• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2014 [Up2: Nintendo Sales Notes]

nullpoynter

With Xbox One dominating PS4 in console sales by around 500,000 consoles over November and December, it doesn't surprise me that the Xbox One would win December in Software Sales over PS4 for most titles.

You have 500,000 new Xbox One owners who need some new games to play on their shiny new console. I know when I bought my PS4, I bought like 4 games with it at launch.

Sure, the PS4 has a larger install base, but that doesn't necessarily mean those that owned the PS4 before the holidays are going to buy more games that those that got a brand new system for the holidays.

The Xbox One software sales are still very impressive, but having so many new console owners, and so many MORE new console owners than new PS4 owners, plays a very big part of that.

Exactly! Couldn't agree with you more.

I say Bloodborne will sale over 3 million in it's first year. People underestimate just how large a following souls games has.

Big Souls fan myself, but I think Dark Souls is still sitting at under 3 million units sold despite being released on 3 platforms and being heavily discounted on PC numerous times.

CrisKre

Splatoon being a multiplayer title will definitely help it have better sales than W101 or Captain Toad.

But the hype for it being the next big Mario Kart/Smash tier shooter is something I don't agree with.

I agree. Its a strange title because it has all the ingredients to *maybe* catch on and become big (except for the small Wii U userbase). If its marketed and catches on t could really help the system and sell great. Or, it could just be moderately successful. Hard to say.

Melchiah

So the hardware bundles for the XBO, were they like normal bundles where the software isn't counted? Or were they like the "buy an XBO, get to choose a free game" deal they had during Destiny's launch which counts as a sale of a game for NPD?

My thoughts as well. If that's indeed the case, again, the software figures would be as misleading as those of Destiny were, because official bundles aren't counted.

Bgamer90

Banned
So when do you think we'll see the xbo on top again? November 2015??

Are you talking about overall sales in America?

If so, I think it may happen around E3 time if the Xbox One continues on doing better than the PS4 in America with its cheaper price.

jblank83

From the clues earlier on it's ~560k.

Hrm, ok.

Funny considering the first week sales were 425k+. I didn't remember there being much of a shortage in the first month, nor a big dropoff of sales after the first week, especially considering the 6 week total was 900k.

sörine

Banned
At what price did dreamcast leave the stage at?

I think the Wii U hasn´t reached its sweet spot pricing yet, and I hope for the health of the ecosystem they find a way to reduce the price and make those gamepads a bit cheaper...
Dreamcast's final US MSRP was $49.99.

Wii U did better than I expected in December. I wonder how well it'd have done at $199?

ryan299

How much do you think it will sell cause i would considerate selling 2 millions lifetime a success

It's probably going to sell around that much, it won't bomb as i don't see the budget being that high on the game but expecting 3-4 million is way too much. Did't the souls games sell around 3 million on 3 consoles? I just don't see Bloodborne selling that much, it's still a niche game.

Also don't see it moving that many consoles bc I think the people who want to play that game are the hardcore and already own the system.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Yes, their launch was handled poorly. But the "Nintendo core" are those who purchased the system despite its foibles.

I really don't see a strategy of designing the system for the segment that will buy the system, regardless of what kind of system you design, as sound for some sort of recovery from their current position.
They need to go beyond the "Nintendo core."

I think that even the Nintendo core are still only now buying into the Wii U. Nintendo certainly wasn't focused on them at all until around the time Pikmin 3 released. Since then, it's been their clear focus. From August of 2013 through today has been a really great time to be a Nintendo fan. From the outside looking in, it appears that Nintendo's basic strategy right now is to make Wii U owners so happy with their systems that a huge percentage of them will be anxious to buy right in at the next system's launch.

Kill3r7

Wasn't there a thread about Infamous:SS out permorming Titanfall on Xbone(only)?

Infamous:SS did over a million in it's first two weeks, and was only on PS4 as apposed to Titanfall which was counting Xbone, and 360 together.

You're comparing WW vs NPD. Titanfall was the best selling game in March and April in the NA.

This thread needs some good news about PS4/bad news about XONE
It already has plenty of both.

Good: PS4 did really well in Dec. Probably around 1.1-1.2 million. How is that a disappointment exactly?

Bad: Since MS is going back to $349 tomorrow, they're in a dangerously bad position of massively de-valuing the product if they decide to cut to $249 this holiday to undercut Sony likely going to $299 this holiday.

Duxxy3

So when do you think we'll see the xbo on top again? November 2015, maybe??

February.

edit:

to get the gif train started

tumblr_m0edwpjX151qjprejo1_500.gif

Opiate

Wonderful 101 is not a high hurdle to clear, but there is an enormous gap between "Wonderful 101 sales" and "good sales." I think it's likely Splatoon will best W101, but I think it's very unlikely it will get very close to "good sales" as well.

small44

It's probably going to sell around that much, it won't bomb as i don't see the budget being that high on the game but expecting 3-4 million is way too much. Did't the souls games sell around 3 million on 3 consoles? I just don't see Bloodborne selling that much, it's still a niche game.

Also don't see it moving that many consoles bc I think the people who want to play that game are the hardcore and already own the system.

I think it will sell around 2 millions so i don't think i could say it's a bomb.
I expect a big boost in Japan but in Usa a small one 10k-20k

They are talking about 2015, not just H1, though.
Eh, reread the statement. It's a poorly structured sentence, but the latter portion refers to H1.
I think it's an indication that it will be promoted quite heavily by Nintendo (a long with its big presence along side SSB at most of the major game expos since E3). I said nothing about sales, but some people are acting like this will be some kind of W101, selling 100-150k worldwide.
I still see it as a massive question mark regardless of fanfare on places like here, even though it will be incredibly hard to flop as badly as W101.

"A shooter for young'uns" still doesn't seem like it has large market appeal.

Klocker

It already has plenty of both.

Good: PS4 did really well in Dec. Probably around 1.1-1.2 million. How is that a disappointment exactly?

Bad: Since MS is going back to $349 tomorrow, they're in a dangerously bad position of massively de-valuing the product if they decide to cut to $249 this holiday to undercut Sony likely going to $299 this holiday.

$299 by end of this year for Sony?

Highly unlikely. Maybe $349.

Hrm, ok.

Funny considering the first week sales were 425k+. I didn't remember there being much of a shortage in the first month, nor a big dropoff of sales after the first week, especially considering the 6 week total was 900k.

425k was the sales of its first month (which was about 2 weeks).

Miles X

Hrm, ok.

You're looking at it completely wrong. It's measured by actual months, the previous best for WiiU was 481k last December, not 900k.

Mory Dunz

Wonderful 101 is not a high hurdle to clear, but there is an enormous gap between "Wonderful 101 sales" and "good sales." I think it's likely Splatoon will best W101, but I think it's very unlikely it will get very close to "good sales" as well.

What's your opinion for good sales for Splatoon? Assuming it gets B-C effort marketing push. My eariler guess was 200k...but that's more than Hyrule so dunno.

Top Bottom