• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2009

GQman2121

Banned
I usually stay away from this thread, but god damn at those Wii Fit numbers!!! They should be charging more for those damn things.

J-Rzez

The Wii numbers are still incredibly high after all this time. How much longer can developers just keep ignoring it like they've been, and still look to be?

Not in their profit lines, but the only thing that'll save the PS3 at this point is a price drop.

360's numbers are so-so, and it doesn't necessarily look too good as they've given the potentially new consumer zero reason to be interested in their machine in the up coming months since they've not shown jack-shit to be excited for. They gotta get something out there.

FrankT

Anyone have LTDs?

deepbrown said:
Fanboy: Funny that the Wii sells souble the 360, despite the 360 being cheaper. More funny that the PS3 keeps up with the 360, despite being twice as expensive.

J-Rzez said:
360's numbers are so-so, and it doesn't necessarily look too good as they've given the potentially new consumer zero reason to be interested in their machine in the up coming months since they've not shown jack-shit to be excited for. They gotta get something out there.

2hz5rns.gif

Zoramon089 said:
You truly have to wonder what goes through the minds of 3rd party devs when they see Wii sales every month. I mean, they have to want some of that. They just have to.

Eventually they're going to realize the Wii is too profitable for them to be releasing garbage on it and complaining about it not selling. Thankfully it looks like this is changing in 2009, although most of the good games seem to be coming from Sega (as publisher but still)

I dont know most of the top guys want to work on the best equipment & tools, they probably look at the Wii as a way of getting some quick cash if anything. I mean if they did a big RPG game for instamce how many would it sell on Wii really, is that what the Wii Audience want? or have that type of audience moved on to HD consoles?

hokahey

All I can say is that as a lifelong Nintendo fan from the NES days it sure is nice seeing Nintendo on top again consistently. They deserve it.

Valtor

Banned
lawblob said:
I think the sad truth is revealing itself. A lot of people really do just buy the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player. I can't think of any other explanation for the always mediocre software sales.

You think people would buy 400$ Blu-Ray players?

TChirath

Neo Member
sprocket said:
they are realizing now as every other dev goes out of business with the techy fanboy mentallity of more graphics == better games.

Yeah now I hope developers would stop releasing shitty Wii games and release something at least half as good as Gamecube and PS2 ones :(

GDGF

Soothsayer
Rlan said:
NSMB and Mario Kart DS in the Jan Top 10, yet only Mario Kart Wii for Wii. Why isn't Super Mario Galaxy Selling to the masses?

Nintendo should give it a new commercial push to remind people that it's out there.

Gaborn

jj984jj said:
Holy fuck Sony has got to do something.

No they don't. Sony can't afford it, so they just have to accept that they're not going to "win" this generation and when it makes sense from a financial perspective they'll lower the price. Short of that they would gain... what? the "bragging" right of ONLY selling close to the 360?

J-Rzez said:
360's numbers are so-so, and it doesn't necessarily look too good as they've given the potentially new consumer zero reason to be interested in their machine in the up coming months since they've not shown jack-shit to be excited for.

a) It increased YoY
b) Feb: SFIV
c) March: Halo Wars, RE5

We play this game every month now. What made it beat the PS3 by 30% this month? "Jack shit" came out. The "new consumer" is going to have to buy one of those consoles for RE5 and SFIV.

xbhaskarx

macksplack said:
I didn't know it was npd day but damn ps2+ps3 and they still don't get x360 numbers, were did it go wrong...

The day Sony decided to make a console with an estimated initial production cost between $800-850.

Arde5643

mr_bishiuk said:
I dont know most of the top guys want to work on the best equipment & tools, they probably look at the Wii as a way of getting some quick cash if anything. I mean if they did a big RPG game for instamce how many would it sell on Wii really, is that what the Wii Audience want? or have that type of audience moved on to HD consoles?
Oh god, please don't do this shit again - do we always have to repeat this discussion ad infinitum in any NPD thread?

There's another thread where you can take this discussion away.

USD

_Alkaline_ said:
From schuelma:

Last January's numbers for comparison:

Nintendo Wii -- 274k
PlayStation 3 - 269k
PlayStation 2 - 264k
Nintendo DS -- 251k
Sony PSP ----- 230k
Xbox 360 ----- 230k
It's crazy to think about how many Wiis Nintendo would have sold if they had the supply levels they have now a year or two ago.

Epiphyte

Arde5643 said:
No worries, if we were to get a meltdown or some sort, I'm sure it will most likely have a Killzone avatar.
It's pretty much inevitable that at some point Killzone drama will surface and this thread will burn

jey_16

Banned
even though i only own a PS3....i find the reversal of fortunes for Sony from the last generation to be hilarious, how could they screw up so badly :lol

Barrett2

Valtor said:
You think people would buy 400$ Blu-Ray players?

I think a lot did in the PS3 early days, meaning the 'actual' install base of game purchasing PS3 owners is lower than the reported install base.

Mastperf

deepbrown said:
Fanboy: Funny that the Wii sells souble the 360, despite the 360 being cheaper. More funny that the PS3 keeps up with the 360, despite being twice as expensive.

The PS3 isn't "keeping up" with anyone. They are behind millions of consoles and fell even further behind last year. Starting off ~100,000 behind the first month of the year isn't a good start.
Hell, just look at the software sales.

YYZ

Rapping Granny said:
Man, did Sony fuck your mother?
yea, didn't you know that he's the lovechild? Sony left the baby in the crib. Anger and hatred raged on inside for years, only to emerge on NPD-day.

Flyguy

deepbrown said:
Define "keep up." If by keep up you mean "to sell less than every single month," then I agree with you.

Kolgar

J-Rzez said:
Not in their profit lines, but the only thing that'll save the PS3 at this point is a price drop.

Doubtful. It's over. The perception is now that PS3 is a dead fish, a lame horse, pick your metaphor.

So Sony drops the price. Who's the console going to sell to? 360's already become the de facto standard for the hardcore, and its grip is tightening, not loosening.

Joke post? Sarcasm? Really, how many more NPDs is it going to take?

Top Bottom