• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2010

Nirolak said:
Did you miss the news? Sony went third party last week.

It's a licensed game based on a Reality TV show.

Wipeout was made for the Sega Saturn after Sony owned the developer. Stranger things have happened.

DMeisterJ said:
Aside from the whole 'imaginary' thing (PS3 doome people were definitely real), I agree with the whole statement. Places haven't mattered since about 2007 when it became clear that no matter how bad the PS3 was doing, it was still getting major third-party support.

For every one "PS3 is doomed" post you could find to feed crow to, you could find 50 of the "PS3 instant win" posts pre-launch from posters that still have their mouths full of crow. Where is my Wollen pic of the drawing of the pick up trucks crossing the finish line when I need it?

poppabk said:
Why not? The only reason would be so as to not lose mindshare - however the massive downturn for the PS3 this generation shows that mindshare isn't everything.

If anything, I think PS3's complete collapse and failure on the back of nothing but being majorly overpriced, and then its huge surge worldwide based on a purely aesthetic reinvention whose main job was to point out to people with bad impressions of the platform how it had changed over the years, shows that mindshare is still quite relevant, sometimes moreso than actual factual qualities.

Vinci said:
@ ShockingAlberto: I agree that Nintendo needs to bring out a new console within the next year or two... IF they're out of gas on ideas for the Wii.

It seems pretty clear to me from the lineup that we've seen that at very least they're out of expanded-market ideas.

Hell, they probably need to anyway, though I wonder if the Wii's successor could ever get the sort of 3rd party attention the 3DS is likely poised to. Doubtful.

If they could even just get looped in on every multiplat game that'd already be an order of magnitude or two improvement from the Wii.

farnham

Banned
charlequin said:
It seems pretty clear to me from the lineup that we've seen that at very least they're out of expanded-market ideas.

the thing is. we dont know their lineup. all we know is their holiday 2010 lineup and zelda for 2011.

360 numbers are great, but the bump is probably completely generated by repeat buyers of the system. I suppose it's only natural that when you launch a system that is originally a shoddy design and then release a slim that is significantly better in terms of its design (RROD resolved, 250 GB HDD included, WiFi included, MUCH quieter), the fervent fanbase is going to jump on that. Especially when that fervent fanbase has already been known to buy many iterations of 360's already given the high failure rate of the console.

Not to say this didn't happen when other consoles received a redesign, but I think the effect is much greater on the 360 side in the US given the advantages of upgrading. With the PS3 slim, for instance, you would be downgrading in most instances thanks to no backwards compatibility and less memory reader/USB ports. There truly was very little incentive to upgrade outside of aesthetic reasons. So there were probably significantly more new buyers when the PS3 Slim / Price drop hit.

It's also interesting to see third party sales...PS3 is inching up considerably. Just look at NCAA capturing almost an even split on the PS3 versus the 360. So, despite the large sales of hardware this month for the 360, there wasn't anything to really boast about on the 360 side for software. PS3 continues to eat away at the 360's share in the US for many third party titles. Which does more to bolster my point about most of these sales being to repeat buyers.

As far as PS3 coming in second this gen world wide, it's inevitable, and it'll more than likely happen sometime next year. Those who say it ultimately doesn't matter are only partially right in that assessment. And it's also funny hearing those same people that gloated about the PS3 being a 'failure' and in last place with all sorts of memes (LOL PS3 is dead, LOL PS3 haz no gamez) are now coming out and saying it doesn't matter. Of course it matters. True, from a third party support standpoint it doesn't matter to a large degree, but Microsoft is going to have to pony up more money in order to keep certain titles or DLC exclusive, and the momentum going into next-gen will be on Sony's side, and that can certainly be a problem for Microsoft.

Furthermore, it's amazing to see that even amidst all this discussion of PS3 vs 360, let us not forget that the PS2 outsold the 360 last quarter. Sony has been able to establish themselves in developing markets, which will allow them to see a PS2 --> PS3 transition in these regions as the PS3 gets further into its lifecycle.

Microsoft has done well in the US, but they've really failed to broaden their market globally other than the UK. In terms of financial successes and losers, it's a toss up. Both Microsoft and Sony have lost billions of dollars this gen, but Microsoft has only done it in support of one platform. The PS3 in comparison is a cornerstone of nearly every single major Sony electronics device; Blu-Ray players, Blu-Ray discs, Televisions, 3D televisions, etc. In other words, investment in the PS3 has undoubtedly paid off in these other peripheral divisions, so it's difficult to quantify the true losses. And in the future years, Blu-Ray disc sales alone are projected to make them hundreds of millions of dollars annually.

Going forward, Halo Reach will sell well, and 360 sales will probably be around 500k for the month of September as well, but it's ultimately going to be up to Kinect to push sales to new owners rather than repeat buyers. And after that? Who knows. Depends on if Kinect has any sort of legs.

PS3 really doesn't have anything to worry about sales wise. This month the PS3 sold better than the Xbox 360 did last year at around this time, so if I were to look at holiday sales for the PS3 in the US this fall without any sort of price cut they will probably be slightly lower than last year, but still incredibly strong. 700k November and maybe a 1200-1300k December. Around what the 360 did last year. 360 this year will probably be flat or slightly up for November and December. And world wide the PS3 will make huge gains on the 360.

2011 is where things get interesting, and I'd argue that if Sony can manage to pull the $199 card out of their hat next fall then they will have their highest sales yet...around 17 million or so in one year whenever PS3 gets to 199. Their lineup next year is also absolutely stacked with releases, even more than this year.

Taurus

Kim Possible said:
360 numbers are great, but the bump is probably completely generated by repeat buyers of the system. I suppose it's only natural that when you launch a system that is originally a shoddy design and then release a slim that is significantly better in terms of its design (RROD resolved, 250 GB HDD included, WiFi included, MUCH quieter), the fervent fanbase is going to jump on that. Especially when that fervent fanbase has already been known to buy many iterations of 360's already given the high failure rate of the console.

Not to say this didn't happen when other consoles received a redesign, but I think the effect is much greater on the 360 side in the US given the advantages of upgrading. With the PS3 slim, for instance, you would be downgrading in most instances thanks to no backwards compatibility and less memory reader/USB ports. There truly was very little incentive to upgrade outside of aesthetic reasons. So there were probably significantly more new buyers when the PS3 Slim / Price drop hit.

It's also interesting to see third party sales...PS3 is inching up considerably. Just look at NCAA capturing almost an even split on the PS3 versus the 360. So, despite the large sales of hardware this month for the 360, there wasn't anything to really boast about on the 360 side for software. PS3 continues to eat away at the 360's share in the US for many third party titles. Which does more to bolster my point about most of these sales being to repeat buyers.

As far as PS3 coming in second this gen world wide, it's inevitable, and it'll more than likely happen sometime next year. Those who say it ultimately doesn't matter are only partially right in that assessment. And it's also funny hearing those same people that gloated about the PS3 being a 'failure' and in last place with all sorts of memes (LOL PS3 is dead, LOL PS3 haz no gamez) are now coming out and saying it doesn't matter. Of course it matters. True, from a third party support standpoint it doesn't matter to a large degree, but Microsoft is going to have to pony up more money in order to keep certain titles or DLC exclusive, and the momentum going into next-gen will be on Sony's side, and that can certainly be a problem for Microsoft.

Furthermore, it's amazing to see that even amidst all this discussion of PS3 vs 360, let us not forget that the PS2 outsold the 360 last quarter. Sony has been able to establish themselves in developing markets, which will allow them to see a PS2 --> PS3 transition in these regions as the PS3 gets further into its lifecycle.

Microsoft has done well in the US, but they've really failed to broaden their market globally other than the UK. In terms of financial successes and losers, it's a toss up. Both Microsoft and Sony have lost billions of dollars this gen, but Microsoft has only done it in support of one platform. The PS3 in comparison is a cornerstone of nearly every single major Sony electronics device; Blu-Ray players, Blu-Ray discs, Televisions, 3D televisions, etc. In other words, investment in the PS3 has undoubtedly paid off in these other peripheral divisions, so it's difficult to quantify the true losses. And in the future years, Blu-Ray disc sales alone are projected to make them hundreds of millions of dollars annually.

Going forward, Halo Reach will sell well, and 360 sales will probably be around 500k for the month of September as well, but it's ultimately going to be up to Kinect to push sales to new owners rather than repeat buyers. And after that? Who knows. Depends on if Kinect has any sort of legs.

PS3 really doesn't have anything to worry about sales wise. This month the PS3 sold better than the Xbox 360 did last year at around this time, so if I were to look at holiday sales for the PS3 in the US this fall without any sort of price cut they will probably be slightly lower than last year, but still incredibly strong. 700k November and maybe a 1200-1300k December. Around what the 360 did last year. 360 this year will probably be flat or slightly up for November and December. And world wide the PS3 will make huge gains on the 360.

2011 is where things get interesting, and I'd argue that if Sony can manage to pull the $199 card out of their hat next fall then they will have their highest sales yet...around 17 million or so in one year whenever PS3 gets to 199. Their lineup next year is also absolutely stacked with releases, even more than this year.
Or same text put in one picture:

2qsugw2.jpg

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
charlequin said:
If anything, I think PS3's complete collapse and failure on the back of nothing but being majorly overpriced, and then its huge surge worldwide based on a purely aesthetic reinvention whose main job was to point out to people with bad impressions of the platform how it had changed over the years, shows that mindshare is still quite relevant, sometimes moreso than actual factual qualities.
But the PS3's failure and subsequent rebirth demonstrate how striking while the iron is hot isn't necessarily the way to maintain mindshare - because it doesn't necessarily transfer from one platform to the next.
The Wii transforming Nintendo from also ran to market leader in the console space shows the opposite as well, with the right product and the right marketing you can gain mindshare overnight.

McHuj

Kim Possible said:
360 numbers are great, but the bump is probably completely generated by repeat buyers of the system.

That doesn't matter. The majority of the repeat buyers end up selling/trading in their old systems which in turn are resold to new consumers so the end result is the same: a bigger user base.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
farnham said:
its just that 2011 seems to be too soon. 2012 japan and 2013 worldwide seems to be more likely

[/IMG]

As I stated earlier in the thread, I still believe the next Wii is out next Christmas in the U.S. and Japan.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Kim Possible said:

Psst, your bias is showing.

Kim Possible said:
wall of rubbish.

wow at all this. for one 360s sales arent just from repeat buyers. if this were the case then COD wouldnt be back in the top 10. as far as broadening the market globally they are completely dominating one market, tied in one, and fail in another which also happens to be the smallest market. I wouldnt call that bad. especially since they should have lost to sony in the first place. your sales predictions are absolutely ridiculous as well. So what if sony drops to 199? MS will follow. And what about Kinect? You really think MS will sell the same as last holiday with a redesign, halo, fable AND kinect? :lolx100,000

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
charlequin said:
Wii went from selling outrageously well to selling okay to selling kind of poorly very early on in its lifespan Japan and since then has managed to maintain consistently mediocre numbers that are above its worst point, while in the US it sold "well" for ages and just now is declining. So its actual local delta is trending downwards in the US and steady or very slightly upwards in Japan, but its been off its game for a while in Japan.
Wii is off its game for almost 2 years in Japan and selling outrageously didn't last more than 9 months. Its current situation in Japan isn't something new. One way or the other at Wii will retain its sales in Japan at 2011. The situation in West next year should be more worrying.

Boney

Banned
farnham said:
4 million units were sold in december alone. that number was due to the combination of wii fit plus, wii sports resort and new super mario bros.
Well of course it's a combination of games. But WSR didn't really spur sales on it's own on it's release on August. But the combintation of a price drop and Wii finally catching up with demand made it such a huge holiday success.

WasteLand Soldier said:
wow at all this. for one 360s sales arent just from repeat buyers. if this were the case then COD wouldnt be back in the top 10. as far as broadening the market globally they are completely dominating one market, tied in one, and fail in another which also happens to be the smallest market. I wouldnt call that bad. especially since they should have lost to sony in the first place. your sales predictions are absolutely ridiculous as well. So what if sony drops to 199? MS will follow. And what about Kinect? You really think MS will sell the same as last holiday with a redesign, halo, fable AND kinect? :lolx100,000
Well CoD has been constantly trucking along, and well since the software sales were all around low, it's notb surprising to see it show up again. Although I am not, in way saying that that sales bump was caused by repeated buyers. And yes Microsoft should have a pretty strong holiday too.

McHuj said:
That doesn't matter. The majority of the repeat buyers end up selling/trading in their old systems which in turn are resold to new consumers so the end result is the same: a bigger user base.

It's also a bit of a revisionist reach, since the PS3 slim completely rewrote the PS3's fortunes for the better part of a year (the PS3 was doomed before it dropped to $299, if I recall Activision even threatened to pull the plug). Nearly all of the gains that the PS3 made against the 360, for the entire generation, have been since last September.

Saying the 360 sales are going to immediately fall off of a cliff ignores very recent precedent, saying it will only make a minimal dent in new customers ignores the sudden 100k+ sales spike for MW2 in the middle of the summer.

Barring the appearance of new un-announced killer app this fall, I see the 360 substantially outselling the PS3 this fall, despite the price "parity" that Sony worked so hard for last year.

FoneBone

Sho_Nuff82 said:
If the next Nintendo console doesn't have an online system at PSN level or better, it still won't matter, sparks or not.

Nintendo's hesitation on a serious storage solution and an online infrastructure of any kind are probably its biggest limitations on grabbing the other half of the console marketshare, not HD.
Agreed... this is why I'm very much anticipating the release of details on the online strategy for 3DS, as I think that'll be a strong indicator of what they're looking to implement in their next console.

Busaiku

I still can't see a Wii successor in 2011.
With most of their developers working on 3DS (which requires a similar cycle to Wii games), I don't see how they can churn out games for a Wii successor as well.

Kim Possible said:

I'm pretty sure this is a joke post.

knitoe

I thought Microsoft had a shot at outselling the Wii this holiday with "HOT ITEM" = Kinect. The last 2 months totally surprise me. Now, I am pretty much sure Microsoft will win this holiday and maybe even capture the YTD total.

AniHawk

Considering the first party lineup next year is presumably Zelda, Pikmin 3, Xenoblade, Wii Relax, and Last Story, I don't think Nintendo will try to launch a new system that close to a couple high profile names and a few that could do decent with proper advertising (namely Pikmin and Xenoblade). Also, the 3DS is getting software from the handheld Zelda team, the Mario Kart team, probably some people from EAD for Pilotwings and Star Fox 64, and IntSys's Paper Mario team, so software for a Wii Next launch probably won't be ready for another year anyway (IntSys finished the Fire Emblem 3 remake, so my guess is they're behind a Wario Ware for the 3DS and/or a Rhythm Tengoku 3DS at the moment instead of any Wii Next software).

Next year will be the last full year for the Wii, but it's going to be pretty barren for the most of the year, not unlike what happened with the Gamecube.

Paracelsus

knitoe said:
I thought Microsoft had a shot at outselling the Wii this holiday with "HOT ITEM" = Kinect. The last 2 months totally surprise me. Now, I am pretty much sure Microsoft will win this holiday and maybe even capture the YTD total.

You do realize they would have to sell over 3 millions this December and there's absolutely no reason for that to happen?

FrankT

comedy bomb said:
I wonder if it's possible for the 360 to surpass the Wii for this year. That would be interesting.

+150K for the next two months would do it, but beyond October everything would be off the table really.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
DMeisterJ said:
I'm not sure how you can doubt official shipment numbers from both companies...
----
Not that it's relevant who is catching up to whom, but yes, in the recent past the PS3 has been gaining ground on the 360... Will that continue? Who knows.

Really? I stand corrected then...

Nextyear won't be the last year for Wii. They need to see what move and kinect do first. Unless they have something completely out of the box yet again which I doubt, they're at a stand still. This is why the 3ds is so important for them.

FrankT

WasteLand Soldier said:
Where are you getting 3m? The lead isn't even 500k :lol

It's actually 291k which is certainly possible in the next two months. However serious gaps occur in the Nov-Dec window.

WasteLand Soldier said:

Repeat buyer arguments never work out so well and I thought Stump made it pretty clear last month why; SW sales. The attach rate hasn't gone anywhere but up. Regardless the joke post et al pretty much nails it.

RedStep

McHuj said:

WRONG

They throw them in the trash.

Everybody knows that there are two 360s in a landfill for every one in use. There are actually only like 6 million 360 owners.

On a good day.

watership

Kim Possible said:

This is the most hilarious post in thread so far. Amazing work.

Lyude77

WasteLand Soldier said:
Where are you getting 3m? The lead isn't even 500k :lol
He was guessing at how many 360s would have to sell based on how the Wii usually does in the November/December months. I think he's right, MS doesn't typically sell as much as Nintendo in December, and unless something drastic happens, the trend will continue because of the Wii's strong holiday lineup.

Lunchbox

Banned
Kim Possible said:

L0vp0.gif

Kim Possible said:

Quoted for posterior

knitoe

Lyude77 said:
He was guessing at how many 360s would have to sell based on how the Wii usually does in the November/December months. I think he's right, MS doesn't typically sell as much as Nintendo in December, and unless something drastic happens, the trend will continue because of the Wii's strong holiday lineup.
That's if Wii sale stay on pace as previous years. If Kinect is the "hot" holiday item, it's going to attract possible Wii buyers and put them into Kinect bundle. And, that's how Microsoft can pull out YTD numbers.

farnham

Banned
knitoe said:
That's if Wii sale stay on pace as previous years. If Kinect is the "hot" holiday item, it's going to attract possible Wii buyers and put them into Kinect bundle. And, that's how Microsoft can pull out YTD numbers.
thats a lot of IFs there

if kinect is the hot holiday item and if wii cant reach last years pace the 360 might catch the wiis ytd.

i highly doubt it though

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
Kim Possible said:

I guess you are the Sony PR troll. I hope you are a joke poster
By the way Sony did say they are not dropping the price of the PS3 anytime soon. It is staying at $300 they are just now profitable.

With ms treating kinect as a relaunch, advertising to be off the wall, and the kinect bundle for $300 ms definately has a shot at beating Wii for the year.

Stumpokapow said:
Previous NPD posts:

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a joke post.

Not exactly a wonderful record for a junior with 16 posts.

Really seems like an alt. Some of the writing style "sounds" really familiar.

Cygnus X-1

AniHawk said:
Considering the first party lineup next year is presumably Zelda, Pikmin 3, Xenoblade, Wii Relax, and Last Story, I don't think Nintendo will try to launch a new system that close to a couple high profile names and a few that could do decent with proper advertising (namely Pikmin and Xenoblade). Also, the 3DS is getting software from the handheld Zelda team, the Mario Kart team, probably some people from EAD for Pilotwings and Star Fox 64, and IntSys's Paper Mario team, so software for a Wii Next launch probably won't be ready for another year anyway (IntSys finished the Fire Emblem 3 remake, so my guess is they're behind a Wario Ware for the 3DS and/or a Rhythm Tengoku 3DS at the moment instead of any Wii Next software).

Next year will be the last full year for the Wii, but it's going to be pretty barren for the most of the year, not unlike what happened with the Gamecube.

It's a paradox, but Wii needs probably some additional casual games. Wii Party comes this holiday, but Mario Sports Mix for next year is definitely not enough. It is likely that the develpment of 3DS games is absorbing more and more ressources.

I'm sure Nintendo is on a bet, i.e. they're hoping that 3DS will largely compensate the drops of Wii and of course DS.

Stumpokapow said:
Previous NPD posts:

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a joke post.

Not exactly a wonderful record for a junior with 16 posts.
I don't think there's anything grossly wrong with what she's saying about the PS3 catching up to the 360 ww, but extrapolating those yoy increases for the PS3 forever just isn't very logical given the numbers we have for the last two months. And it ignores that MS has gone the longest without a true price drop.

The PS3 shortage is over - it will take price drops and huge software releases for Sony to maintain hw momentum indefinitely. GT5 is one such game, but most of 2011 announced so far for all 3 consoles is known sequels.

farnham

Banned
Cygnus X-1 said:
It's a paradox, but Wii needs probably some additional casual games. Wii Party comes this holiday, but Mario Sports Mix for next year is definitely not enough. It is likely that the develpment of 3DS games is absorbing more and more ressources.

I'm sure Nintendo is on a bet, i.e. they're hoping that 3DS will largely compensate the drops of Wii and of course DS.
i still think wii relax will hit this year. we will see soon enough though. they have a conference about 3DS end of september so i guess they will talk about wii in that event too.

Penguin

farnham said:
i still think wii relax will hit this year. we will see soon enough though. they have a conference about 3DS end of september so i guess they will talk about wii in that event too.

I could see Wii Relax coming out this year in Japan, but I don't think Nintendo needs it in the States/Europe for the end of the year.

I think their line-up is pretty well rounded as it is, and anymore games would just start to eat into itself.

Top Bottom