• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2009

Killzone launch preformed medicore, regardless of how many days it was out. Pretty much the same as LBP's launch. With some real advertising it could have done much better.

That is all I have to say. I'm out of this thread now.

DogWelder

spwolf said:
those are pretty good numbers for PS3... because last year, it wasnt $200 more expensive than competition, and economy wasnt shit.

If not for SFIV and KZ2, PS3 hardware sales would be kick ass.
iceatcs said:
Love when who people really are if quoted that picture.
Two incomprehensible posts in a row.

NekoFever

MWS Natural said:
SavethePS3.jpg
Needs more MotorStorm, Virtua Fighter 5, and Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

watership

[Nintex] said:
Shitty D-pad, that's an even bigger design flaw than the RROD.

That makes sense for people who have both systems, but that cant' be the majority of people who bought this game. There must be another reason.

DMeisterJ

Banned
[Nintex] said:
With the continued sales of:
SFIV
Cod:WaW
WiiFit
Mario Kart Wii

and the release of:
Pokemon Platinum(this'll just nuke everything)
Resident Evil 5
Halo Wars
GTA: Chinatown Wars

I doubt it'll hit the top 10 at all.

SFIV may chart, but I think that ship has sailed in March, but we'll see. I do think at least one of them will chart, but KZ2 will be above it since it launched afterwards. So all KZ2 has to fight against in march will be Wii Fit, MK Wii, Pokemon, RE5x2 Halo and GTA. So it's competing for the last three spots of the top 10.

It might not make it, but that may be because number 10 on NPD might do 300k. It's going to be a huge month!

Where is Star Ocean 4 at? Less than 132k in it's opening month? Wow.

[Nintex]

CrisKre said:
I agree with this. The amount of money sony must have poured into KZ2 development must be really really HUGE. How many years was it it took to complete again? The number are decent in real terms, just probably not for the budget this particular game had on nominal terms.
The most expensive Dutch movie was "Zwartboek" which cost a whooping 17 million euro's to produce. GG bragged that Killzone 2 was more expensive than that, possibly 20 million euro or more according to Dutch media.

It must've cost roughly $30 million, but possibly more. The 20 million euro's was just a guess by the press.

SuperBonk

somuchwater said:
I don't see that how changes anything. There are - what? - 7 million PS3's in the U.S., and less than 5% of owners bought the most anticipated game on the platform ever? Sony were clearly counting on KZ2 to be a 'smash hit'. Right now, it's merely a modest success. That's a disappointment, regardless of how you spin it.
Wait, what?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
PS3 had a price drop last in November of 2007 and its February of 2008 figures still reflect the tapering off of this boost. There is no other way to explain it-- there was no software released in February 2008 and no other reason for sales to increase. Given this explanation, YoY comparisons show that Sony needs a price drop.

Looking at how badly the PS3 missed 2008's monthly totals in November, December, and January compared to February, laugh all you want but it would appear that software (maybe exclusive software) did give it a little boost to get close to where it was coming off its price drop.

The system is too expensive and we're in tough times. There is no other explanation.

pestul

Factoring in the massive rush for KZ2 and pre-orders.. I don't see what is impressive about 300k in sales (even in 2 days). I hope it does 500k in March!

Mrbob

speculawyer said:
Fuck yeah. MSFT is the HD console savior. HD gaming is all but dead in Japan right now. And it is probably a bit slower on the uptake in Europe due to higher prices.

Maybe at one time this was true...but now it is looking like an old and tired cliche.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Tiktaalik said:
I actually thought that this was the month that we'd see Wii/Wii Fit decrease a bit from the dizzying highs of December but I guess I was wrong :lol

I expected a bit more from SF4 as well, more in the over 1 million range, mostly because of anecdotal evidence of popularity and sellouts in my area.

In NA anything that gives the "perception" that can help with weight loss and having fun at the same time, will sell a lot.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
In regards to software sales, PS3 install base is less than half of the 360 install base in NA.

kthxbai.

Made this post in the software predictions thread (well, something like this post anyway)

Some comparison numbers for KZ2...

Gears 1 - 1.00m in 3 weeks to ~3.4m 360s
Bioshock - 0.49m in 10 days (0.64m over 40 days) to ~6.1m 360s.
COD4 - 1.57m in 4 weeks to ~7.8m 360s.

PS3
COD4 - 0.44m in 4 weeks to ~2.4m PS3s.
GTAIV - 1.0m in 5 days to ~4.2m PS3s.
MGS4 - 0.74m in 3 weeks to ~4.8m PS3s.
CODW@W - 0.60m in 2 weeks to ~6.1m PS3s.

There are currently ~7.2m PS3s out there.

Will obviously be more useful next month as we'll have just over a full month of KZ2 sales for comparison.

AColdDay

I Push Fat Kids said:
Really would like to know the numbers for:

House of the Dead: Overkill
Deadly Creatures
Tenchu Wii
Dead Rising Wii

I would really like to know as well, anybody know anything?

[Nintex]

Looking at these sales, Sony should've pulled a Genesis.
Drop the price to $299 and bundle Killzone with every machine.
That's how SEGA managed to beat Nintendo back in the day(Sonic+Genesis combo).

Uncle

SuperBonk said:
What? Are you saying PS3 hardware would be better if SFIV and KZ2 weren't released this month?

No, I think he meant that if PS3 had sold this amount without SF4 and KZ2, it would be kick ass. The good games add a negative spin to the numbers while the price, economic downturn and the alignment of plantes add a positive spin.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
gofreak said:
Yeah, that's quite possible. I think it should pass 500k LTD next month, though (it probably has by now even).

Added to Europe's sales, manueldelalas, and I would hazard to guess it's popped over 1m globally already..I wouldn't be very surprised to see if it's done better in europe than na. I'm not sure what's quite so unbelievable about it passing 1m by now.
I was speaking of NA, sorry for that.

Anita Frazier said:
The Xbox 360 realized its biggest non-holiday sales month, save for September 2007, when the Halo 3 release brought in a large group of new owners. Compared to last month, the PS3 realized the greatest month-over-month unit sales increase of all platforms.
She had to reach to find something nice to say for Sony.

Anita Frazier said:
March should be another great month for software sales between Pokemon Platinum, GTA: Chinatown Wars, Halo Wars, the two MLB titles and of course, Resident Evil 5, just to name a few of the key drivers. The sheer quantity of great content coming to market early in the year should keep industry sales humming throughout 2009.
Yeah, I don't think we'll be seeing much MLB 2K9. Let's just say I have a sinking feeling about it.

315ldep.gif

SuperBonk said:
Wait, what?

Oh stop being an ass. It doesn't take a genius to see how a modest success can still be a disappointment. Unless, of course, you insist on being an ass.

And yeah, maybe I'm being premature. Maybe it will make up for things in March. But do you really think they're sitting around Sony HQ with champagne right now?

The PS3 is down YoY for the fourth month in a row, not good, but atleast KZ2 has a very impressive debut especially considering it was released for just a few days before the NPD closed for the month. SFIV had awesome numbers better than I expected (which was around 230k per platform).

Gaborn

[Nintex] said:
Looking at these sales, Sony should've pulled a Genesis.
Drop the price to $299 and bundle Killzone with every machine.
That's how SEGA managed to beat Nintendo back in the day(Sonic+Genesis combo).

I think at this point if Sony is looking to beat the Wii with the PS3 they're not going to be happy with the result.

____

somuchwater said:
I don't see that how changes anything. There are - what? - 7 million PS3's in the U.S., and less than 5% of owners bought the most anticipated game on the platform ever? Sony were clearly counting on KZ2 to be a 'smash hit'. Right now, it's merely a modest success. That's a disappointment, regardless of how you spin it.

Lol I'm spinning something?

I was asking if you were under the impression the sales were WW.

Although I'm sure nobody expected KZ2 to do millions on day one.

KZ2 will do fine lifetime sales.

Epiphyte

watership said:
That makes sense for people who have both systems, but that cant' be the majority of people who bought this game. There must be another reason.
I'd be curious to compare it to the breakdown in VF5 and SC sales

AniHawk

speculawyer said:

Yeah, I don't think we'll be seeing much MLB 2K9. Let's just say I have a sinking feeling about it.

315ldep.gif

Where was QA on this one?

dfyb

Banned
dfyb said:
people are going to lambast KZ2 for not selling 1 million out of the gate even though nobody seriously expects it to do that. hell, if it sold 1 million it'd probably get bashed for not selling 2 million.
came true. i expected 200-300k and it fell in line with my expectations. hardly a failure. most people did NOT expect KZ2 to be a mega-seller -- it's just not a realistic expectation of any PS3 exclusive that isn't a mega-franchise.

speculawyer said:

315ldep.gif

Please. It's still gonna sell well. People are idiots.

SuperBonk

somuchwater said:
Oh stop being an ass. It doesn't take a genius to see how a modest success can still be a disappointment. Unless, of course, you insist on being an ass.

And yeah, maybe I'm being premature. Maybe it will make up for things in March. But do you really think they're sitting around Sony HQ with champagne right now?
I'm just saying that if Sony was expecting it to be a smash it, then it was not a modest success. In order for it to be a success, it has to match or beat expectations. Whether it did that is entirely up for debate. But if you're saying it did not, I don't see how that can be called a success.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
MightyHedgehog said:
Not with PS3, it won't. The system is flat out stuck (overall worldwide and especially so in North America), so all they can do is make sure it doesn't drop off of the radar abruptly and completely by managing releases, marketing, and price for the rest of the generation. Sure they don't want to be compared to TG-16/PC-Engine (a good platform with some great games, but ultimately an also ran) after all is said and done. They should be concerned about this trend and I think it's smart to drop the price immediately if they see a fifth consecutive drop YoY in NA. Better to lose a chunk up front than lose a lot more later. But how much can they afford to actually lose?

This is always hard to communicate to shareholders.

Another thing to consider is that new age tech companies usually have an easier time to go for long term gains and in the process lose money short time. I am not sure if Sony has this luxury.

spwolf

SuperBonk said:
That is a very odd thing to be sarcastic about.

not if you follow sales age threads more closely.

So let me correct it for the newbies around here - if PS3 didnt not have KZ2 and SFIV, it would probably be one of the worst months in PS3 history (which is a LOT worse than almost 300k).

[Nintex]

Gaborn said:
I think at this point if Sony is looking to beat the Wii with the PS3 they're not going to be happy with the result.
I guess I just want someone to take the battle to Nintendo or Sony to take the battle to Microsoft.

It seems that Nintendo is sitting idle again untill someone sniffs at their throne.

Top Bottom