this game who didn't touch a Halo game since Halo CE.

Mrbob

Jtyettis said:
How much was at the cost of previous years PS2 sales those count as well. With that said the jump yoy is impressive. MS shouldn't be too concerned about Madden, but it should be watching it's split with pretty much everything. With RDR holding in and around GTA it's done well for the most part, and clearly COD is still by far king.

Not directing at you specifically or anyone for that matter, but it is pretty crazy how this generation has gone. At first it was about PS3 dominating and 360 is toast. Then 599 happened and 360 was taking over and PS3 is now done. Sony has done a good job reinvigorating the PS3 market, and while it will never claim PS2 level market share it can still hold its own with software. We are now reaching a point where some games will sell better on PS3, some on 360, but really games need to sell well on both platforms for companies to make a good return on investment. Hopefully the continued strong Starcraft 2 sales keep showing publishers there is a viable market who will buy games on the PC as well.

FrankT

Warm Machine said:
DR2 is going to surprise you. It'll rule October as it'll only have a few days of September.

There is so much out in October. October is the month this fall for me.

Fable III
Castlevania
Vanquish
Enslaved
Fallout New Vegas

I really do hope DR2 does well, but man it's in a sandwhich. Case Zero seems to have gone over well perhaps this will be the same for the retail release. I hope for good scores as well.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
farnham said:
I dont want to summon in the Move Defense Force. But there are little to no precedents that peripherals did well over the launch of the initial game. Wii Balance Board is the only peripheral that i can think of.
The Move has the whole "copy cat" thing going against it. In reality, it's a much more accurate and robust Wii alternative. I think the more people see the lineup, the more they realize how much more is posible with the camera and mic and raw accuracy capable by the device. Nintendo had the marketing and base to pull big numbers for their Wii Fit franshise. They long established the userbase and capitalized by bringing Wii Fit to that consumer base.

Kinect would be the same but the proposed chance of cutting into the Wii's casual pie is very much a reality. I think the marketing needs to be spot on. I can safely say that the new Kevin Butler commercials are a steo in the right direction for Move. I'm sure MSFT will put big bucks into their Kinect ad blitz as well.

Jtyettis said:
There is so much out in October. October is the month this fall for me.

Fable III
Castlevania
Vanquish
Enslaved
Fallout New Vegas

I really do hope DR2 does well, but man it's in a sandwhich.
I'm praying that Toys R Us does their sale at the end of October.

They usually want to do it before the big games comes out, but not too early. End of October sounds like a good time.

Boney

Banned
captmcblack said:
I never post in NPD threads, but yeah...I dunno what to make of the Wii. Nintendo needs something to make things pick up again. Wii Party is probably not going to do it, and neither Galaxy 2 or Metroid Other M did much of anything to pick things up either.

More colors? A real price drop? Getting that new Zelda out for the holiday? I have no idea what could really move things for them...
They just need something new. Wii Party might help, as would the vitality sensor. But at this point, it'd be smarted to move resources and launch a succesor. They just can't maintain it alone at this point in time. Interest has waned.

DMeisterJ said:
wtf is wrong with you

farnham

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
The Move has the whole "copy cat" thing going against it. In reality, it's a much more accurate and robust Wii alternative. I think the more people see the lineup, the more they realize how much more is posible with the camera and mic and raw accuracy capable by the device. Nintendo had the marketing and base to pull big numbers for their Wii Fit franshise. They long established the userbase and capitalized by bringing Wii Fit to that consumer base.

Kinect would be the same but the proposed chance of cutting into the Wii's casual pie is very much a reality. I think the marketing needs to be spot on. I can safely say that the new Kevin Butler commercials are a steo in the right direction for Move. I'm sure MSFT will put big bucks into their Kinect ad blitz as well.
has nothing to do with copycat or accuracy.

it is a peripheral and even if there are some exemptions usually they dont do well.

Mrbob said:
Not directing at you specifically or anyone for that matter, but it is pretty crazy how this generation has gone. At first it was about PS3 dominating and 360 is toast. Then 599 happened and 360 was taking over and PS3 is now done. Sony has done a good job reinvigorating the PS3 market, and while it will never claim PS2 level market share it can still hold its own with software. We are now reaching a point where some games will sell better on PS3, some on 360, but really games need to sell well on both platforms for companies to make a good return on investment. Hopefully the continued strong Starcraft 2 sales keep showing publishers there is a viable market who will buy games on the PC as well.

I love the ups and downs and this has been my favorite generation to watch and post about since the Genesis/SNES days. I love how everything is neck and neck and yes, we need all games to sell well on all systems for everything to stay healthy and more games getting made.

LiquidMetal14 said:

But the fact remains that the Move is $200 more dollars than the Wii for new buyers (and Wii is due for a price drop still). I think this is it's biggest hurdle being double the price to get it in your door.

OldJadedGamer said:
Well, MS paid nothing for the advertising of the game and still made more money in royalties off EA over what Sony made from EA and Sony paid for marketing it... how did MS get schooled?

Not to mention all the LIVE gold account profit. But I have to agree that PS3 Madden commercial was definitely better than MS did during the past years. It definitely make it feel like it was the system to play it on ie exclusive.

I think MS feel that their user base in regard to Madden has reach flat point and they dont feel the return is worth the inverstment and they rather pump all their money into Reach promotion this month.

farnham said:
Right now they at least should do this
- 150 Dollar SKU (either price drop or at least WiiSports only Bundle)
- Get Wii Party out ASAP

If they are smart they should release Wii Relax on top of that.

Nintendo has to be aggressive. Every console maker this gen has created "value" without moving below $199. The console makers would sooner pack more crap into the box than sell for a lower price. Nintendo needs to break that trend - lower the price AND add stuff into the package. Add NSMB or Super Mario Galaxy to the bundle or something, and lower the price to $179.

They already dropped all of the various DS prices, so it won't infringe on the price perceptions ("consoles should cost more than handhelds"). If they want to stoke the flames a little bit, they have to sacrifice a little bit. They've already made ultracash hand-over-fist...now it's time to get this machine to become viable again until they can get to 3DS and a potential Wii 2.

antonz

Its not so much that interest has dropped in the Wii. The Wii is just reaching a saturation point. Lets not forget where the Wii is at sales wise in the US. Nintendo has to get creative to boost sales but lets not kid ourselves the days of 500K a month outside of the holidays is over.

In the end it seems like the Wii will reach PS2 level sales in North America and sputter til eventually its dead.

Bizzyb

Banned
zero_suit said:
:lol :lol :lol

Wii will finish first by a LARGE margin. Also, Move and Kinect will not be as successful as you think. They're both add-ons and the software is not really compelling.

It's Ovah! I think Nintendo needs a cup of Brisk Ice Tea.

farnham

Banned
captmcblack said:
Nintendo has to be aggressive. Every console maker this gen has created "value" without moving below $199. The console makers would sooner pack more crap into the box than sell for a lower price. Nintendo needs to break that trend - lower the price AND add stuff into the package. Add NSMB or Super Mario Galaxy to the bundle or something, and lower the price to $179.

They already dropped all of the various DS prices, so it won't infringe on the price perceptions ("consoles should cost more than handhelds"). If they want to stoke the flames a little bit, they have to sacrifice a little bit. They've already made ultracash hand-over-fist...now it's time to get this machine to become viable again until they can get to 3DS and a potential Wii 2.
they could go the gamecube 99 dollar route

that helped even the gamecube and i believe the wiis production costs are not a lot higher

but i believe they will drop to 150 first.

seady

ZealousD said:
Metroid Other M
Dead Rising 2
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock
Spider-man Shattered Dimensions
FIFA 11
RUSE
HAWX 2

For next month forecast:

Halo Reach will be #1 for sure.

Metroid will definitely chart in the top 10 somewhere, hopefully top 5 especially since it get a whole full month of sale data.

Dead Rising 2 release date falls too late in the month (Sep 28), don't even know if it will be counted toward September. If it really does count, don't take the number too seriously.

Guitar Hero fails to chart for many years I think. The game this year seems to have completed ignored by the gaming public too.

FIFA will get the same old sale number as every year (meaning it will not chart in US), I don't think the World Cup will do any help because it passed for a while.

The rest on that list = send to die.

rosjos44

antonz said:
Its not so much that interest has dropped in the Wii. The Wii is just reaching a saturation point. Lets not forget where the Wii is at sales wise in the US. Nintendo has to get creative to boost sales but lets not kid ourselves the days of 500K a month outside of the holidays is over.

In the end it seems like the Wii will reach PS2 level sales in North America and sputter til eventually its dead.

I agree with you. Not to mention how much profit Nintendo made off the Wii console. That project was a success to them. However, I am sure Sony executives are not very happy with the Ps3 project compared to the past generations.

farnham

Banned
seady said:
For next month forecast:

Halo Reach will be #1 for sure.

Metroid will definitely chart in the top 10 somewhere, hopefully top 5 especially since it get a whole full month of sale data.

Dead Rising 2 release date falls too late in the month (Sep 28), don't even know if it will be counted toward September. If it really does count, don't take the number too seriously.

Guitar Hero fails to chart for many years I think. The game this year seems to have completed ignored by the gaming public too.

FIFA will get the same old sale number as every year (meaning it will not chart in US), I don't think the World Cup will do any help because it passed for a while.

The rest on that list = send to die.
i wouldnt hold my breath

metroid will not do any decent numbers imo

its not the Prime series and the reception has been very scetchy I defended it several times on the Official thread here but the hate is pretty strong.

seady said:

I think that on 360 DR2 launches too close to Reach so dollars and time will be spent on Reach and not on DR2. On PS3, the first one wasn't on the system and Case Zero wasn't either leading to a smaller fanbase willing to pick it up at launch so not sure how much that is going to affect sales on the system.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
captmcblack said:

They need to do that by releasing good software for the system. Dropping the system's price won't help the Wii at all.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
LiquidMetal14 said:
The KB ads have been nothing but geek wankery. They have been running since last year, and while are a much better than past advertisements. Probably aren't going to sell move. While MS's casual advertisement has been nothing but a terrible copy of Nintendo's that doesn't even apply to their typical audience.

The hurdle both have to over come is... "Well I want to play Wii Sports. I can either get a Wii+Wii Sports for under 200.... or I can buy a rival's for 400"

LM4sure

Banned
farnham said:
has nothing to do with copycat or accuracy.

it is a peripheral and even if there are some exemptions usually they dont do well.

Yeah, I agree. I don't have sales data, but I imagine Nintendo struggled with the motion plus thing. I guess the difference is there wasn't much communication about why one should buy one, there was little to no advertising for it, and the content wasn't there.

There's nothing really new that the move is doing. The content is pretty much the same as what is offered on the Wii...but you get slightly better graphics. So what?

rosjos44

LM4sure said:
Yeah, I agree. I don't have sales data, but I imagine Nintendo struggled with the motion plus thing. I guess the difference is there wasn't much communication about why one should buy one, there was little to no advertising for it, and the content wasn't there.

There's nothing really new that the move is doing. The content is pretty much the same as what is offered on the Wii...but you get slightly better graphics. So what?

I think Wii motion plus sold well over 5 million WW by now. Considering its packaged with the system and Wii sports 2.

farnham

Banned
LM4sure said:

Motion Plus did at least 17 Million (as it is packed in)

How many companies are making games for it... yeah...

If the Move sells 17 million that would mean nearly 50 % market penetration. And i dont think that will happen.

rosjos44 said:
I think Wii motion plus sold well over 5 million WW by now. Considering its packaged with the system and Wii sports 2.
Wii Sports Resort alone sold 17 million though

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
LTD

DS 42,539,258
PSP 17,599,836
360 21,356,086
PS3 13,160,196
Wii 30,038,231

Here's an updated list of month-to-month sales since August 2006.

2mm +

360 CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* 4.20mm
360 HALO 3* 3.3mm
WII NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII 2.82mm
WII SUPER SMASH BROS: BRAWL 2.7mm
WII WII FIT PLUS* 2.41mm
NDS NEW SUPER MARIO BROS 2.0 mm

1.99mm - 1mm

PS3 CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* 1.87mm
360 GTA IV 1.85mm
360 GEARS OF WAR 1.8 mm
WII WII SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS* 1.79mm
360 CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* 1.63mm
360 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE 1.57mm
360 GEARS OF WAR 2 1.56mm
360 HALO 3: ODST 1.52M
360 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE ACTIVISION 1.47 million
WII WII PLAY W/ REMOTE 1.46mm
360 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR 1.41mm
WII SUPER MARIO GALAXY 1.40 million
WII NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII 1.39m
360 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR 1.33mm
PS3 CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* 1.12mm
WII MARIO KART WII W/WHEEL 1.12mm
WII SUPER MARIO GALAXY 1.12mm
PS3 GOD OF WAR III* 1.10M
NDS BRAIN AGE: TRAIN YOUR BRAIN 1.1mm
360 MADDEN NFL 07 1.1mm
WII WII PLAY W/ REMOTE 1.08 million
NDS POKEMON DIAMOND 1.045mm
NDS POKEMON SOULSILVER VERSION 1.02mm
WII WII PLAY W/ REMOTE 1.01mm
360 MADDEN NFL 09 1.0mm
PS3 GTA IV 1.00mm
360 GEARS OF WAR 1mm units
360 TOM CLANCY'S GRAW 1.0 mm

999k - 900k

WII WII FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD 999K
360 ASSASSIN'S CREED 980K
360 RED DEAD REDEMPTION 945.9K
360 RESIDENT EVIL 5 938K
WII MARIO KART W/ WHEEL 936.1K
360 MADDEN NFL 10 928k
360 MADDEN NFL 11 920.8K

899k - 800k

360 MADDEN NFL 08 896.6K
360 ASSASSIN'S CREED 893.7K
PS3 MADDEN NFL 11 893.6K
WII MARIO KART W/ WHEEL 878K
360 GRAND THEFT AUTO IV 871.3K
WII GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR 859K
PS3 FINAL FANTASY XIII 828.2K
360 BATTLEFIELD: BAD COMPANY 2 825.5K
NDS POKEMON PLATINUM VERSION 805K

799k - 700k

360 ASSASSIN'S CREED II 794.7K
WII WII PLAY W/ REMOTE 796K
360 FABLE II 790K
WII MARIO KART Wii W/ WHEEL 787.4K
360 ASSASSIN'S CREED II 783.1K
WII WII FIT 777K
PS3 METAL GEAR SOLID 4: GUN OF THE PATRIOTS 774.6K
NDS POKEMON HEARTGOLD VERSION 761.2K
WII WII SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS 754k
360 *TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX: VEGAS 2 752.3K
360 GEARS OF WAR 2 745K
360 LEFT 4 DEAD 2 744k
360 HALO 3 742.7 K
360 LEFT 4 DEAD 2 728.5K
WII WII SPORTS RESORT* 720.2K
NDS POKEMON PEARL 712k

699k - 600k

WII WII FIT 697K
WII WII FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD 687.7K
360 UFC 2009 UNDISPUTED 679.6K
WII WII FIT PLUS* 679k
PS3 MADDEN NFL 10 665K
NDS BRAIN AGE 2: MORE TRAINING IN MINUTES A DAY 659.5K
NDS MARIO & LUIGI: BOWSER'S INSIDE STORY 656.7K
WII NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII 656.7K
WII WII FIT W/BALANCE BOARD 644K
PS3 MADDEN NFL 09 643K
360 HALO WARS 639K
WII MARIO KART 637K
360 LEFT 4 DEAD 629K
360 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK 624.6 K
WII MARIO AND SONIC: OLYMPIC GAMES 613.0 K
360 STAR WARS: THE FORCE UNLEASHED 610K
360 ARMY OF TWO 606.1K

599k - 500k

PS3 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR 597K
PS3 RESIDENT EVIL 5 585K
360 RED DEAD REDEMPTION 582.9K
360 MASS EFFECT 2* 572.1K
PS3 RED DEAD REDEMPTION 567.1K
WII WII PLAY W/ REMOTE 564K
WII SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2 563.9K
360 BIOSHOCK 2* 562.9k
WII WII FIT PLUS W/ BALANCE BOARD* 555.7K
WII NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. 555.6K
WII SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2 548.4K
WII WII FIT W/BALANCE BOARD 541K
NDS MARIO KART DS 540K
PS3 UNCHARTED 2: AMONG THIEVES 537k
PS3 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR 533K
WII WII FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD 518K
WII Wii SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS 508.2K

markatisu

farnham said:
how important just really is oct- nov-dec for sales like in percentage ? i heard its something like 50 %

That is the bread and butter of the industry, its where Nintendo often makes up for lost sales throughout the year.

Wii Party and Just Dance 2 are going to do killer sales, regardless of what Kirby and Donkey Kong do (do not underestimate Kirby, he will get you if you do :lol )

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I cannot believe Madden keeps selling that much. The game was horrendous this year.

farnham said:
how important just really is oct- nov-dec for sales like in percentage ? i heard its something like 50 %
this year will be for sure.. November + december will be insane.

GT5+Move Vs CodZilla Vs Reach+Kinect Vs WiiParty+DK Vs rest of the games out in november

farnham

Banned
markatisu said:
That is the bread and butter of the industry, its where Nintendo often makes up for lost sales throughout the year.

Wii Party and Just Dance 2 are going to do killer sales, regardless of what Kirby and Donkey Kong do (do not underestimate Kirby, he will get you if you do :lol )
kirby will do fine in japan but in NA i dont think so.

has anyone got any percentage of previous years ?

jvm

Gamasutra.
farnham said:
2009: Jan - Sep = $10.36 billion, Oct - Dec = $9.30 billion (47% of total)
2008: Jan - Sep = $11.85 billion, Oct - Dec = $9.56 billion (45% of total)
2007: Jan - Sep = $9.38 billion, Oct - Dec = $8.60 billion (48% of total)

farnham

Banned
jvm said:
2009: Jan - Sep = $10.36 billion, Oct - Dec = $9.30 billion (47% of total)
2008: Jan - Sep = $11.85 billion, Oct - Dec = $9.56 billion (45% of total)
2007: Jan - Sep = $9.38 billion, Oct - Dec = $8.60 billion (48% of total)
so around 50%

markatisu

farnham said:
kirby will do fine in japan but in NA i dont think so.

has anyone got any percentage of previous years ?

Kirby does well in the US, I need to find the sales but I believe the last release did very well, even back to the GCN with Kirbys Air Ride

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Plinko said:
I cannot believe Madden keeps selling that much. The game was horrendous this year.
Well, it's not like people have an alternative. Well, I bought Backbreaker instead but I'm not part of that demobrographic.

Boney

Banned
SapientWolf said:
Well, it's not like people have an alternative. Well, I bought Backbreaker instead but I'm not part of that demobrographic.
Well they can just play last year's edition.

farnham said:
how are they going to support 2 launches at the same time ? either one (aka wiiHD) will have a poor launch and will fail since nintendo platforms dont get any third party support if they are not successful (and even if they are successful they sometimes dont)

Since when are two events a year apart "at the same time."

The Wii 2 will get plenty of support at launch by default, developers just need to simply port over their fall PS3/360/PC projects and maybe add a few bells and whistles.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Would be interested to see where some of the XBLA and PSN stuff would have fit in this month. We have games like Scott Pilgrim, Castlevania, Monday Night Combat, Lara Croft etc... and I wonder if they would have cracked the list.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
brain_stew said:
Since when are two events a year apart "at the same time."

also

gba june 11, 2001
gcn nov 18, 2001

markatisu said:
Kirby does well in the US, I need to find the sales but I believe the last release did very well, even back to the GCN with Kirbys Air Ride

NDS KIRBY SUPERSTAR ULTRA 1,1xx,xxx
GBA KIRBY: NIGHTMARE 9xx,xxx
GCN KIRBY AIR RIDE 8xx,xxx
NDS KIRBY SQUEAK SQUAD 6xx,xxx
GBA KIRBY AMAZING MIRROR 6xx,xxx
N64 KIRBY 64: CRYSTAL 5xx,xxx
NDS KIRBY: CANVAS CURSE 3xx,xxx

(all most recent leaks available, I am not a subscriber and the only leaks I get are publicly available on public websites)

Whipped Spartan said:
Is it safe to say the 360 slim had more of an impact than the PS3 Slim now?

no, ps3 slim has led 13 months of yoy growth, the same is not yet true of the 360 s. we're just noticing it for the 360 s because the wii isn't dominating right now.

Brettison said:
Would be interested to see where some of the XBLA and PSN stuff would have fit in this month. We have games like Scott Pilgrim, Castlevania, Monday Night Combat, Lara Croft etc... and I wonder if they would have cracked the list.

gamerbytes.com, run by gaf's rlan <3 <3 <3, is by a country mile the best source on the internet for xbla/psn leaderboard information

here's the august sales info:
http://www.gamerbytes.com/2010/09/indepth_xbox_live_arcade_sales_14.php#more
(monday night combat would break the top 5, limbo would break the top 10)

psn info is usually a week or two delayed and not as elaborate.

Top Bottom